PDA

View Full Version : desktop-effects cannot be deactivated

skai
19th January 2008, 09:16 AM
Hello all,
I activated 3d display on my fedora-8 installation and now my desktop does not work correctly any more, it shows a workspace in a window and at the rigth side of it the borders of other workspaces.
The problem is, i do not get to any system configuration panel where I can deactivate the not working display configuration. system-config-display does not show any possiblity to deactive the erroneous configuration.
A second use on the same machine shows the correct display.
Where can I deactivate that error ?

Best thanks to everyone trying to help.

skai
19th January 2008, 03:19 PM
Hello all,
I have almost solved my problem with the non-existing 3D- Desktop.
My desktop is sitll in a "wrong state" - there are no workspaces and no menu, because I have activated the 3D desktop with the cube, which does not work with my hardware.
But it is impossible to deactivate the erroneous 3D desktop, I am stuck with the wrong desktop - no menu, no workspace to switch to. There is of course no man-page for desktop-effects and I did not find anything in the help.
Has anyone had ( and solved) that problem. I do not want to install freshly because of this minor problem, but it is annoying.

Thanks,
skai

Wayne
19th January 2008, 03:23 PM
I've merged your two threads as they seem related. Please stick to one thread. Thanks

Wayne

leigh123linux
19th January 2008, 03:25 PM
Try

su
yum erase compiz

reboot

skai
20th January 2008, 08:50 AM
Hello all,
I have just seen that after some fiddling with desktop-effects and rebooting and power-off the desktop-effects are disactivated again, but I am not sure why it worked only after some time.
I am glad it did, however, but that is sure something that is missing in the program "desktop-effects", I really feared that I had to install fedora again from scratch.
But in any case, thanks for the links with the graphic cards, I shall consider them wen buying a new graphics card.

Thanks for the answers, bye
skai