PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 8 Install on Asus eeePC howto

fwelland
26th January 2008, 03:17 PM
I have added a bunch of new stuff to this howto.

Go Here:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze2j8bn/eeePC-F8.html

Today's updates include:
-added an Overclock section

Recent updates include:
-made some clarifications in wireless section
-added a section about updating the kernel
-minor grammar/spelling tweaks
-added a section about some minor ram/disc savings
-added a section about removing some un-needed packages.

I hope this helps someone, and feedback welcome.

karlpiuemeno
3rd April 2008, 08:34 AM
I have added a bunch of new stuff to this howto.

Go Here:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze2j8bn/eeePC-F8.html

Today's updates include:
-added an Overclock section

Recent updates include:
-made some clarifications in wireless section
-added a section about updating the kernel
-minor grammar/spelling tweaks
-added a section about some minor ram/disc savings
-added a section about removing some un-needed packages.

I hope this helps someone, and feedback welcome.

Interesting :O

My eeepc will ship in april.. and I found eeedora as best alternative to the pre-installed xandros distro....

but I'm going to read your how to, because I want to understand how to put directly our loved fedora in eeepc :D

Duli
22nd April 2008, 12:04 AM
Hello, fwelland:

Nice work you did there! :)

I'm trying to get Fn Keys to work. Have you tried to compile the asus_acpi module provided by Asus?

duli

fwelland
22nd April 2008, 02:10 PM
Hi,

I don't really use that module. However, I just compiled it fine under FC 8 -- I am currently using kernel 2.6.24.4-64.fc8 on my EEEPC

The only thing I did to compile it was to change the first line of the make file to point to my current kernel -- like this:

KERNEL_VERSION := 2.6.24.4-64.fc8

It compiled with a couple of warnings. FWIW -- in a F8 Kernel update there was some asus acpi for eeePC support added. I actually don't fully know what that support is -- but maybe the FN keys will work.

Currently for me - some of the Fn keys just work -- the brightness/darkness ones seem to work fine.

I have remapped the volume control keys to combos that I prefer.

Page up, end, home page up - have always worked for me. I haven't fiddle with the other ones.

I hope that helps

Duli
22nd April 2008, 02:25 PM
Hi,

I don't really use that module. However, I just compiled it fine under FC 8 -- I am currently using kernel 2.6.24.4-64.fc8 on my EEEPC

The only thing I did to compile it was to change the first line of the make file to point to my current kernel -- like this:

KERNEL_VERSION := 2.6.24.4-64.fc8

It compiled with a couple of warnings. FWIW -- in a F8 Kernel update there was some asus acpi for eeePC support added. I actually don't fully know what that support is -- but maybe the FN keys will work.

Currently for me - some of the Fn keys just work -- the brightness/darkness ones seem to work fine.

I have remapped the volume control keys to combos that I prefer.

Page up, end, home page up - have always worked for me. I haven't fiddle with the other ones.

I hope that helps

Hum, yes, Ive managed to compile that module under F9 as well (using a patch provided by some guy in eeeuser.com). It has loaded just fine, but nothing seems to change after that.

Those Fn Keys you mentioned also works for me (even without the asus_acpi module), but what Im really looking forward to is to get the Wireless Fn Key worinkg.

Those guys from Eeedora apparently did it. It seems they use the asus_acpi as well, but I dont know what Im doing wrong...

Do you know what default module controls those Fn keys in Fedora? Maybe I could try to unload it first.

Thanks
duli