PDA

View Full Version : Live USB

adamsutton
21st January 2008, 01:42 PM
Hi Guys (and Gals),

I'm looking for a simple solution for building an image to put on a USB stick. I always done it from scratch in the past (using Gentoo), but the guys I am working with are used to using Fedora and need something simple incase I'm not about.

At first glance the livecd-creator coupled with livecd-iso-to-disk seemed like a good solution, unfortunately it keeps the root fs in squashfs format. This is not ideal, although mods will be minimal there are likely to be some minor config / upgrades made in teh field and having a normal fs on the disk and just mounted RO would be better.

Anyone have any ideas on the best way to achieve this? Again, I need to keep it simple. I'm happy to write a replacement for the livecd-iso-to-disk if that's possible (any suggestions?).

Ta
Adam

jazzfan
21st January 2008, 03:18 PM
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo

adamsutton
21st January 2008, 03:31 PM
Hi Robi,

Ta for the reply, but that doesn't solve my problem. Most of what is explained in that HOWTO is now dealt with by the latest version of livecd-iso-to-disk.

This still leaves you will a squashfs based image, making minor updates a real pain in the ass. It is this that I am looking to solve. I want a normal FS on the USB disk so that if a minor config change is required the users don't have to go to the pain of extracting the squashfs image making the change and then re-compressing.

Ta
Adam

jazzfan
21st January 2008, 06:01 PM
yes, it's quite bad site, sry ;)

try this link, it's very detailed:
http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/11/07/i-am-fedora-and-so-can-you/

adamsutton
21st January 2008, 06:17 PM
I read that one earlier today actually, its the same thing. Its still squashfs based, ie true read-only.

This seems to be the trend for the live cd creation tools, which is understandable as they are designed for true read-only media. As opposed to something like FLASH where it is read/write but you just want to restrict the write operations.

I will keep searching. I think I will end up working in the reverse direction, ie start with a normal Fedora install and customise it to minimise write operations, ie tmp/swap in RAM disks RO mount of the filesystem.

Adam