PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 8 PROBLEMS!

matt.bleasby
24th January 2008, 10:50 AM
Dear All,

I have been folowing linux for a few years now, and yesterday i put Fedora 8 on My personal laptop ( Model : Acer Travelmate 4500 ) now i checked the capabilities and from what i can see it should be fine, please bare in mind i am an IT Systems Engineer,

after installing i booted up, and when i actually got into linux it freezes, there is no set time that it does this, just randum within the first 2 minutes of logging in, sometimes on the logon screen,

i would be greatfully thankfull if somebody can help me with this problem!

Best Regards,

Matt Bleasby

matt.bleasby
24th January 2008, 11:06 AM
Also, just to lett you know, i was running windows XP Pro, and that worked fine, when it freezes the mouse still works!

sorry for double post

glennzo
24th January 2008, 11:09 AM
Hi Matt, welcome to Fedora Forum. Any chance you can check the system logs for clues? Try logging in to run level 3 and see if it locks up there. Also have a look at dmesg. Might be something there that would help.

matt.bleasby
24th January 2008, 11:11 AM
Hi Matt, welcome to Fedora Forum. Any chance you can check the system logs for clues? Try logging in to run level 3 and see if it locks up there. Also have a look at dmesg. Might be something there that would help.

Im currently at work, but how would i go about doing this, sorry i havnt really used linux much before, just looked into it, but thaught finally of it!

:eek: Speedy Reply!

glennzo
24th January 2008, 11:35 AM
Im currently at work, but how would i go about doing this, sorry i havnt really used linux much before, just looked into it, but thaught finally of it!

:eek: Speedy Reply!
Well, if you can manage to run GUI mode for a bit you can select Applications > System Tools > System Log to view the log files. To log in to run level 3, at the boot menu select Fedora and press the letter 'e'. Select the line that looks like this:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.9-85.fc8 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
and press 'e' again. Append a space and the number 3 to the end of the line, press enter and press 'b' to boot. This will boot to a command line from which you can log in as root and examine logs in /var/log. You can do this with the cat command, for example cat /var/log/messages | more. You can also type dmesg | more at the prompt and you will see a ton of boot info a page at a time.

Edit: I'm wondering, Matt, what the cause of the freeze up could be. Probably any number of things. Display issues are a big deal. The mouse works fine when the system is locked? Perhaps a video driver issue?

matt.bleasby
24th January 2008, 11:41 AM
Well, if you can manage to run GUI mode for a bit you can select Applications > System Tools > System Log to view the log files. To log in to run level 3, at the boot menu select Fedora and press the letter 'e'. Select the line that looks like this:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.9-85.fc8 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
and press 'e' again. Append a space and the number 3 to the end of the line, press enter and press 'b' to boot. This will boot to a command line from which you can log in as root and examine logs in /var/log. You can also type dmesg | more at the prompt and you will see a ton of boot info a page at a time.

i dont get chance to really get into programs or anything, it generally freezes before then, i will try the above though, and post here, if it does or doesent freeze ( Is this like a safe mode )

Thanks mate :)

glennzo
24th January 2008, 11:46 AM
Runlevel 3 is full multiuser mode without the GUI. You will be presented with a command line only. Log in as root, which is generally not recommended but for a new user who probably hasn't setup sudo yet...

matt.bleasby
24th January 2008, 11:50 AM
Runlevel 3 is full multiuser mode without the GUI. You will be presented with a command line only. Log in as root, which is generally not recommended but for a new user who probably hasn't setup sudo yet...

Hmmm... ok! ill see what i can do, but i am new to linux, sorry to be a pain!

glennzo
24th January 2008, 12:03 PM
You're not a pain. Just someone looking for help and feeling his way around a new OS. This is the right place for help with Fedora, so take it one step at a time, exercise patience, and we'll get you up and running. Just keep in mind that most of us aren't prowling Fedora Forum 24/7 so replies may not be as quick as you would like them to be.

leigh123linux
24th January 2008, 12:48 PM
Moved to the Laptop section

matt.bleasby
24th January 2008, 01:01 PM
You're not a pain. Just someone looking for help and feeling his way around a new OS. This is the right place for help with Fedora, so take it one step at a time, exercise patience, and we'll get you up and running. Just keep in mind that most of us aren't prowling Fedora Forum 24/7 so replies may not be as quick as you would like them to be.

Thanks mate