PDA

View Full Version : Help Correctly Setting up Display Resolution

ryn1727
29th January 2008, 01:29 AM
Hey everyone I just installed a fresh copy of Fedora 8 and need help fixing the display resolution. First off Im kind new to linux so sorry if I mess something up along the way. My computer is a Dell Inspiron E1505 with a ATI Mobility Radeon x1400 graphics card. The natural display is supposed to be 1680x1050.

I went ahead and ran these commands to update the driver

Code:

su - rpm -Uhv http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-8.rpm yum install kmod-fglrx xorg-x11-drv-fglrx xorg-x11-drv-fglrx-libs-32bit yum update kmod-fglrx xorg-x11-drv-fglrx xorg-x11-drv-fglrx-libs-32bit service fglrx restart fglrx-config-display enable

and after that I tried changing the monitor type in display settings to LCD and 1680x1050 but when I restarted I couldn't get the computer to boot, so to make it easier to get help I reinstalled fedora 8 and ran the commands from up above again.

I have also attached my xorg.conf if that is any help.

LordMorgul
29th January 2008, 02:36 AM
Try manually adding the modes to your xorg.conf:

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "1680x1050" "1280x800" "1024x768"
EndSubSection
EndSection

The others are there to attempt to get it to use something else if 1680 is causing a problem.

After you change that, run telinit 3 as root, then login as your normal user and run:
startx >& /tmp/xfails.txt

If X works fine, you're good to go, logout then run telinit 5 as root, and login graphically. If it fails, then post the file /tmp/xfails.txt here and maybe you can get some more specific help on the driver issue.

(if you have problems with those instructions, try getting the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log and post it here)

ryn1727
29th January 2008, 05:46 AM
thanks for the quick reply LordMorgul. I did what you said to and everything booted back up but the resolution is now stuck at 1024x768. I attached the xfails file too. is there anything else i can do to get the resolution back up?

LordMorgul
29th January 2008, 07:07 AM
thanks for the quick reply LordMorgul. I did what you said to and everything booted back up but the resolution is now stuck at 1024x768. I attached the xfails file too. is there anything else i can do to get the resolution back up?

dlopen: /usr/lib/xorg/modules//glesx.so: cannot restore segment prot after reloc: Permission denied
(EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules//glesx.so
(EE) Failed to load module "glesx" (loader failed, 7)

I'm not very familiar with the ATI drivers, but this error looks suspiciously like access to the file was denied by SELinux. Is selinux enabled on your computer right now? If you don't know then
/usr/sbin/getenforce
will tell you, or look at /etc/selinux/config

Please go ahead and attach the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log to review the issue with other resolutions, it should indicate why those are not used.

You may also try this option:
In the System->Preferences->Hardware menu, you should find 'Screen Resolution'. If you open this app you can change your current used screen resolution, for that user only. Your graphical login will continue to use 1024x768 or whatever is configured in xorg.conf, but your user can use something else. This only works if the X server (and driver you are using) supports the RANDR extension. The Xorg.0.log file should also indicate if that was loaded or not.