PDA

View Full Version : HP printer.

spdaniel91
22nd January 2008, 03:16 PM
Hi again,

I just bought a HP all-in-one Photosmart C5280 printer, and (again) runs well on XP and Vista. The jack is an USB one, but in the System > Administration > Printing and Add Printer, there's no USB option.

Also, when I try to install hplip, at the end of the install it says some dependencies are missing, and I can't find 'em anywhere. But yum says it's already installed. Strange, oh well.

Any help would be nice.

markkuk
22nd January 2008, 03:36 PM
Please post the full output of "yum repolist" and "yum install hplip". Does "/sbin/lsusb" show the printer when it's connected and switched on?

spdaniel91
22nd January 2008, 03:44 PM
Ok, something weird here:

yum repolist:

Loading "installonlyn" plugin
repo id repo name status
adobe-linux-i386 Adobe Systems Incorporated enabled
fedora Fedora 7 - x86_64 enabled
kagesenshi KageSenshi Package Repository enabled
updates Fedora 7 - x86_64 - Updates enabled

--------------

Yum install hplip

Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
fedora 100% |=========================| 2.1 kB 00:00
http://devel.foss.org.my/%7Ekagesenshi/repo/pub/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error >
Trying other mirror.
Error: Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: kagesenshi

----------

I really need this working, because I have 3 computers on my house and I'm the "server" one. If I can't make this work I'll have to use XP :(

spdaniel91
22nd January 2008, 03:45 PM
WAIT!

I forgot to turn it on, and now when I see it, it's there! I think I'll have a problem with networking now. Wait a sec.

spdaniel91
22nd January 2008, 03:48 PM
(Sorry for triple post)

Ok. It prints fine. Now I have two problems:

-How do I scan
-And how can I make the other computers (Vista and XP) see it and send files to print?

markkuk
22nd January 2008, 04:18 PM
-How do I scan
Install the libsane-hpaio package (if not already installed) and use any scanning software (gnomescan, kooka, GIMP, OpenOffice, ...)

And how can I make the other computers (Vista and XP) see it and send files to print?
Install samba and set up printer sharing (http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/classicalprinting.html), or share the printer in the system-config-printer tool and configure it as an IPP printer in the Windows clients. In both cases, remember to open the appropriate ports in the Fedora firewall.

spdaniel91
22nd January 2008, 06:15 PM
Install the libsane-hpaio package (if not already installed) and use any scanning software (gnomescan, kooka, GIMP, OpenOffice....)

Install samba and set up printer sharing (http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/classicalprinting.html), or share the printer in the system-config-printer tool and configure it as an IPP printer in the Windows clients. In both cases, remember to open the appropriate ports in the Fedora firewall.

Where can I download it?
I can't install Samba, but how to you share it in system-config-printer tool?

I don't know why, but I can't download any packages from yum :(

markkuk
22nd January 2008, 06:42 PM
I don't know why, but I can't download any packages from yum
What's the error message? You need to fix that problem first.