PDA

View Full Version : make Troubles

Eric North
18th January 2008, 08:04 AM
Good day,

I'm running FC7 and am trying to get my WiFi up and running. Any attempts to "make" a distribution of ndiswrapper have failed since I installed an older version of the kernel. Details on my kernel are as follows:

[root@localhost ndiswrapper_1_49]# rpm -qa | grep kernel
kernel-headers-2.6.23.8-34.fc7
kernel-devel-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7
kernel-2.6.22.9-91.fc7.stk16
kernel-devel-2.6.23.8-34.fc7

I started with kernel 2.6.23.8-34.fc7 however I forced an installation of an older kernel that supports 16K stack space (on the advice that this would allow certain windows drivers to function properly). Since the installation, I am unable to, "make" or "make install" anything!

I get this error when attempting to make a distribution of ndiswrapper for my system:

[root@localhost ndiswrapper_1_49]# make clean
make -C driver clean
make[1]: Entering directory `/root/Desktop/Ware/ndiswrapper_1_49/driver'
Makefile:64: *** No .config found in , please set KBUILD to configured kernel. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/Desktop/Ware/ndiswrapper_1_49/driver'
make: *** [clean] Error 2

What should I do in order to set everything straight for gcc to work properly?

'Just started using Linux - I'm as new as you get! Thanks for any help in advance.

Eric

Bslagowski
18th January 2008, 03:29 PM
The first think I do with any error is plug the thing into Google. It's helped me solve more problems than anything else. Even more important, it helps me figure out what the problem is. Some errors are pretty crpytic and mean absolutely nothing to an inexperienced end-user.

http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?t=71416&sid=fee783ea8ebad2f656eda4341ccdd4e3

This guy has a very similar problem. Compiling Ndiswrapper with an "abnormal" kernel. I can't say whether the suggestions in the thread will help, or if they're safe ... but it's a place to start. :)

A few things I've noticed combing through that post ...

Fedora's files aren't in all the same places as Mandrivia's. Not too surprising. That first command would be:

su -
KBUILD=/usr/src/kernels/linux-`uname -r`
cp -p /boot/config-`uname -r` $KBUILD/.config

Again, not sure whether this will work or not ... proceed at your own risk! Someone smarter than me will probably come along and either verify this method, or provide a better method. :)

Eric North
18th January 2008, 08:51 PM
Thank-you for your help.

Eric