PDA

View Full Version : Some sound related issues ('play' command hangs + kde avi previews hang konqueror)

gabolander
21st January 2008, 08:35 PM
Hi there,

With F8, I have 2 frequent problems sometimes I didn't solve yet. Maybe someone is able to help me.
Both problems are 'sound' related.
1) When I enter in my kde session, often "play" command (maybe the one used to play startup sound) loops, and push my cpu to 100%. I usually solve by opening ksysguard (or via terminal) and killing the 'play' process.
2) With Kde, when I browse a folder with konqueror (or kfmclient) which contains some video files (divx/xvid avi, mpeg, etc.) the file manager hangs. I realized it is a problem inherent the sound, because if I kill my 'artsd' process, the file manager unblocks and return working correctly.

I preface, that with F7 and same system/Apps configuration I didn't have the problem I mentioned above, so I suspect it may be a problem between pulseaudio and alsa... but I do not have other ideas.

Any suggestions?

Tnx in advance.

lxdragon
16th March 2008, 02:47 PM
I'm having the same problem with arts. I installed from the DVD selecting KDE instead of Gnome. I'm going to try installing from the KDE media and see if that works better.

lxdragon
18th March 2008, 01:40 AM
I installed from the KDE Live CD and could not duplicate the problem. Must be some quirk when selecting KDE instead of Gnome from the regular DVD.

gabolander
19th March 2008, 09:18 PM
I installed from the KDE Live CD and could not duplicate the problem. Must be some quirk when selecting KDE instead of Gnome from the regular DVD.

Tnx anyway... IIRC all the times I installed F8 in all systems I have (both 64 and 32bit), I have had the problem instead. I installed from regular F8 DVD, both Gnome and KDE, and constantly update the systems via YUM command... however sometimes (not always) happens after login, that 'play' process pushes one of the core of CPU up to 100%, until I kill it. No matter the architectures (both i386 and x86_64 versions).
I'm still having the problem that when I cross the mouse cursor over a konqueror window with some video files, the window hangs, until I kill the process "artsd" of the user that log in the KDE session.

Tnx and read you next.

G.

manoynmonic
6th May 2008, 04:08 AM
I always have this very same problem - all video clips, large or small. Sometimes hangs briefly, sometimes beyond recovery and I need to power down my computer. Looking forward to a fix for this. This is the case for me in both Fedora 8, and PCLOS '07. Both are running KDE.

Could the fact that I have rather low-specs be the real reason? Celeron processor, 640 mb of ram. Not ideal maybe, but not terrible (IMO) either.

gabolander
6th May 2008, 08:39 AM
I always have this very same problem - all video clips, large or small. Sometimes hangs briefly, sometimes beyond recovery and I need to power down my computer. Looking forward to a fix for this. This is the case for me in both Fedora 8, and PCLOS '07. Both are running KDE.

Could the fact that I have rather low-specs be the real reason? Celeron processor, 640 mb of ram. Not ideal maybe, but not terrible (IMO) either.

IMO that's not a low-specs hardware issue. I've been getting the same problem on Fedora 8 64bit on a AMD Quad Core CPU environment... ;-)

Within 8 days, Fedora 9 will be released. Let's hope they have solved all problem seen in F8, expecially the one related to pulse/sound matters.

Regards
G. :rolleyes: