PDA

View Full Version : is it possible to cancel something that tries to load during boot?

DennyCrane
21st January 2008, 12:29 AM
I have a somewhat unreliable internet connection, so sometimes when I boot, Fedora takes forever trying to connect. Sometimes I wish I could just press escape or something to make it skip whatever it might be stuck on so that I can just get into my system.

Is there any such key combination I might be able to use to interact somehow with the boot process?

Dies
21st January 2008, 12:54 AM
Why not just set networking to NOT start at boot, and allow users to control, then whenever you login you can bring your connection up yourself. Maybe even let Network manager handle it.

su -
system-config-network

If you want to use Network Manager

system-config-services

then check both Network Manager entries, that should place an icon in your taskbar so you can control it.

w5set
21st January 2008, 01:44 AM
At the bootup graphical screen there's a time when it says hit a key (enter????) to see "details"--do that--then the below..

At booting up there's an interactive "point" to press the "I" or "eye" key when it says to--and then either agree for the particular thing to be loaded --or not. But be quick to hit the "i" OR "EYE" key cuz it doesn't wait long for you to do it...hit it several times to make sure.

Also you can edit the kernel boot parameters so it always does the "details" type bootup...but it will still get to the graphical login and proceed as normal.

DennyCrane
21st January 2008, 02:03 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, but neither is really very good in my situation. Interactive mode won't work because 1) I don't know ahead of time if the connection is going to take a long time, and 2) It will probably take as long (or at least be as annoying) to have to say yes to everything else. And I don't want to prevent networking at boot because I don't want to have to manually start it. In short, I only want to make it quit it when I see it is taking too long...

I guess there probably isn't a solution that fits my needs. Thanks anyway.