PDA

View Full Version : everything is very very slow on booting

nit-nat
21st January 2008, 08:20 PM
Hello,

I'm a very newbie in Linux especially for Fedora.

I just finish installing Fedora 6 in my laptop (T5500 @1.66Ghz centrino duo with 1.5 GB RAM) using VMWare 4.5.2.

I allocated 800MB of RAM, 10GB of virtual disk for VMWare.

What I experience is everything is very-very-very slow booting once the installation finished, each step that very slow captured and attached.

I spent more than 3 nights struggling installing it and after googling the whole day looking for answer in this forum finally tonight I can make it up and running.
But again it is very slow in almost all step. Does anybody experience the same?

I really need the enlighting sharing from all of you guyz. :confused: Thanks in Advance

Zero-Override
21st January 2008, 08:58 PM
not sure if this will help at all but...

are you using the xen kernel?

nit-nat
22nd January 2008, 06:22 AM
Hi Zero-Override,

since I'm new to Fedora, what should I do to check whether I am using the xen kernel?
Sorry, if I need your guide to do it.

For addt'l info, I already put "acpi=off noresume nodma nopcmcia" in kernel line at grub.conf file.

Zero-Override
22nd January 2008, 05:12 PM
the acpi noresume and nopcmcia look fine but i think you could just enable the dma

not behind my tuxbox atm, but it was something like uname -a that will show you ;)

also, don't worry about asking questions ;) use the searchfunction of these forums as often as you can and if you can't find it you can always ask for help ;)
we are all here to help eachother ;)

nit-nat
23rd January 2008, 06:55 AM
Hi,

I tried to boot using text mode (runlevel 3).

this is the result when I tried to use uname -a command, as shown in the attached picture or:
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 #1 SMP Mon Oct 16 14:37:32 EDT 2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Do I use Xen kernel if it stated above?

Another progress is:
I tried to reinstall the F6, and I tried to create custom partition without using Volume Group and the result is the booting run faster, but still takes more than 3 minutes when:

1. it come to unmounting old /dev and so on steps
2. init: 2.6...... booting

nit-nat
23rd January 2008, 07:38 PM
Hi Zero-overide and others,

I still experiencing the slow booting problem with F6 when unmounting old /... (about 3 mounts) and init: version ... even more than 5 minutes in each of those steps.

And now I can't boot to X windows directly as you can see in the picture attached. It shows some error that failed to go into the X Windows.
I need to delete the .X0-lock file and then type startx again and successfully.

But it always happens everytime I restart the F6 (include the slow booting on 2 steps described above) :mad:

Desperately Need your help please :confused:

marcrblevins
23rd January 2008, 07:57 PM
I'm lost, your picture is showing Fedora 8 and inside its showing you have Fedora Cire 6 installed. VMWARE is up to 1.04.

Are you using Windows as your host?

Zero-Override
23rd January 2008, 10:06 PM
sounds more and more like a broken harddrive
broken sectors can cause these delays, Fedora can work around them but it takes a lot of time

are you installing this on an old pc that you happened to have standing around?

nit-nat
24th January 2008, 03:10 AM
I'm lost, your picture is showing Fedora 8 and inside its showing you have Fedora Cire 6 installed. VMWARE is up to 1.04.

Are you using Windows as your host?

Hi Marcrblevins,

Sorry, the fedora8 its just the naming in the VMWare.
Yes, I use Win XP SP2 as the host and I use VMWare 4.5.2.

nit-nat
24th January 2008, 03:21 AM
sounds more and more like a broken harddrive
broken sectors can cause these delays, Fedora can work around them but it takes a lot of time

are you installing this on an old pc that you happened to have standing around?

I think your questions related with Marcrblevins's.
I don't use old PC, I try to install it on VMWare 4.5.2 on my Thinkpad Z61T with T5500 1.66HGHz Centrino Duo processor, 1.5 GB of RAM, XP Pro SP2 as the host. I use it for almost 1 year.

I allocated 800MB of RAM and 10GB of virtual disk file (*.vmdk).

Ah, I see the problem now. Is it may be because I create custom partitioning layout which is the sector is jump from mount /, swap, and /boot? :eek:

But, I ever installed using the default linux partition layout and even it takes more time to boot? :confused: