PDA

View Full Version : Printer not working after CUPS update



Trevor4706
22nd January 2008, 02:28 AM
On Saturday I downloaded a number of updates, some of which were related to CUPS, now I cannot print to my HP C4180 from my Fedora 8 installation. I'm dual-booting with XP, and printing from XP is fine. When I open the CUPS administration tool I find the C4180 listed as the default printer, with the notation "open device failed, will retry in 30 sec..". When I run lsusb I get the following:

[root@localhost ~]# lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 03f0:5711 Hewlett-Packard
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 046d:c016 Logitech, Inc. M-UV69a Optical Wheel Mouse
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

The device listed at Bus 002 Device 002 must be the printer, but it seems that it should be identified as a printer, not just as an H-P product.

Has anyone had similar issues after the update? Can anyone suggest a fix?

Thanks

stevea
22nd January 2008, 03:00 AM
What's in the /var/log/cups/* ?
What does " grep '=' /etc/cups/printers.conf" produce and is the device open'able by cupsd ?

Trevor4706
22nd January 2008, 03:44 AM
What's in the /var/log/cups/* ?
What does " grep '=' /etc/cups/printers.conf" produce and is the device open'able by cupsd ?
stevea

Nothing in /var/log/cups

[root@localhost ~]# grep '=' /etc/cups/printers.conf
DeviceURI hp:/usb/Photosmart_C4100_series?serial=MY646B511S04J7

Not sure what you mean by "... is the device open'able by cupsd ?"

Trevor4706
25th January 2008, 11:48 PM
Just in case anyone else should run into the same problem, after uninstalling and re-installing CUPS without having any luck printing -- same "Open device failed ..." error message, and went back through all the steps I'd taken. I had found a suggested solution on another forum -- change the permissions of /usr/lib/cups/backend/hp through the command "chmod 700 /usr/lib/cups/backend/hp". When I looked at what I had done I found I had done "chmod 777 /usr/lib/cups/backend/hp", probably because I thought if rwx privileges were good for root, they'd be good for everyone else too. Not so, I guess. I ran "chmod 700 /usr/lib/cups/backend/hp" and tried to print. everything worked normally.

So it was a permissions issue all along. Go figure. :)