PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 8 and Mandriva 2008?

medo1983
21st January 2008, 10:54 AM
I have both F8 and Mandriva installed on my machine, each on a separate hard drive. My question is, while running F8 can i access the Mandriva home opartition and write to/from it or not? I read in post in fedoraforum.org that this might damage my file systems because of incompatability between Linux file systems from different distributions.

medo1983
21st January 2008, 10:58 AM
Specifically in this tpoic http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=178168&highlight=access+partitions
search for 'You can not share' without the quotes.

bob
21st January 2008, 12:24 PM
The short answer is 'yes' you can certainly do that. I think that Slojet's referring to sharing other partitions and packages that might not be compatible. For instance, I transfer pictures and music between distros all the time in /home/bob. I would not share /boot or /sys or /var as they won't be compatible.

Dan
21st January 2008, 12:46 PM
I regularly share files between F7/F8 and Debian/elive/Mint partitions. In fact, if it hadn't been for this handy ability, I would have ended up re-installing F7 when a bad ram module resulted in an incomplete disk write. I used Debian to access the F7 files to repair them. So far it has produced no problems.

medo1983
21st January 2008, 08:17 PM
Thanks, guys.