PDA

View Full Version : After auto update vmware crashes system

WillKemp
18th January 2008, 09:18 AM
Hi,

I had vmware working perfectly on my F8 x86_64 system - until yesterday. In response to the usual yum-updatesd notification that there were 12 updates, i installed them. After that, when i start vmware from the command line, i get the following error message:

/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware: /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libpng12.so.0/libpng12.so.0: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0)
/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware: /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libpng12.so.0/libpng12.so.0: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2)

And when i try and start a virtual machine, the whole system freezes - or, at least, all input does. I haven't got a second computer to try ssh'ing into it from.

One of the packages updated was cairo - so i guess i can just roll back that update, but it doesn't look to me like libgdk_pixbuf was updated by any of the packages (although i haven't systematically checked all packages for it).

Anyway, i'll try and roll back the cairo update and see what happens. But in the meantime, if anyone has got a better solution or an explanation i'd love to hear it.

WillKemp
18th January 2008, 09:37 AM
Ah, libpng12 is in the cairo package, so that explains both errors. However, i'm not entirely sure how to go about rolling back the update. I thought yumex had that capability, but i must have been thinking about synaptic - which i used to use, some time ago now. All i can think of doing is installing the original package from the F8 installation ISO...

Seve
18th January 2008, 01:37 PM
Hello:
I have VMWare server installed V1.04 and it runs fine after all the updates.
I also started it from a terminal and it produced the same output as you posted.

$ vmware
/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware: /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libpng12.so.0/libpng12.so.0: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0)
/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware: /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libpng12.so.0/libpng12.so.0: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2)
So I suspect that the cairo package may not be your problem.

Are you running out of disk space ?

Seve

WillKemp
18th January 2008, 02:34 PM
So I suspect that the cairo package may not be your problem.
Ok, well that's good to know, Thanks.

Are you running out of disk space ?
No, nothing like. Even if i was, it shouldn't freeze X!

It's doubly annoying, because i just deleted the windows partition that i used to dual boot with. Not that i use windows very often, though, and it's never really important. I did wonder if the two things were related, but vmware does the same thing when i create a new VM and try and boot that up.

Seve
18th January 2008, 02:37 PM
Hello:
Just a suggestion.
Try running through
vmware-config.pl
again

Seve

WillKemp
18th January 2008, 06:02 PM
Yeah, thanks. But ive tried that twice. And ive uninstalled vmware and installed it again. Still the same!

Seve
18th January 2008, 06:21 PM
Hello:
If you run from a terminal as root
tail -f /var/log/messages
and then start vmware are there any clues as to what is happening ?

or start vmware with

strace -v -o /home/username/vmare.log vmware

and check the output to see if there are any errors or clues present.

Seve

Thierry18
18th January 2008, 10:46 PM
maybe
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=178324
can help you for libpng12

WillKemp
18th January 2008, 11:02 PM
If you run from a terminal as root
tail -f /var/log/messages
Yeah, checking /var/log/messages is pretty much the first thing i do when i'm trying to debug something. There's no clues in there!

strace -v -o /home/username/vmare.log vmware
I can't get it to work with strace. If i don't follow forks, then it forks and i've lost it. If i do follow forks, it just doesn't work - the startup dialog won't accept input. I'm not sure why and i don't know enough about this stuff to work it out.

Thanks.

WillKemp
18th January 2008, 11:08 PM
maybe
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=178324
can help you for libpng12

Ah. Thanks for that! I did search for recent vmware posts, but didn't find this one...