PDA

View Full Version : Help booting FC8 on Sony vaio VGN-NR11S

appleimac
27th January 2008, 08:22 PM
Hey guys i have a sony VGN-NR11S I have decided to move from vista to FC8 but when I tyr to boot the disk FC8 does not see my dvd drive so it will not boot.

Can someone please help me out on how to install. Also if I do manage to get it to boot will all my devices work like sound wireless etc.

Many Thanks

Matt

glennzo
28th January 2008, 02:33 AM
Hey guys i have a sony VGN-NR11S I have decided to move from vista to FC8 but when I tyr to boot the disk FC8 does not see my dvd drive so it will not boot.Here's some obvious questions, so don't be insulted. Are you sure the bios is set to use the DVD to boot? Are you sure the DVD device works in Windows? Are you sure you got a good burn when you made the disk?

Also if I do manage to get it to boot will all my devices work like sound wireless etc.No guarantee on any of that. Most of us have been able to get most of our hardware to work. Have to wait and see what you get when you get it installed.

stoat
28th January 2008, 02:58 AM
Hello everybody,

Some more of those potentially insulting questions (about things that happen a lot):

Did you burn the ISO image to the disk and not the ISO file itself? Examine the DVD with a file manager like Windows Explorer. If you see the ISO file that you downloaded, then you did the latter. If you see files (fedora.css, RPM keys, etc) and folders (images, isolinux, Packages), then never mind about this.

Did you use a brand/type of media known to work in your drive? Sometimes rewritable disks don't work as well. And not all brands of disks always work well in my drives. Sometimes burning at less than the disk's maximum rated speed helps.

Did you verify that the downloaded ISO file was good? You can generate a SHA-1 hash with various utililtes in Windows (sha1sum.exe (ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/binary), HashCalc (http://www.slavasoft.com/hashcalc/index.htm)) and compare the result to the hash in the file SHA1SUM on the server where you got your ISO file.

My apologies if nothing I said was relevant. I had no way to know, and this stuff happens all the time.

appleimac
28th January 2008, 09:42 AM
Hey guys I could not get FC8 to work so I thought I would try ubuntu and it work striaght away.

It installed everything, So my drive works fine. I dont really want to use ubuntu I want FC8.

The dvd I created I no it works because it boots but when it gets to the point about where are you installing the media from it does not recognise my dvd drive it does not have the driver

EDIT: I have now managed to get my laptop to boot the disk. The first disk I created was using Nero. The disk booted but would not recognise my dvd drive.

The second disk I created I did on my imac using Toast and it work perfectly now.

Thanks for the help guys

MAtt

appleimac
28th January 2008, 12:58 PM
Hey guys I have installed FC8 and everything works except for the wireless.

How do I find out what wireless card I have and how do I get it working.

The wireless card worked straight away in ubuntu. Really wanna get it working in FC8

Cheers

glennzo
28th January 2008, 03:07 PM
Hey guys I have installed FC8 and everything works except for the wireless.

How do I find out what wireless card I have and how do I get it working.

The wireless card worked straight away in ubuntu. Really wanna get it working in FC8

CheersOpen a terminal and type lspci | grep Wireless or just lspci and see if your wireless adapter is listed, then post the results here.

appleimac
28th January 2008, 05:13 PM
Hey guys here is the output from the lspci command

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 0c)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Contoller #4 (rev 03)
00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev f3)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801HEM (ICH8M) LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Unknown device 4353 (rev 14)
06:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (rev 02)
08:03.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Cardbus Controller
08:03.1 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments PCIxx12 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
08:03.2 Mass storage controller: Texas Instruments 5-in-1 Multimedia Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO/xD)

How can I get the wireless to work please.

Any help would be great

glennzo
28th January 2008, 05:33 PM
This is it: 06:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (rev 02) Go to system > administration > services and start NetworkManager and check the box next to it so it starts at boot. Save and exit. There should be an icon in the top panel. Click it to see wireless access points. See the screen shot also.

appleimac
28th January 2008, 07:05 PM
HI mate

I did what you said I have have th icon in the top right of the screen. I click on the icon and I can see the avaliable networks and mine is there so I try to connect and it asked the wep key so I add it but it does not connect the icon has a green dot with a blue swirl going around then another green dot will light up but then it will come back and ask me for the wep key.

Is my wireless working because my wireless light on the front of the laptop is not on.

Many Thanks

Matt

glennzo
28th January 2008, 11:29 PM
Working or not is a tough call with regard to the light. I'd say that since it's trying to connect that it's working. I recently changed to WEP and had a little trouble completing the connection, but it does work fine. I'd suggest trying the different types of WEP security. If you can't connect with one try the next, etc.