PDA

View Full Version : Questions

sceit
19th January 2008, 04:35 AM
Hi everyone,

I am new to this board and to Fedora. I have recently decided to try Fedora to see if i like it. I have installed VMWare on my Windows based computer and have installed Fedora 8 on the VMWare. Seems to be working good but i cannot get anything to load to see how games would load and function. I guess my question will be is there only certain games or programs that run on Fedora or is this just a VMWare glitch?

I like what i have seen so far but i do have a msn email and i would like to keep it. When i was trying to set up the email program evolution i noticed the email format HTTP was not available. Will i be able to get my email using evolution. I really like using Microsoft office when it works. So i would like to use or at least try the Fedora based office program. I have found the writer program to be very easy.

I don't know if this is going to make any sense to anyone but a little help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sceit

Bslagowski
19th January 2008, 04:46 AM
Welcome to Fedora!! :)

Seems to be working good but i cannot get anything to load to see how games would load and function. I guess my question will be is there only certain games or programs that run on Fedora or is this just a VMWare glitch?
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Do you mean you're trying to load certain games that are meant to be played on Windows? If that's the case then they may work. Most Windows games (and many programs) are run using Wine. Think of it as an emulator for now (it's not, but you can dig into that later). Check for your games in the AppDB: http://appdb.winehq.org/ Many games work - WoW, Civilization, CounterStrike, etc.

I like what i have seen so far but i do have a msn email and i would like to keep it. When i was trying to set up the email program evolution i noticed the email format HTTP was not available. Will i be able to get my email using evolution.
I would imagine you'd be able to. This forum talks about setting up a hotmail account through Evolution: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=200408. I think Hotmail/MSN mail are the same? Maybe I'm wrong. I haven't used Hotmail for years so I'm not sure what they're doing, but it might be a good idea to think of switching to something like GMail or Yahoo. Unless MSN has some features you can't live without ... <shrug>

If you've got any more questions or want more elaboration on the above, feel free to ask. I'll be in and out for awhile yet. Welcome again!

Edit: Did a bit of quick research on MSN Mail/Hotmail. I read that if you have MSN as your ISP you should be able to setup a POP or IMAP account. Not sure if that's 100% correct, but if you do have MSN it's worth looking into. Otherwise it's supposed to be HTTP access only. Now of course this means ... Outlook! Funny that MS has designed the only email client that works with their email service. Hmph. That link to the Ubuntu forum will work, though. It's a little more complicated but it's definitely possible. If you want to get that set up post back here .. some of those commands don't really apply to Fedora.

sceit
19th January 2008, 05:00 AM
Thanks for the quick reply.

If im reading this right your saying not all of my programs will work for sure. Which i kind of figured, i was just hoping there was some program Fedora may have developed that would make these programs function.

Thanks again and im sure i will be back to ask more questions.

Bslagowski
19th January 2008, 05:02 AM
Chances are very high that the programs you used can be replaced by Linux ones which will do as well of a job as the old ones. If you post specific ones up here we could give you an idea what the Linux equivalent(s) is.

sceit
20th January 2008, 02:27 AM
Ok so i have been trying to figure out the hotmail instructions. LOL Remember im a Windows user. Took me forever to find the email account information. In other words i have no idea what he is talking about with those instructions. Anyhelp with that.

Bslagowski
20th January 2008, 07:47 AM
Hey I'm heading back to school tomorrow so I'm pretty busy tonight and tomorrow. If you can wait a few days I'll try and post a guide for you to get this setup. I looked back through that link I gave you and some of those packages aren't in Fedora's repositories, one is outdated, and a there are a few other differences. It should still work, but if you've never used Linux I'd feel a little guilty just turning you loose. Hehe.

In the meantime, if you're able to figure it out let me know if you have WebDAV access? And do you know about how old your account is? And one final question .. is there any reason you prefer Evolution over Thunderbird? I think Thunderbird has an extension to do this that would probably make the process easier. :P

sceit
20th January 2008, 08:50 PM
Evolution was just what came on Fedora8. I like the ease of it. I donít care if I use thunderbird as long as it is linked with the calendar and so on. The whole reason I liked outlook was the ease between setting appointments and email. I have 100 or more accounts with venders that have my msn email and thatís why I want to keep it. I will look and see if I can find thunderbird on my own. If you stop by maybe you could post a link so I can check it out.

Thanks

Bslagowski
21st January 2008, 05:19 AM
su -
yum install mozilla-thunderbird

It has HTTP support. So go through the account setup process and run it. If you get an error message (wouldn't be too surprising) let me know. Be aware, this may pull your messages off the server. To disable, after the account has been setup go to Edit->Preferences. Under "Server Settings" check the "Leave messages on server" box. You can fiddle with the settings underneath that if you want, too.

Let me know if this works. :)

sceit
21st January 2008, 05:49 AM
Were do i type that in at? Im Lost already

Bslagowski
21st January 2008, 06:05 AM
Oh sorry! I forgot you did say you were brand new. Go to Applications->System Tools->Terminal. Welcome to the infamous Linux terminal! It's not as cold and unfriendly as you may have heard. Those commands go here. Note that the "-" after su is important.

Now, what are these commands?!

First, Linux is a multi-user operating system. To make it more secure, a regular user cannot make changes to the system that may have serious consequences - installing programs, editing system files, etc. This is different from Windows, where user accounts are normally setup to be able to do just about anything. When you type "su" and enter the root password (should be different than your user password) it changes you to the root user. Once you're done using root you can press CTRL+D or type "exit" in the terminal to return to your regular account.

The next command, "yum install ..." is using Fedora's package handler (the name is yum). This installs (updates, removes, etc) software from the repositories. Here is another major difference between Windows and most Linux system. Much of the available programs are placed in a central location. They're "verified" so to speak - they should work and they should be safe. It's a lot of software too. ;) Thunderbird just so happens to be in those repositories, how convenient!

If you encounter any errors (or have more questions about the process) post back. I'll be around another hour or so.

To learn more about how to use a command you can type "man commandname" in the terminal. So, "man yum" for example brings up a page in the terminal explaining yum and the different options you have with it. To scrolls use your keyboard's up/down arrows. To quit the help page press the "q" key. Also try "whatis commandname" in the terminal. This will give a short blurb about what the command does.

[ben@localhost ~]$ whatis su

su (1) - run a shell with substitute user and group IDs

Heres a little more info on the yum command:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tools/yum