PDA

View Full Version : removal of broken package from rpm database.

FriedChips
24th January 2008, 04:59 AM
I have just got a new rawhide x86_64 system going, and I am having a little trouble with the gdm package. I wanted to remove it and replace it with a rebuilt package, but when I "rpm -e gdm" it throws a couple errors ( can post the specifics if needed, but not logged into it atm ) and does not remove it. I did "rpmdb --rebuild" after a couple "rpm -e" attempts, but the package insists it is still installed. One of the errors mention %postuninstall or similar so I'm thinking it was down to just some cleanup error. I'd really like to just remove the package from rpm's database screw whatever files are there I will clean them up myself. Any help?

ppesci
24th January 2008, 06:46 AM
If you have the new gdm package, you can use rpm command with --force option to install it over the current problematic installed package.

See man rpm for details.

HTH

FriedChips
24th January 2008, 05:50 PM
so even if they are different versions it wil not show 2 as being installed? It will just overwrite the crap one?

leigh123linux
24th January 2008, 05:53 PM
Post ( or use the option rpm -e --noscripts gdm-version )

rpm -qa |grep gdm

FriedChips
24th January 2008, 05:58 PM
...or use the option rpm -e --noscripts gdm-version...

I will try that when I get home today, I do believe the error was on a scriptlet, I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks a million once again leigh :cool:

FriedChips
25th January 2008, 01:09 AM
Thanks leigh that worked perfect :) Any idea what the deal is with gdm in rawhide? seems quite broken to me. I downgraded to the F8 gdm and all is good. The theming is crap in rawhides as well as it taking out the shutdown button from the system menu and there not being a "gdmsetup" command...