PDA

View Full Version : problem installing ax25-apps

nacross
18th January 2008, 09:26 PM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE! Look at the last page of this thread for a simple solution.
The topic may be helpful as a whole, but if you look for a quick answer ... ;)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I am trying to run ax25 paket protocol on my AMD Fedora 8 computer.

So far, using minicom, I can talk to the TNC.

I have tryied unsuccessfully to build a kernel with the ax25 network module following the guide at: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/CustomKernel

In the process it came to my attention that ax25 was marked already as module in the old config. So I went for it and tried "sudo /sbin/insmod ax25" which was accepted without reporting any error.I know that linux is not talkative, but in order to be sure I typed " /sbin/lsmod |grep ax25" and I have the following answer from the system: "ax25 54033 0"

So far so good, then I ran into problems

I went to install libax25 from http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/AmateurRadio/Packages#libax25
which I did without much problem (meaning no error warning).
At the end I typed the command: "rpm -q libax25" the system replied: "package libax25 is not installed"

The real problem begin with ax25-apps from the http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/AmateurRadio/Packages#ax25-apps

I downloaded the file: ax25-apps-0.0.6-1.fc8.src.rpm
moved the file to the directory ~/source
then used the following commands:
sudo chmod a+x ax25-apps-0.0.6-1.fc8.src.rpm
sudo rpm -i ax25-apps-0.0.6-1.fc8.src.rpm

It creates a new path ~/rpmbuild/SOURCES/ where there are the following files:
ax25-apps-0.0.6.tar.gz

I entered the commands:
sudo chmod a+x ax25-apps-0.0.6.tar.gz

and get the following things on the current directory:
(directory) ax25-apps-0.0.6
(file) ax25-apps-0.0.6-nongenericnames.patch

The I did the following commands using http://tldp.org/HOWTO/AX25-HOWTO/x144.html as guide:
cd ax25-apps-0.0.6
sudo ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var
sudo make

And then I got some errors. I jus copy a part of the output:

gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -g -O2 -Wall -c call.c
call.c:38:20: error: curses.h: No such file or directory
In file included from call.c:67:
menu.h:15: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before ‘WINDOW’
menu.h:22: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘*’ token
menu.h:24: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token
menu.h:26: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token
call.c:105: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before ‘WINDOW’
call.c:117: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘*’ token
call.c: In function ‘statline’:
call.c:384: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘move’
call.c:385: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘attron’
call.c:385: error: ‘A_REVERSE’ undeclared (first use in this function)

I went back to check with the command: rpm -q ncurses
and the system replied: ncurses-5.6-12.20070812.fc8

Any idea? Any Help? Thanks in advance

I will write down anything that I learn and then I will post that on the web to help others.

Neville

leigh123linux
18th January 2008, 09:34 PM
Try

su
yum install ncurses-devel

leigh123linux
19th January 2008, 02:50 AM
I have looked more and it looks like libax25 wasn't built and installed ( and to be honest you appear clueless to the process of rebuilding source rpms so I have written a quick guide for you :) )

I went to install libax25 from http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/...ackages#libax25
which I did without much problem (meaning no error warning).
At the end I typed the command: "rpm -q libax25" the system replied: "package libax25 is not installed"

Try

su
yum groupinstall "Legacy Software Development" "Development Libraries" "Development Tools"
yum install rpmdevtools

now as non-root

rpmdev-setuptree
wget http://hams.bobjensen.com/SRPMS/libax25-0.0.11-2.fc8.src.rpm
rpmbuild --rebuild libax25-0.0.11-2.fc8.src.rpm

install the packages that you just made

1. libax25-devel
2. libax

now as non-root

wget http://hams.bobjensen.com/SRPMS/ax25-apps-0.0.6-1.fc8.src.rpm
rpmbuild --rebuild ax25-apps-0.0.6-1.fc8.src.rpm

install the package that you just made

1. ax25-apps

nacross
19th January 2008, 09:07 PM
There are time when I feel that I am not "that" clueless. But this thing about the ax25 has make me feel complete clueless. I really thank you for taking the time and give some directions.

I have already installed the ncurses-devel package:

[neville@localhost ~]$ rpm -q ncurses-devel
ncurses-devel-5.6-12.20070812.fc8

The I tried the group install I am in a loop. When I entered the command for yum group install, it gave me an error.

--> Running transaction check
---> Package readline-devel.i386 0:5.2-7.fc8 set to be updated
--> Processing Dependency: readline = 5.2-7.fc8 for package: readline-devel
---> Package perl-Test-Harness.i386 0:2.56-32.fc8 set to be updated
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: readline = 5.2-7.fc8 is needed by package readline-devel
[root@localhost neville]# rpm -q readline
readline-5.2-9.fc8

I can not install readline-devel 5.2-7 because needs readline 5.2-7, but the current version is readline 5.2-9

I suppose that in a couple of days it will be ready to install.

I will try to follow the others instructions. to see how they turn out.

Again, thanks.

Neville

leigh123linux
19th January 2008, 09:20 PM
Try

su
yum --disablerepo=updates install readline-devel

leigh123linux
19th January 2008, 09:42 PM
As you are having package troubles I built the packages for you ( see attachment ) :)
You will need to untar the file and install all the rpm's as a single transaction .

i.e

yum localinstall *ax25*rpm --nogpgcheck

nacross
19th January 2008, 11:22 PM
Thank you so much.
You have made my life much easy.
I will try to work my way with ax25-tools package.
I need to learn a bit to stop been so clueless. I think that with the info here I got some to experiment.
I will post my results to let you know, but it will be until tomorrow night as I have to go out.

Again thanks

Neville

leigh123linux
19th January 2008, 11:37 PM
If you get stuck I built the tools as well ( it was no problem as I hadn't cleaned out the mock package cache )

PabloTwo
20th January 2008, 02:41 AM
Hello nacross, and Liegh-

When nacross first put this post up it caught my attention because I had just a few days earlier recompiled my kernel to include ax25 support. I run FC6. I used a tutorial in the Guides and How-To's section on this forum (it's one of the sticky's) by alph645 with subsequent input by Sideways. It uses the rpmbuild process and despite a couple of hickups along the way I was able to successfully create brand spanking new kernel and kernel-devel rpm packages that included the ax25 support and also a handfull of supporting modules.

narcross, since you somehow got a working ax25 kernel module to use in lieu of recompiling there was no reason for you to compile a new kernel, but if in the future a need should arise, I would strongly suggest you check out that particular How-To.

I also had downloaded tarballed and compressed packages of libax25, ax25-apps and ax25-tools from another source but hadn't gotten around to doing anything with those as yet. After seeing Leighs instructions on how to build rpm packages from the src.rpm's obtained from the Fedora SIG (hamradio) site, I just had to give that a whirl today. Since only packages for F7 and F8 are available, I grabbed the F7 src.rpm packages for the three items discussed.

I installed the libax25 src.rpm package so I could get a look a the spec file for that, thinking I might have to make a change or two to make it work for FC6. But after looking, it appeared it would just conform to my system so I made no alterations. Then I deleted the whole rpmbuild tree and began anew with Leighs instructions. The libax25 package compiled and built as non-root without a hitch. But I ran into permission denied issues with both the ax25-apps and ax25-tools packages which forced me to run the build as root. Also, I hit a missing dependency in compiling ax25-tools (fltk-devel) but a quick yum install of that fixed things up.

I did all this just to learn how to do it. Same for recompiling the kernel. First time for both proceedures. And Leigh, your assistance to nacross on this I think was way beyond the call of duty (as they say) and also gave me just enough information in the process to increase my Linux geekness level several notches.

Thanks
Paul

nacross
22nd January 2008, 05:15 AM
Hello again.

I used the short cut provided by leigh123@linux to install the ax25-tools but it didn't work.

Running Transaction
Installing: ax25-tools ######################### [1/1]
Error unpacking rpm package ax25-tools - 0.0.8-1.fc8.i386
error: unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/share/man/man9/soundmodem.9.gz;4795ba39: cpio: read

Installed: ax25-tools.i386 0:0.0.8-1.fc8
Complete!
[neville@localhost ax25-tools]$ rpm -q ax25-tools
package ax25-tools is not installed

Then I created the tree using rpmdev-setuptree, after that I downloaded the package using wget as stated above, after that created the new rpm using rpmbuild --rebuild ax25-tools-0.0.8-1.fc8.src.rpm, then moved to the directory ~/rpmbuild/RPMS/i386 and finally input the command sudo yum localinstall *ax25*rpm --nogpgcheck

And all this worked fine.

Thanks very much, as pablo_two has said this help went beyond thew call of duty.

I have another machine that I am setting up. So I will try all this again. The I will write the stpes in order to help others in this matter.

Thanks again

Neville

nacross
26th January 2008, 04:47 AM
I am back here in disappointment. Things are not workiwith ax25.
Last time I had a fresh install where I made a lot of errors, copying instructions from different sources. I remember one of then saying something about making sure of the standard paths. Any way when that install didn't run the ax25 applications wasn't much of a surprise. I planned from the beginning setting up another computer also with FC8. So I did and installed the development libraries at the setup, but anyway recheck with all other packages mentioned in this thread. (By the way readline-devel has been updated and the yum install worked fine)

As a summary what I did was:
rpmdev-setuptree
wget http://hams.bobjensen.com/SRPMS/libax25-0.0.11-2.fc8.src.rpm
rpmbuild --rebuild libax25-0.0.11-2..fc8.src.rpm
cd /rpmbuild/RPMS/i386
su
*password
yum localinstall libax*rpm --nogpgcheck

and the same for the packages ax25-tools and ax25-apps

So far, so good. Looks a straight forward sequence that I can post a a guide for another clueless person like me.

The problems begin with the set up. There is no axports file. As SU did a "find -name axports", so I get to think that I have to write my own file, but there is no /etc/ax25 directory wich it is supposed to be the route. There is /proc/net/ax25 directory that it is empty. As I did a lot of errors and tried differet things the previous machine had the /etc/ax25 directory and the axports file.

Both machines give problems with some commands. If I use commands like call or listen I got "bash: call: command not found" instead of saying something like that I forgot to specify ports and call sing.

I am back at my clueless state. At least I have learn how to use "wget" "yum localinstall" "rpmbuild"

Any idea? Should I do all this again, but take the time to copy or capture what the computer is saying at the time of the rpmbuild?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Neville

leigh123linux
26th January 2008, 09:48 AM
Did you load the module ?

su -
modprobe ax25

nacross
26th January 2008, 05:26 PM
hello leigh123@linux, thanks for coming back on my rescue.

As a mater of fact I did before starting to install the packages.
then, just to make sure it was loaded I typen
/sbin/lsmod | grep ax25

I didn't check that again after installation, but I don't think the ax25 module will be unloaded by the intallation process.

I sorry that I neglect to said that I loaded the module. Seems relevant.

Any other idea?

Neville

PabloTwo
26th January 2008, 11:26 PM
Hi nacross-

I wish I could be of more assistance to you on this matter, but I'm still learning this stuff myself. I have only compiled the ax25 support into my kernel and installed the libax25 and libax25-devel packages. I have made the ax25-apps and ax25-tools packages but have not installed them. Checking for anything ax25 related in /proc, I find, on my system:

/proc/net/ax25 <empty
/proc/net/ax25_calls <empty
/proc/net/ax25_route <contains: callsign dev mode digipeaters

I am assuming those items got there from the ax25 support built into the kernel. If your ax25 kernel module is a proper one, you should have at least those same entries in your /proc/net/ diretory. Since I did not install the ax25-apps and ax25-tools packages, there is not a /etc/ax25 directory on my system, but if and when I do install them, that is where I expect to find most of the files to be placed, as that is the standard location for them.

Do you find a /etc directory in your HOME directory? If so, look there. Also, from a terminal, do:

su
updatedb
locate ax25
The updatedb may take a few minutes to complete and your terminal backscroll buffer may or may not be large enough to contain all the entries listed. At least this should show you where all those files got put when you installed all the ax25 packages. If they are in non-standard places, then you could just move them to where they should be.

I'm sure you've already searched and looked, but here are a few ax25 reference how-to's I dug up, which may or may not be of any help to youl

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/AX25-HOWTO/
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/AX25-HOWTO/x2329.html
http://www.linux-ax25.org/wiki/AX.25

I do my packet from an older Win98SE box (AT format with lots of ISA slots for my pair of DRSI dual-port packet cards, etc) and mostly use DOS apps for that so I have no real need to put packet on my Linux machine. But I am part of a group that installs and maintains a network of Rose protocol based packet sites here in Florida, most of which have converted to running on Linux computers (various Debian distros with all the ax25 stuff built in) and running FPAC. K4GBB and F6BVP are our principle Linux guru's in these matters, but I'm picking up on as much of this as I can without making it into a real work project.

Good luck,
Paul

nacross
29th January 2008, 04:29 AM
Thaks Paul,

I have a old PII 400Mhz 128Mb RAM laptop running a FBB over win98SE. It is holding, but I am not sure when it will come apart. That's why I am setting up a new machine, and I had have enough problems with crashes that I was looking for something more stable.

I looked into the /proc/net directory ... there is no ax25 directory

I looked to the command "locate ax25" and I have a lot of ax25 stuff underneth /usr/src/debug
Part of my problem is that I do not know what to look for as ax25 structure or files. The list of the commands is very useful but I am not sure that there is a file for each command.

I have looked to the links of the ax25-howto, and my problem was that they didn't work for me.
I skiped the part of compiling the kernel, as I can load the ax25 network protocol as a module.
When I tried to install the packages I obtained a lot of errors following those instructions.

Some weeks ago I tried ubuntu, I managed to make work the ax25 using the synaptic package adminitrator (o something that's called very similar), but I get lost with the fbb. So I started from scratch with fedora, that I know more (but probably is not much). I am not sure if it will be better for me to star over from scratch using another distro, maybe debian itself and not a debian-ish distro.

So far I understood that there is no call command under fedora, it is ax25_call
I created /etc/ax25 directory and a axports file inside.
But still not working due conflicts between values in the axport and the kissattach command.

Any help to make sense of this chaos will be appreciated.

Neville YN1V

PabloTwo
29th January 2008, 03:57 PM
Hi Neville-

Sorry to hear you're still having a hard time of it getting a single tnc port working under Fedora. I checked all the rpm files (libax25, ax25-apps and ax25-tools) and none of them put anything in '/etc/ax25', as you have discovered. You can see all the files in any given rpm package and where they were placed with (example):

sudo rpm -ql ax25-tools

That is for any installed rpm package(s). To list the contents of a package that is not yet installed:

sudo rpm -qlp <path_to/full_package_name>

Except for the documentation and man pages, most everything in ax25-apps and ax25-tools are binary commands that install to either /usr/bin or /usr/sbin and you need to create the /etc/ax25 directory, which you have done. There, all the various configuration and script files will be placed, such as axports. I have been skimming over some of the AX25-HOW-TO guides but have not studied it in any great detail nor attempted to implement any of it myself.

However, I have recently been ssh'ing into one of the remote computers in our packet network and looking at several of the files in it's /etc/ax25 directory, of which there ar a lot. As for the /proc/net/ listing, there is not a 'ax25' directory there, just the items ax25, ax25_calls and ax25_route. Try:

sudo modprobe ax25
ls /proc/net/ <-mine shows the 3 items listed above
cat /proc/net/ax25_route

When I recompiled my kernel to include AX25, I also opted to include the AX25_DAMA_SLAVE support, which may be what is placing those items in my /proc/net instead of AX25. You should be able to make this work under Fedora as easily (or with the same degree of difficulty -hi) as under any other Distro, as the process is exactly the same under any version of Linux. You do realize that for all this work, your tnc(s) must be set to KISS mode, as the computer takes over control of all the tnc software/firmware functions

One of my aging dual-port (1200b/1200b) DRSI packet cards has begun to have the modems rx detune giving me a lot of trouble so I think it is on it's way out. The other dual-port DRSI card is 1200/b interanl and optional external modem port, which I have connected my homebrew 300/1200b modem I originally built for use with a Commodor128 and using Digicom software. I do have one regular tnc though and if all the old DRSI cards crap out on me, I may resort to getting that tnc working on my Linux box as you are attempting to do now.

I think I have a link to another AX25-how-to that might be a bit better than the ones I already posted but it's on my Windows install and I'm in Linux at the moment, I'll port it here on this post as an edit sometime later.

Again, Good Luck
Paul N4WKQ

leigh123linux
29th January 2008, 05:35 PM
Hi Neville-

Sorry to hear you're still having a hard time of it getting a single tnc port working under Fedora. I checked all the rpm files (libax25, ax25-apps and ax25-tools) and none of them put anything in '/etc/ax25', as you have discovered. You can see all the files in any given rpm package and where they were placed with (example):

sudo rpm -ql ax25-tools

That is for any installed rpm package(s). To list the contents of a package that is not yet installed:

sudo rpm -qlp <path_to/full_package_name>

Except for the documentation and man pages, most everything in ax25-apps and ax25-tools are binary commands that install to either /usr/bin or /usr/sbin and you need to create the /etc/ax25 directory, which you have done. There, all the various configuration and script files will be placed, such as axports. I have been skimming over some of the AX25-HOW-TO guides but have not studied it in any great detail nor attempted to implement any of it myself.

However, I have recently been ssh'ing into one of the remote computers in our packet network and looking at several of the files in it's /etc/ax25 directory, of which there ar a lot. As for the /proc/net/ listing, there is not a 'ax25' directory there, just the items ax25, ax25_calls and ax25_route. Try:

sudo modprobe ax25
ls /proc/net/ <-mine shows the 3 items listed above
cat /proc/net/ax25_route

When I recompiled my kernel to include AX25, I also opted to include the AX25_DAMA_SLAVE support, which may be what is placing those items in my /proc/net instead of AX25. You should be able to make this work under Fedora as easily (or with the same degree of difficulty -hi) as under any other Distro, as the process is exactly the same under any version of Linux. You do realize that for all this work, your tnc(s) must be set to KISS mode, as the computer takes over control of all the tnc software/firmware functions

One of my aging dual-port (1200b/1200b) DRSI packet cards has begun to have the modems rx detune giving me a lot of trouble so I think it is on it's way out. The other dual-port DRSI card is 1200/b interanl and optional external modem port, which I have connected my homebrew 300/1200b modem I originally built for use with a Commodor128 and using Digicom software. I do have one regular tnc though and if all the old DRSI cards crap out on me, I may resort to getting that tnc working on my Linux box as you are attempting to do now.

I think I have a link to another AX25-how-to that might be a bit better than the ones I already posted but it's on my Windows install and I'm in Linux at the moment, I'll port it here on this post as an edit sometime later.

Again, Good Luck
Paul N4WKQ

I have checked the spec files for the srpm's and it lists no files for /etc

I have a standard kernel

[root@localhost ~]# modprobe ax25
[root@localhost ~]# ls /proc/net/
anycast6 if_inet6 mcfilter6 raw snmp6 udp
arp igmp netfilter raw6 sockstat udp6
ax25 igmp6 netlink route sockstat6 udplite
ax25_calls ip6_flowlabel netstat rpc softnet_stat udplite6
ax25_route ip_mr_cache packet rt6_stats stat unix
dev ip_mr_vif protocols rt_acct tcp wireless
dev_mcast ipv6_route psched rt_cache tcp6
dev_snmp6 mcfilter ptype snmp tr_rif
[root@localhost ~]# cat /proc/net/ax25_route
callsign dev mode digipeaters

PabloTwo
29th January 2008, 09:37 PM
Hi Leigh-

Thanks. That at least gives us a basis for comparison. It tells me that in F8 the ax25 kernel module is supplied by default. In FC6, it is not. Which brings me to the question:

Can you build a kernel module merely from the info contained in the header files for that module in the kernel-devel package without the actual source code? I ask because in my FC6 install the kernel-devel package had the header files for ax25, but no actual ax25.ko module, so I wondered why it was even there (perhaps to supply support for something else you might compile that needed that info?). Yes, that was an attempt to answer my own question.

It also tells me that a properly working and installed ax25 kernel module is responsible for the ax25, ax25_calls and ax25_route entries in /proc/net/ and not by the optional (and labeled as experimental) AX25_DAMA_SUPPORT item I opted to build in to my kernel rebuild. And yes, there wasn't supposed to be any installs into /etc/ax25 from any of the ax25 related rpm packages Neville installed. That directory and all the junk that goes in there is created by the end user, as I figured out after the fact.

Neville, here's the link to yet another ax25_how_to

I wonder if F8 also supplies the mkiss kernel module as well as the ax25 module by default? If so, you can load that and use it to set your tnc into kiss mode, provided you first get it properly attatched to a working serial port with all the proper serial port parms set. I'll also dig around and see if I can locate on the web a forum more applicable to the ham/ax25/linux stuff you're dealing with here that could provide some guidance from experienced users and perhaps get you kick started on this a bit faster than you're doing from this forum. If I find one, I'll certainly direct you to it.

I have direct access to a ham who does the initial setup our linux fpac network machines and can do this stuff in his sleep, but I don't care to be a middle man shuffling info back and forth (besides, he's the kind of guy who would most likely just say: "Tell him to RTFM").

Paul

nacross
30th January 2008, 04:54 AM
I really appreciate that both of you have make me company in this long journey. I have learn linux from this thread as much as I have learn in weeks.

I will love to have it, so I can RTFM. But so far I get the feeling that what I read has not much to relate to what I am doing. Obsolete documentation floating and been copy from one place to another.

Getting to the point, I feel more clueless now. More precisely, needing a push on the right direction. Should I keep trying Fedora 8 to make sense of why there is ax25 but not the files, making my own tree. Probably compiling a new kernel to see if I got all the stuff where most of the literature said that should be. Or should I try Debian instead (not a Debian-ish distro like ubuntu that I have tried and I didn't like it ... and probably is part why it didn't worked for me).

Ideas? suggestions?

As background, I set my self the task of setting up a machine in linux and write down steps so other amateur radio can use my errors as guide to set up a linux box for paket radio. Specially, that I intended targeting amateur radio from Central America. I knew from begining that it will not be a easy task.

For the sake of the test...

[root@localhost neville]# /sbin/modprobe mkiss
[root@localhost neville]# /sbin/lsmod | grep mkiss
mkiss 12741 0
ax25 54033 1 mkiss
crc16 5953 1 mkiss
[root@localhost neville]#

But I was able to load the kissattach using only the "/sbin/modprobe ax25" what ended wrong was my axports file.

Best regards and I really thanks both of you for all the time that you have gave me.

Neville YN1V

PabloTwo
30th January 2008, 04:04 PM
Hi Neville-

Last night I installed the ax25-apps, ax25-tools and hamlib-* rpm packages that I had rebuilt. That gave me access to the included documentation and 'man' pages included in those packages. I spent some time reading through various 'doc', 'man' files and also reviewing one of the online how-to's to see if I could get a little better clarity on what needs to be done. I also searched for an online forum that might be better suited for seeking help on this matter, without much success.

Yes, those how-to documentation are somewhat dated, but they are still valid. I did learn in last nights session that the mkiss module is not for putting the tnc into kiss mode, but a serial port driver that is required to communicate with the tnc once it's already been set to kiss mode.

I feel that you have everything at hand now to make it work and that you only need to get the /etc/ax25/axports file set up correctly and the parameters to the kissattatch command correct, whatever that may be. Once that's done, that should allow you to make outgoing connects. To be able to receive connects, you'll need to start the ax25 daemon and setup the config file for that as wells(can't recall the names of files at the moment, it's in the how-to's).

I really don't think moving to another Linux distro will get you any more "installed" on your computer to make it work easier than you have right now. You still will have to create the /etc/ax25 dir and all the configuration files that go in that directory manually. I think the best I could do for you at this point would be to grab some of the configuration files from one of our Linux fpac machines for you to crib from, though those would be much more complex than what you need as they set up multiple tnc's, some dual port, and other functions such as netrom, telpac and ip support and use USB>serial port dongles as they all run on laptops. They also use the '6pack' serial port driver instead of 'mkiss' and use some pretty sophisticated bash startup scripts to get things configured and going on bootup.

The one thing I can think of that might be tripping you up is in the axports file, where the 'speed' parameter sets the serial port interface speed to your tnc and not the baud rate speed of the tnc. I mention that just in case you might have been confused on that point (I had to read the how-to carefully to get clarity on that issue myself). Also, the 'name' you give to describe the port in the axports file (first entry) much match exactly the device to attach you specify when issuing the kissattatch command. The examples in the how-to make this pretty clear I think.

I don't even have a serial port connection on my Linux box at present. But there is one serial port header on my mb which I am getting closer to connecting to a rear panel connector to test this out myself with my tnc attached. The one and only time I did setup that serial port connector, the ribbon cable for it necessarily laid across my sound card and induced so much 'computer' noise into the sound card I quickly removed it.

You at least have my moral support in lieu of not being in a position to offer more concrete "here is what you need to do" support.

Paul

PabloTwo
30th January 2008, 05:27 PM
Neville, looking in my scratch pad notebook for something unrelated, I spotted an entry I'd made concerning the ax25 setup. In case you missed this step in any of the how-to's or other documentation source, you need to make these entries into your /etc/molules.conf file:

alias net-pf-3 ax25
alias tty-ldisc-5 mkiss

I strongly suspect doing this is "mission-critical".

EDIT: On second thought, since F8 already provides those modules, have a look in the /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf.dist file. They may already be defined there in your distro.

Paul

PabloTwo
30th January 2008, 09:27 PM
For what it's worth, here are the contents of just a very few of the files in /etc/ax25 from one of our fpac node sites (Orlando, FL). If these can help you in any way as reference material, good. If not, oh well.

# /etc/ax25/axports
#Name Call Baudrate PacLen MaxFrame Discription
0 N4PLZ-8 19200 256 7 LAN 1200 Bd 145.07
1 user-2 19200 256 7 LAN 9600 Bd 446.55
#2 user-3 19200 256 7 TEST
#6 link-3 19200 256 7 Link To CLMT 9600 Bd (Future)
7 link-2 19200 256 7 Link To MLB
8 link-1 19200 256 7 Link To DEL 9600 Bd
9 axip-1 115200 256 7 AXIP - Internet

# /etc/ax25d.conf
#
[N4PLZ-15 via 0 ]
NOCALL * * * * * * L
default * * * * * * - root /usr/local/sbin/axspawn axspawn -w %u
And just for fun, the first of 10, a bash script file to configure the first radio port. This and the others called up in sequence by yet another script file. File: Port0

#!/bin/bash
# This is the 1st User Port
# Port 0 is a 1200b User Port on 144.91
# and on Port1 of a 9612 in XKiss Mode

echo "Start Port 0"

# Device /dev/ttyUSB0 is piped thru /dev/ptyq0 (Dual Port TNC)
# Attach /dev/ttyq0 to Port 0
/usr/local/sbin/kissattach /dev/ttyq0 0 44.1.1.1 >/tmp/ax25-config.tmp
awk '/device/ { print $7 }' /tmp/ax25-config.tmp > /tmp/ax25-config-tmp
read Device < /tmp/ax25-config-tmp

# Parms: Port=0, Persist=128, Slot=10, Txtail=20, Txdelay=250
/usr/local/sbin/kissparms -p 0 -r 128 -s 10 -l 20 -t 250

# Check for Device
if [ -d /proc/sys/net/ax25/$Device ]
then cd /proc/sys/net/ax25/$Device/
/etc/ax25/Lanparms
echo " Port 0 attached to $Device "
else echo "** Error setting $Device parms**"
fi
# Port0 (End)

As said before, more complicated here than for your needs but perhaps it'll give you some hints.

Paul

nacross
31st January 2008, 05:11 AM
Paul, you are beyond moral support. The comments that you have posted have made me consider stuff that I have tried before.
You have posted 3 messages so I will like to fo one by one.

I did learn in last nights session that the mkiss module is not for putting the tnc into kiss mode, but a serial port driver that is required to communicate with the tnc once it's already been set to kiss mode.

Looking at the whole picture, what it supposed to happen is that you first invoke the ax25 module, when you do the kissattach with the parameters, the mkiss module is loaded.

They also use the '6pack' serial port driver instead of 'mkiss' and use some pretty sophisticated bash startup scripts to get things configured and going on bootup.

I looked at the script, it is complex. I made sense of part of it, enough to be useful. What I will love is to have a small explanation of how to load a script on boot up. Is there any special path to put my script? Which file do I have to edit to tell the OS to load my script on boot up? I am complete lost in this matter.

On second thought, since F8 already provides those modules, have a look in the /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf.dist file. They may already be defined there in your distro.

I made a search for it, but with no luck, you can see in the next quote the results

[root@localhost modprobe.d]# pwd
/etc/modprobe.d
[root@localhost modprobe.d]# cat modprobe.conf.dist | grep net-pf-3
install net-pf-3 /bin/true
[root@localhost modprobe.d]# cat modprobe.conf.dist | grep tty-ldisc-5
[root@localhost modprobe.d]# cat modprobe.conf.dist | grep ax25
[root@localhost modprobe.d]# cat modprobe.conf.dist | grep mkiss

I will play a little with the axports file and the kissattach to see what I am missing. But probably it will be tomorrow, today has been a long day.

Thanks for all your time and effort to help me on this.

Neville YN1V

PabloTwo
31st January 2008, 03:37 PM
Hi Neville-

OK, since those 'alias' items were not already in the /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf.dist file, do add those lines to the /etc/modules.conf file if you haven't already done so.

I wasn't trying to suggest that you implement any bash configuration script(s) by posting that script example, but if you do want to have a startup script that executes at every bootup, there are a few choices of where to place them. The simplist would be to either place your custom "rc.myscript" file in the /etc/rc.d/ directory, or, just add the commands you want executed to the already existing file /etc/rc.d/rc.local. I used the latter method last night to configure my serial port with the 'setserial' comamnd. The above method is global, that is, it will be executed no matter what user logs into your system. If you want a startup/configuration script to only run for a particular user, add the commands to run to the ~/.bashrc file of that user.

Paul

nacross
31st January 2008, 04:22 PM
Hy Paul,

There is a list called linux-ham that can be found at
http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

I wrote asking about the problems with the tree and files and here is what Matti, OH2MQK replied

libax25 should bring the /etc/ax25/axports into system.

I have done some work on porting the tools to FC-devel, but my system
compiles only x86_64 correctly, and i386 libraries get wrong library
directory.. nevertheless, see:

http://ham.zmailer.org/oh2mqk/libax25/

The libax25 is packaged into runtime and development versions.
The tarballs are compilable into packages by command like this:

rpmbuild -tb libax25-0.0.12.tar.gz

I have not yet gotten around to drag ax25-utils to current era, thus
it is not there packaged.

I think it is useful to note that Matti is not listed in the fedora project amateur radio sig, so his files may include something extra. I am not at home right now and I am bound to work in a Win-box. I will look at this later. I have seen that you tend to test things at day, while I test things at night... thats way I am giving this info before examining it.

As we were discussing about another place more appropriated to get help... I posted also the references for that mailing list.

Thanks for the tips on where to place the scripts.

Neville YN1V

leigh123linux
31st January 2008, 04:58 PM
Hy Paul,

There is a list called linux-ham that can be found at
http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

I wrote asking about the problems with the tree and files and here is what Matti, OH2MQK replied

I think it is useful to note that Matti is not listed in the fedora project amateur radio sig, so his files may include something extra. I am not at home right now and I am bound to work in a Win-box. I will look at this later. I have seen that you tend to test things at day, while I test things at night... thats way I am giving this info before examining it.

As we were discussing about another place more appropriated to get help... I posted also the references for that mailing list.

Thanks for the tips on where to place the scripts.

Neville YN1V

I have had a look at the new spec and it has been totally changed since the last version to include /etc ( I have also built it for i386 )

PabloTwo
31st January 2008, 07:21 PM
Hi Leigh-

For the sake of following along with what's happening here and assuming Neville will install the updated libax25 rpm packages you just provided, I installed them also, after removing the previous versions. Only entry in the CHANGELOG file for this version over the last is:

* Pulled whole autoconf setup to year 2007.. (OH2MQK)

Whatever that entails. And of course, the inclusion of creating the /etc/ax25 directory and placing three expample config files there and some 'man' pages regarding those files I consider a minor inclusion as all of the how-to's on this already show you what you need to do there. The install played nice though as it didn't overwrite the 'axports' file I already had configured, but just renamed it to 'axports.rpmorig'.

Neville, if you do opt to install the new packages Leigh just offered, don't use yum to unistall the version of libax25 you have now as it will take ax25-apps and ax25-tools out with it (unless you don't mind having to reinstall them afterwards). Instead, just use rpm with the --nodeps option

sudo rpm -e --nodeps libax25 libax25-devel
Include libax25-debug in there if you installed that also (I don't install any of the -debug rpm's as they are not really necessary).

I tried unsucessfully to build an rpm package today from LinPac-0.17pre3.tar.gz (a Linux packet terminal program circa 2003) but it doesn't have a .spec file included so I guess that's not doable. And Neville, I play with this stuff day or night, depending on when I have time for it. During the day, I'm most often booted into W2K, which limits what I can do with Linux to just research or downloads from the web.

EDIT: Scratch what I said about removing the libax25 packages with rpm. Leave them in and just use
sudo yum localupdate --nogpgcheck rpmfile1 rpmfile2... etc.
Even though I'm still using FC6, I recently updated my yum install to the current version in F8 and am still getting adjusted/learning the added new features.

Paul

PabloTwo
2nd February 2008, 09:41 PM
Hi Neville-

On my Linux machine I've activated my lone serial port in the bios and set it to standard DOS COM2 settings and set the baud rate to match my tnc's hard-jumpered interface baud rate of 19200. I use a rear panel slot cover-plate DB-25 connector which connects to the motherboard serial header via ribbon cable.

setserial /dev/ttyS1 uart 16550A port 0x02f8 irq 3 baud_base 19200 spd_normal skip_test
That command line runs from the /etc/rc.d/rc.local script file so it's set on each bootup of the computer. My pci slot hardware dialup modem is attatched to /dev/ttyS0. * May not be necessary to run the setserial cmd as kissattach and axports speed parm should work together to set serial port speed to correct value for your tnc.

I believe I have all the AX25 things setup correctly now to be able to make a connect call out from Linux with my PacComm Tiny-2 Mark-2 tnc in KISS mode attatched to that serial port, with the exception of one major hang up. The serial port itself seems to be disfunctional. More on that in a bit. But here's what I have done to get the AX25 setup (appearently) working:

ax25 kernel module compiled into my kernel - check
libax25 and libax25-devel packages installed - check
ax25-apps and ax25-tools packages installed - check
added 'alias net-pf-3 ax25' and 'alias tty-ldisc-5 mkiss' to /etc/modprobe.conf - check
setup /etc/ax25/axport config file as follows:

# /etc/ax25/axports
#
# The format of this file is:
#
#name callsign speed paclen window description
radio N4WKQ-0 19200 256 4 1200b 145.050Mhz (Daytona, FL)
setup /etc/ax25d.conf config file as follows:

# /etc/ax25/ax25d.conf
#
[N4WKQ-0 via radio]
NOCALL * * * * * * L
default * * * * * * - root /usr/sbin/axspawn axspawn -w %u
- check check

Then, with tnc connected and turned on and radio connected to tnc I issue these commands:

sudo modprobe mkiss ** you would also load ax25 module **
sudo kissattach /dev/ttyS1 radio 44.128.1.1
sudo kissparms -p radio -t 30 -s 100 -r 25 -f n
ax25d
mheardd
axcall radio n4zkf n4wkq-4

edit: changed a couple of things in the lines above, may do again in future as I learn more.

With the last command, I get onscreen comfirmation that the connect attempt is being made, but of course, nothing is happening on the tnc due to the problem with the serial port line. The kissattach command creates the /proc/sys/net/ax25/ax0 device as it is supposed to and a new network device shows up in ifconfig.

[paulm@speedie ~]$ ifconfig ax0
ax0 Link encap:AMPR AX.25 HWaddr N4WKQ
inet addr:44.128.1.1 Bcast:44.255.255.255 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MTU:256 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:12 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:10
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:220 (220.0 b)
I believe if you basically duplicate what I have shown here, substituting names, values, callsigns, etc. for your situation, you may have success since you have a known working serial port <> tnc connection as you proved with minicom.

I am still somewhat in the dark as to what is the proper inet address to use in the 'kissattach' command as none of the how-to's on this give you any clue there. All examples begin with 44 as the first field though. I just used the address the Orlando fpac machine uses, but everthing seems to be as it should be after doing all that except for the danged serial port blockage. I tried that serial port while running W2K and couldn't get it to work there either (using same tnc and DOS program that works fine on the other computer via a COM2 at 19200 setup). I also tried a differet connector assembly in case the one I was using was bad. Same results. I don't know if my serial port problem is solvable, or if I just have some bad hardware.

More info on my serial port issue in the following post.

Paul

PabloTwo
2nd February 2008, 09:45 PM
...continued from above post.

If anyone slogging through this cares and can spot anything obvious to them that I am missing to get my errant serial port to work, please throw it my way. ttyS0 is my pci slot dialup modem and ttyS1 is the rear panel serial line to the tnc (terminal node controller). Motherboard is an Asus A8N5K.

[paulm@speedie ~]$ sudo setserial -a /dev/ttyS0
/dev/ttyS0, Line 0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0xb000, IRQ: 16
Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
closing_wait: 3000
Flags: spd_normal skip_test

[paulm@speedie ~]$ sudo setserial -a /dev/ttyS1
/dev/ttyS1, Line 1, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 3
Baud_base: 19200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
closing_wait: 3000
Flags: spd_normal skip_test
Here is what statserial has to say

[paulm@speedie ~]$ sudo statserial -n /dev/ttyS1
Device: /dev/ttyS1

Signal Pin Pin Direction Status Full
Name (25) (9) (computer) Name
----- --- --- --------- ------ -----
FG 1 - - - Frame Ground
TxD 2 3 out - Transmit Data
RxD 3 2 in - Receive Data
RTS 4 7 out 1 Request To Send
CTS 5 8 in 0 Clear To Send <-looks suspicious to me
DSR 6 6 in 0 Data Set Ready <-looks suspicious to me
GND 7 5 - - Signal Ground
DCD 8 1 in 0 Data Carrier Detect
DTR 20 4 out 1 Data Terminal Ready
RI 22 9 in 0 Ring Indicator
[paulm@speedie ~]$ sudo statserial -n /dev/ttyS0
Device: /dev/ttyS0

Signal Pin Pin Direction Status Full
Name (25) (9) (computer) Name
----- --- --- --------- ------ -----
FG 1 - - - Frame Ground
TxD 2 3 out - Transmit Data
RxD 3 2 in - Receive Data
RTS 4 7 out 1 Request To Send
CTS 5 8 in 1 Clear To Send
DSR 6 6 in 1 Data Set Ready
GND 7 5 - - Signal Ground
DCD 8 1 in 0 Data Carrier Detect
DTR 20 4 out 1 Data Terminal Ready
RI 22 9 in 0 Ring Indicator
Notice for ttyS1 the CTS and DRS lines are low. They are in that state regardless of whether a physical device is connected to that serial port or not and stay in that state. While in W2K my 'ol DOS packet terminal program (Paket6) reports that the tnc does not appear to the 'ready' when if first tries to connect to and initialize the device. Yeah, I agree. If I recall right (getting harder all the time at my age) a low state means "I am not ready" while a high state means "yeah, bring it on".

Thanks, Paul

nacross
4th February 2008, 03:37 AM
Hello,

I am back, I have to go out of town and getting on track has take a little longer.

I will format the hard drive a start again step by step with the instructions provided by pablo_two. And use the file provided by leigh123@linux. Thanks for you help!
I feel that it will take longer, but it will be safer. I will be posting my results.

In the mean time I will look for cables (serial & power) to attach a TNC to the other computer and test all this.

I am still somewhat in the dark as to what is the proper inet address to use in the 'kissattach' command as none of the how-to's on this give you any clue there. All examples begin with 44 as the first field though.

As far as I recall 44's IP are a reserved for amateur radio. There was a IP coordinator for each region to help the use of IP for AMPRNET. In any case, the idea was that if you set up everything properly, your IP becomes an alias for your call sing, and under netrom you can establish routes using IP's and the ability of the network to find different paths to a given IP.

From: ftp://ftp.ucsd.edu/hamradio/amprnets I guess you can look for a open IP for you to use or ask to the AMPRNET IP coordinator.

44.098/18 USA:Florida KO4KS Brian A. Lantz

For my region...

44.163 Central America
Coordinator General YN1TV Theo Vlaar
Secretariate YN7DS Humberto A. Diaz S.
44.163.48/20 Nicaragua YN5JAR Jose Antonio Roman

But I get into problems because: Theo (YN1TV) has been in Africa since 1995 or so. Humberto (YN7DS) has change to YN7D and currently it is not active on packet. Jose (YN5JAR) became SK on 1994 or so. As there is no one else in Nicaragua, using packet radio and internet, probably I can pick one at my choice :)

I wonder if this IP get listed to DNS database...

By the time Theo was in Nicaragua, I read material that related to serial port communications. What you send make some sense to me (not much). I am not sure why you have the baud base at 19200, it should be the value of the chip, isn't it? Some time ago I tried to attach a ribbon in the mother board to enable a second serial port, the ribbon with BD9 didn't worked, only the ribbon with the DB25. Some boards use the first port for IR, and the COM is really a COM2. Have you checked for some weird stuff like those? I am sure that is not your case, but I am hoping that this non sense help you consider other things...

Thanks for your inputs,

Neville YN1V

PabloTwo
4th February 2008, 04:25 AM
Hi Neville-

A whole disk format and reinstall? Wow. That sounds like a lot of extra work. Thank you for the info on the 44.x.x.x thing. That cleared things up and also jogged my memory a bit on that issue.

I'll try some differnet setting for 'base_baud' in the setserial command line. The tnc is jumpered to comminicate at 19200b to the computer interface, so the serial port it is connected to has to be set to match that speed, which is what I thought I was doing by setting it 19200 with setserial. The 'baudrate' entry in the axports file also tells that port device what baudrate to use over that ttySx port. I am ssh connected right now to that remote fpac network machine to try to snoop what serial port settings are set there but that Ubuntu distro doesn't have a 'setserial' command. I don't know what debian uses to set/check serial port settings. Besides, that box (laptop) is actually using USB ports for the serial ports to all the tnc's (USB > Serial dongles).

I also did some reading in my Tiny2-MK2 tnc manual about serial port cables/connectors and read that "some" computers" required the pins 4---5 and 6---8---20 (on a DB25) to be jumpered together on the computer end to work. I did that today to test it and it did nothing to improve the results. I wish I had some other serial port device to attatch to that port to test with, but that one tnc is all that I have.

I am 99% sure that the ax25 stuff is working on my machine now but I need for that serial port to get working OK before I can be 100% sure.

Good luck in your travels,
73 Paul N4WKQ

nacross
4th February 2008, 04:51 AM
I got stuck on the installation...

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?p=956618#post956618

Neville

nacross
4th February 2008, 05:28 AM
The installation process worked out... not sure how or why... is copying the system files now.

Regarding the setserial in ubuntu... I have searched the ubuntu forum and there is some entries saying that it is the same: setserial. It needs roots privileges to run.

Neville YN1V

nacross
4th February 2008, 05:51 AM
I used a ubuntu live CD... setserial does not come by default it has to be installed

Neville

PabloTwo
4th February 2008, 04:09 PM
That was some mess with the new install on the other machine. Glad you (somehow) got it going OK. Yes, I know setserial needs root permission, same for statserial. And your explaination about setserial not being included on the Ubuntu LiveCD most likely explains why I didn't find that binary on the remote machine.

I emailed our local (well, he lives on the other side of the state from me) ham Linux guru last night about my serial port troubles and received a reply in this mornings email check. He talked a lot about other ax25 setup stuff but not much about the serial port 'problem' I'm having. I tried again in Windows this morning using the HyperTerminal program to try and talk to the tnc, no luck there either. I am about totally convinced I just have a bad serial port.

Paul

nacross
6th February 2008, 04:12 AM
Well, I am back.

I finished to install all the updates, and install all the packages named on this thread yesterday night. So for tonight I started to connect the TNC, used minicom to verify that is Ok and to set it into KISS.

Then, I tried to unpack the bz2 file that leigh123@linux made for the libax25 package. I not sure why, but it gave me errors.

$ tar xzvf libax25.tar.bz2

gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
tar: Child returned status 1
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

So, I tried by myself reading back all the stuff that we have posted here and did the following:
first downloaded the file libax25-0.0.13-4.src.rpm from http://ham.zmailer.org/oh2mqk/libax25/

rpmdev-setuptree
rpmbuild --rebuild libax25*
sudo
* password
cd /home/neville/rpmbuild/RPMS/i386
yum localinstall libax25*

the answer was:

Installed: libax25-debuginfo.i386 0:0.0.13-4 libax25-devel.i386 0:0.0.13-4
Dependency Installed: libax25.i386 0:0.0.13-4
Complete!

Then to be sure ...
rpm -q libax25*

package libax25-0.0.13-4.i386.rpm is not installed
package libax25-debuginfo-0.0.13-4.i386.rpm is not installed
package libax25-devel-0.0.13-4.i386.rpm is not installed

I have now the /etc/ax25 directory with some ports files in it.: axports nrports rsports

If I go to the GUI for install/remove software and search for libax25 the packages are listed as installed

It is OK to move on and install the ax25-apps and ax25-tools ? I wonder because I have a fresh install and probably it will be easier to fix it now, that when I have messed with more packages.

Neville YN1V

PabloTwo
6th February 2008, 04:55 AM
Hi Neville-

To untar a .bz2 package, you must use the 'j' option and not the 'z' optiion.

tar xvzf packagename.tar.gz to untar a 'gz' file.
tar xvjf packagename.tar.bz2 to untar a 'bz2' file.

When using the 'rpm' command to query if a package is installed or not, don't use '*' to glob. Try:

rpm -q libax25
rpm -q libax25-devel

I'm sure then it will tell you they are installed (I hope). Yes, by all means do install the ax25-apps and ax25-tools rpm packages.

Yesterday I did a lot of emailing back and forth with Charlie K4GBB and picked up a few more pointers.
He suggests using 44.128.x.x as the inet address in the axports file as the '128' part means it is un-routeable, but it's no big issue. He also claims it's not necessary to use the setserial cmd to set the baud_base speed on the ttySx serial line the tnc is attatched to, as it's set automatically from the speed parameter in the axports file when the kissattach cmd is executed. I also realized that some of the names of the prgrams have changed.

'call' is now axcall (axcall port callsign digipeater....), instead of 'ax25_call blah blah..
'listen' is now axlisten (axlisten -arct sets up a monitor screen that reports all traffic heard on all configured ports)

I did make some edits to my instructions hoping you would catch them. I'll check back on that post and edit again if I see/think it's necessary. Also, what I didn't do originally, was start the mheard daemon. The command for that is simply "mheadd". I am 100% sure now that my serial port is bad. Bud N0IA is mailing me a USB > Serial adaptor and I can try again with that when it gets here.

Paul N4WKQ

nacross
7th February 2008, 03:38 AM
Hello Paul,

Yesterday after writing the message I went to consult the "man tar" and found the difference between z and j. I try to keep the spirit because all this journey has help me to learn a lot. But not always is what I spect. Yesterday I tied, and repeated today with a new download just for copying the system response:

$ tar xvjf libax25.tar.bz2

bzip2: Compressed file ends unexpectedly;
perhaps it is corrupted? *Possible* reason follows.
bzip2: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Input file = (stdin), output file = (stdout)

It is possible that the compressed file(s) have become corrupted.
You can use the -tvv option to test integrity of such files.

You can use the `bzip2recover' program to attempt to recover
data from undamaged sections of corrupted files.

tar: Child returned status 2

Anyway that's not really what this post is about. Is just to keep track of my advances.

used the command (as su) that you posted before to uninstall the libax25
rpm -e --nodeps libax25 libax25-devel libax25-debuginfo

EDIT: I realised that this uninstall was unnecessary. Because as you pointed earlier my problem was with the query that I made "rpm -q libax*". I after everything was checked I did for the sake of my enjoyment "rpm -q ax25*" to see ax25-apps and ax25-tools and said that these packages weren't installed... then it hit me what you really meant ... about the rpm glob ... It was for listing and not for installing.

then reinstalled one by one the packages:

yum localinstall -- nogpgcheck libax25
yum localinstall -- nogpgcheck libax25-devel

then went to http://ham.zmailer.org/oh2mqk/libax25/ to get ax25-apps and ax25-tools but there is no ax25-apps on that site. I downloaded the ax25-tools and tried to build the rpm as regular user.

rpmbuild --rebuild ax25-tools-0.0.9-3.src.rpm

and got the following:

RPM build errors:
user mea does not exist - using root
group mea does not exist - using root
user mea does not exist - using root
group mea does not exist - using root
Installed (but unpackaged) file(s) found:
/usr/sbin/xfhdlcchpar
/usr/sbin/xfhdlcst
/usr/sbin/xfsmdiag
/usr/sbin/xfsmmixer

I didn't like that so I went for the fedora sig amateur web site http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/AmateurRadio/Packages to get the ax25-apps and ax25-tools
again as regular user I build the rpms

rpmbuild --rebuild ax25-apps-0.0.6-1.fc8.src.rpm
rpmbuild --rebuild ax25-tools-0.0.8-1.fc8.src.rpm

then as su

yum localinstall -- nogpgcheck ax25-apps-0.0.6-1.fc8.i386.rpm
yum localinstall -- nogpgcheck ax25-tools-0.0.8-1.fc8.i386.rpm

and everything went smoothly. I did the rpm -q package-name test and reported the packages.

I will do the following later (probably tomorrow night):
1.- include the alias in the configuration of modules as you suggested
2.- set up the axports file
3.- run the kissattach
4.- report back here.

I hope that you get your usb-serial adapter soon.

Neville YN1V

PabloTwo
7th February 2008, 04:28 AM
You have been busy with this. I to have been busy here. I looked again in my tnc manual and saw that a cable for DB25 at the computer end is wired differently than a cable with DB9 at the computer end. So I used an older cable that already had a DB9 correctly wired on one end, removed the DB25 male that was on the other end and soldered on a DB9 female as instructed in the manual.

Still no luck getting the computer talking to the tnc through that cable either from the W2K/Linux box in either Windows or Linux.

Yes, this kind of stuff can be a great learning experience. To complete the task you are trying to do you must learn some things along the way to get there. That's the way it's been with me and Linux. I expect that perhaps tomorrow the USB > Serial adapter will be at the Post Office waiting for me. I'll be very interested to learn if you get your Linux packet setup working.

73, Paul N4WKQ

PabloTwo
7th February 2008, 04:48 PM
Hi Neville-

There is also an 'easy' way to get the rpm packages for ax25 stuff. There is a repository for them.
Create the file: /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-ham.repo
In the 'fedora-ham.repo file, put this text:

[fedora-hams]
name=Fedora $releasever - $basearch - Hams
baseurl=http://hams.bobjensen.com/$releasever/$basearch/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0
If for any reason yum fails to 'find' that repo, then edit the line beginning with baseurl= to:
baseurl=http://hams.bobjensen.com/8/i386/

You can test if yum is using the correct url by then doing: yum info libax25
You can also go directly to that repo url and manually download any of the pre-built rpm files there in your browser.

Paul

nacross
8th February 2008, 02:16 AM
Hello again,

I did the editing of the /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf.dist file to include the alias.
At this point I wondered how to refresh this info ... a reboot has to do it... but it should be a shortcut!
Well I did the reboot.
Then went to edit the axports file to include a new port.

After I edited the axports file I copied from the terminal ...

[root@localhost ax25]# cat axports
# /etc/ax25/axports
#
#
# name callsign speed paclen window description
#
#1 OH2BNS-1 1200 255 2 144.675 MHz (1200 bps)
#2 OH2BNS-9 38400 255 7 TNOS/Linux (38400 bps)
1 YN1V 9600 255 2 145.010 Mhz (1200bps)

[root@localhost ax25]# /usr/sbin/kissattach /dev/ttyS1 1 44.163.48.100
AX.25 port 1 bound to device ax0
[root@localhost ax25]# /usr/sbin/kissparms -p 1 -t 300 -r 128 -s 100 -l 30
axconfig: port with call 'YN1V' is not active
kissparms: no AX.25 ports configured
[root@localhost ax25]# axcall 1 yn1bbs
axconfig: port with call 'YN1V' is not active
axcall: no AX.25 port data configured

I feel almost sure that I am missing something, as if I have to edit another file... but I can not recall anything else.

By the way, there is a command to un-kissattach? That is, if I want to get hold of the TNC now, the ttyS1 is locked because of the kissattach.

I review your post regarding editing the repositories to have a entry that will allow yum to install the packages. It is great, what I value the most is the implications on updates. I will try it later in my second machine.

Thanks for your support

Neville YN1V

PabloTwo
8th February 2008, 03:44 PM
I do not know of a command to refresh the /etc/modprobe.conf or etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf.dist but I bet there is one. Yes, a reboot is a sure way to do it. It might be a good idea to put the 'alias net-pf-3 ax25' and 'alias tty-ldisc-5 mkiss' entries in /etc/modprobe.conf as well as the /etc/modprobd.d/modprobde.conf.dist file just to be sure.

I am not sure of this, but you might need to put the '-0' SSID on your callsign in the axports file. That is what I did with mine.
Did you remember to do 'modprobe ax25' and 'modprobe mkiss' before issuing the kissattach and kissparms commands?

I do not know if it is absolutely necessary to do so or not, but you did not mention setting up a ax25d.conf file. You can see the example of the way I set up mine back in my post of the steps you need to follow. But the basic steps should be this:

Setup /etc/ax25/axports and /etc/ax25/ax25d.conf files
modprobe ax25
modprobe mkiss
kissattach your command arguments
kissparms your command arguments
ax25d
mheardd

After that, you should be able to do:
'ls /proc/sys/net/ax25/ax0' and see a bunch of listings there.
'ifconfig ax0' and be shown a report for that new network device. Then try
'axcall 1 yn1bbs'

edit: corrected- 'cat /proc/sys/net/ax0' was not right.
Paul

PabloTwo
8th February 2008, 04:54 PM
And to address some other issues you brought up-

I am working in Windows at present so I can't confirm this, but I seem to recall that kissattach did have command to shut itself down. Do 'man kissattach' to check that out. In case it does not, you can do it this way:

ps axu | grep kissattach

The PID number of that process will be displayed on the left in the resulting listing. Then use:

kill pidnumber

You can do the same for 'ax25d' and 'mheardd' to shut those down as well, as root, of course.

I had to delete those pesky ttySx lock files several times in my trial and error testing. Again, as root:

rm /var/lock/LCK.*

Paul

nacross
8th February 2008, 10:39 PM
Hello Paul,

Today I am 226 km away of home. I am doing a consultancy work interviewing small hotel owners. I reach the end of my today's journey where I will make an interview and then stay at this hotel. I have some others interview up north before returning home tomorrow after lunch.

I will duplicate the alias that I punt on etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf.dist on the file /etc/modprobe.conf to continue with the testing. After it is working, I will comment on one file and then on the other to be sure if it is needed this duplication and if it works in one or the other.

Regarding the modprobe, I did the ax25 but not the mkiss. In my previuos experience with ubuntu the mkiss where loaded at the time that the kissattach command where issued. Nevertheless I will try with that before the kissattach next time. Again from my previous experience with ubuntu the SSID was not an issue for a single port. Still I will try it.

I am reading a ax25_how_to on the web. And verifying that the ax25d.conf is for allowing incoming connections. I will need that later, but it is not an issue at the moment that I want to setup the port and the outbound connections.

Thanks for the tips on stopping the ax25 stuff. More linux knowledge that will be useful beyond the ax25 topic.

When I get home saturday afternoon, I will put all this on practice.

Best regards

Neville YN1V

PabloTwo
9th February 2008, 04:16 AM
Hi Neville-

The Edgeport/1 USB > Serial adaptor N0IA sent me arrived today. I first tried it in Windows, but had to find, download and install a driver for it to run in Windows. Once the driver was installed and I figured out which COM port Windows assigned to that device, I was able use the Windows Hyper Terminal prgram to talk to the tnc just fine from my W2K/Linux machine and even connected out on packet.

When I switched to Linux and tried, everything seemed to work OK except I was not getting any response from my connect attempts. When I then monitored my tx signal using a scanner radio, it was obvious there was much too short of a Txdelay. So, using '-t 400' in the kissparms command instead of '-t 40' put Txdelay where it should be and all was well. Success. And yes, I could use minicom to put the tnc into kiss mode.

Before I tried making my first connect out in Linux I used the 'axlisten -artc' command to set up a monitor screen. It was printing all the heard signals that were strong enough to be heard. Now, if that split screen terminal that 'axcall' sets up just had a way to scroll back in the rx buffer I'd be somewhat content, but it doesn't seem to offer any such option for scroll back.

But it's working here now. I'm sure you'll have yours up and running pretty soon also. I hope your trip is sucessful.

Paul

PabloTwo
10th February 2008, 08:15 PM
Hi Neville-

With all the confidence that you will have success in getting your ax25 configuration up and running in short order, here are some bash script files that will automate the setup process for you. Included is a README file explaining what you need to do with these files.

Paul

nacross
11th February 2008, 03:34 AM
Hello Paul,

I just downloaded the file that you posted but I have no luck with those bz2 files...

[neville@localhost Desktop]$ ls
ax25SetupScripts.tar.bz2
[neville@localhost Desktop]$ tar xvjf ax25SetupScripts.tar.bz2

bzip2: Compressed file ends unexpectedly;
perhaps it is corrupted? *Possible* reason follows.
bzip2: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Input file = (stdin), output file = (stdout)

It is possible that the compressed file(s) have become corrupted.
You can use the -tvv option to test integrity of such files.

You can use the `bzip2recover' program to attempt to recover
data from undamaged sections of corrupted files.

tar: Child returned status 2
[neville@localhost Desktop]$

I was reading the ax25_how_to and found some references that you don't use ax0 as a port name. The system assigns that name. So I changed my port name to mfj as my TNC (MFJ-1270C). Then I used an SSID as you suggested. That ended the changes in the axports file. Then I copied the paclen values form the same how_to for the kissparams command.

Now it is working... just for the sake of keeping records I will quote the whole thing.
First the axports file:

[root@localhost ax25]# pwd
/etc/ax25
[root@localhost ax25]# cat axports
# /etc/ax25/axports
#
#
# name callsign speed paclen window description
#
#1 OH2BNS-1 1200 255 2 144.675 MHz (1200 bps)
#2 OH2BNS-9 38400 255 7 TNOS/Linux (38400 bps)
mfj YN1V-1 9600 255 2 145.010 Mhz (1200bps)
[root@localhost ax25]#

Then as su I loaded the ax25 module with the command:

/sbin/modprobe ax25

Finally the commands to get the kiss device working

[root@localhost ax25]# /usr/sbin/kissattach -m 512 /dev/ttyS1 mfj 44.163.48.100
AX.25 port mfj bound to device ax0
[root@localhost ax25]# /usr/sbin/kissparms -p mfj -t 300 -s 100 -r 25
[root@localhost ax25]#

Still some work to do on my computer...
1.- include all this in the boot process taking what you suggested about the rc
2.- set up the ax25d to test for incoming connections

for the near future two mayor tasks:
XASTIR and FBB

Thanks for helping with all this process, I really appreciated.

best regards

Neville YN1V

PabloTwo
11th February 2008, 04:07 AM
Neville, I suppose it is possible the file could be corrupted. I just untarred it on my system and it uncompressed just fine. The filesize should 2768 Kb for "ax25SetupScripts.tar.bz2". If the copy you downloaded isn't that size, then something is wrong. The command to untar it is:

tar xvfj ax25SetupScripts.tar.bz2

Yes, I know you don't use 'ax0' as a port name. I am now using '0' as my portname in the axports file. I had modified the scripts in that package to use the portname '1' for your setup as that is what I saw you were using in one of your previous posts.

I'm glad to know you got it all going. I knew you would. If you still have trouble untarring that package, send me a personal message with your email address and I'll email a copy of it to you, modified with your current axports parameters as well. If you do get that untarred OK, be sure and read the README as you'll now need to edit the Port1 file to reflect the change you made to your portname (from '1' to "mfj'. I put the lines in to also load 'ax25d' in the script but commented them out so you could uncomment them when you were ready to use it.

What that Port1 script does is:
modprobe installs the ax25 module
modprobe installs the mkiss module
runs the kissattach command
runs the kissparms command
makes a call to the Lanparms script that puts all the parameters in the 'ax0' device just created.
starts the mheardd daemon running
#starts the ax25d daemon running (after you uncomment that line)

You can edit the Lanparms script to adjust the parameters to your liking.

All that happens in the blink of an eye and works great for me here. The other file included is a script that reads all the values in the ax* devices that are configured and displays them in a nice tidy format.

Have you tried setting up a 'listen' screen yet with the 'axlisten -artc' command once you have it up and running?

Paul N4WKQ

nacross
11th February 2008, 04:33 AM
Paul,

I just tried the axlisten windows and it is working fine.

I wonder if there is a better way for ports names. I guess numbers are easy to keep in order. I have no special love for calling my ports following my TNC. I just did as was the first thing that came to my mind, and using radio as the ax25_how_to was kind of not good if I want to build more rf_ports.

Best regards.

Neville YN1V

nacross
2nd March 2008, 10:42 PM
This is an update!

At the time that I was working on solving this topic, there was a group of people making this easy. There is a special group of fedora users devoting to ham radio applications:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/AmateurRadio

They have prepared and submitted several packages to be included in the fedora repositories. You can browse from the above link or take a shortcut to the packages list using the link below

http://bjensen.fedorapeople.org/pkgs/hams/

By now what you need to install the ax25 packages is just to do a yum command like:

sudo yum install libax25 libax25-devel ax25-apps ax25-tools

Now it is easy, and I you don't need to install all the legacy and developer packages that were listed in this thread before. I just tested with a clean with only installed the default office/productivity packages (nothing from developer or server) and worked fine.

The only issue that remains is that this install does not create the directory /etc/ax25 and therefore there is no /etc/ax25/axports file.

You can go tho the ax25 howto in the linux documentation project to find out how to create this configuration file. Look at the link below

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/AX25-HOWTO/x495.html#AEN1143

I have my time of frustration, but in the end I learn a lot during this process

Neville YN1V