PDA

View Full Version : No sound in tvtime

jimpm
23rd January 2008, 05:44 PM
I may be having a problem with Pulse audio configuration as I am unfamiliar with it's use. I am running Fedora 2.6.23.1-42.fc8-x86_64 on an AMD 64 3600+ with 2 Gb memory on a gigabyte board with Nvidia chipset which uses CK804 AC'97 audio. The systems sounds are present and audible. Streaming audio or video from the web through Mplayer is fine. DVDs play with sound in Xine. Tvtime connected to cable works fine for picture but no sound and FM radio (same tuner) also no sound. I have checked volume controls and they are not muted or to low to be heard. The DVD player has a direct sound connection to the board so that could be why I get sound on DVDs. The Pulse audio volume control shows the same one device for input and output "ALSA PCM on hw:0 (NVidia CK804) via DMA". Under playback it shows "no streams available". Never having seen pulse audio I am confused as to how to proceed. BTW all connections worked well with Fedora 6 from which I upgraded. I have posted this under software because I suspect that the problem may be with tvtime and not a general audio issue.

thesun
10th April 2008, 12:02 AM
Did you ever fix this issue? I've got something very similar (no tvtime audio, everything else works fine) and would love to know what I need to do to get it working.

jimpm
17th April 2008, 01:11 PM
I fixed it but it is a really bad hack not a real fix. What I did was use a small patch cord to go from sound out on the TV card to line in on the sound card. Now everything is fine but you adjust the sound with the line in sliders on your mixer not with the regular sound sliders. I still think that this is basically an internal connection (driver) issue where the sound card, the PCI bus and the TV card don't talk to each other. I had fixed a similar problem a while ago by switching from ALSA to OSS for TVtime. I didn't try that this time because I have too many other things happily running on ALSA. Maybe I'll work on a real fix "when I get some spare time" but for now this is a very low priority.

thesun
4th May 2008, 12:00 AM
That's a good idea, Jim. I haven't tried that yet but don't really have a problem with adding a line in from the tuner card. If it works, it works. The OSS issue is also intreguing. How do I switch TV Time to use OSS? I looked through all the Setup configuration options and didn't find anything. Did you follow some external setup directions?

Regarding Pulse, overall I like it but I just hope it gets a lot better and that at some point Linux gets a standard de facto sound system that doesn't change every few releases. FC5 had pretty good sound, imho, and Pulse has been pretty flakey. :-)

Anyway...I'll try the hardware hack thing and hopefully that will fix it. Now I just need to figure out which of the color coded input jacks is the Line In. Dell has teeny icons above each one, all of which essentially look the same.

Jongi
4th May 2008, 12:39 AM
I just decided to remove pulseaudio (as there was also some lag between audio and video i was noticing). Happy days now.

thesun
9th May 2008, 11:10 PM
Are you saying removing pulseaudio fixes the no sound issue? Interesting!

Jongi
10th May 2008, 12:37 AM
before removing pulseaudio on what input is the sound from the tv card coming in. on mine it comes in aux. and i have to make sure that the volume on that input is high (also capture feedback). and also that kmix (or alsamixer) seeing as I don't use pulse knows that the input is from aux.

mathan
29th May 2008, 08:53 PM
my tv tuner in Conexant CX 23881 chipset how to install ( i'm live in india so please config in inida-cable and pal-bg)

av1611
29th May 2008, 10:23 PM
My tuner works normal but if I go to record video then I have to use the audio out patch cable to the audio line of the sound card. I can't find a way to make it work with mencoder. If you need any info on doing that post and I'll post how I do that when I get home

Oh, and I use Alsa with FC9

thesun
14th June 2008, 07:57 PM
I was getting video but no sound for a few weeks, but after an security upgrade now all I get is a black screen...no signal at all. Anyone else have this issue? Should I post separately?

tranquilpenguin
14th June 2008, 08:18 PM
kill selinux and see if that helps