PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry 8830 charging issues

griffse
16th January 2008, 04:30 PM
When I connect my BlackBerry 8830 I get a "USB charging current is not sufficient.." error. I tried to install Barry0.11 but the dependencies are all messed up, any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

leigh123linux
16th January 2008, 04:52 PM
When I connect my BlackBerry 8830 I get a "USB charging current is not sufficient.." error. I tried to install Barry0.11 but the dependencies are all messed up, any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I am not surprised as you need to charge from a powered USB hub !!

griffse
16th January 2008, 05:08 PM
I am not surprised as you need to charge from a powered USB hub !!

Well, it works fine on the same port in Windows. Is this just a driver issue?

reashlin
16th January 2008, 05:46 PM
Where exactly is this port, on the tower/motherboard/seperate hub.

Software has no control over the power running through a USB socket so it is more likely hardware than anything else.

griffse
16th January 2008, 05:58 PM
Where exactly is this port, on the tower/motherboard/seperate hub.

Software has no control over the power running through a USB socket so it is more likely hardware than anything else.
Good questions, This is an IBM r51 laptop so they are on the motherboard. Software does indeed control power output to USB ports and I am researching the impact with this link:
http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-usb-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg17552.html

Any additional help would be great as the above link has not yet worked completely.

glennzo
16th January 2008, 06:17 PM
When I connect my BlackBerry 8830 I get a "USB charging current is not sufficient.." error. I tried to install Barry0.11 but the dependencies are all messed up, any suggestions? Thanks in advance.Hi griffse, just for kicks where do you see that message? On the BlackBerry screen? I plugged mine in (8700G) and there was a message that popped up on the screen but it disappeared before I could read it. I have the little lightening bolt symbol as if it's charging but I'm not so sure about that.

griffse
16th January 2008, 06:22 PM
Hi griffse, just for kicks where do you see that message? On the BlackBerry screen? I plugged mine in (8700G) and there was a message that popped up on the screen but it disappeared before I could read it. I have the little lightening bolt symbol as if it's charging but I'm not so sure about that.

Yes, it was on the BlackBerry screen. Here is the scoop so far, Linux only sends 100 mWa to USB ports by default but devices like phones want 500 mWa to charge. You are effectively getting a trickle charge but nothing sufficient to charge the device quickly. Modifying the correct setting somewhere will fix this. I am try to get Barry-0.11 working but it is somewhat messing and can't find dependencies in it's own parent directory right now for some reason.

glennzo
16th January 2008, 06:25 PM
Here's a couple BlackBerry links for you that you may or may not know about.
http://www.blackberryforums.com/
http://www.blackberryforums.com/linux-users-corner/

leigh123linux
16th January 2008, 06:42 PM
Yes, it was on the BlackBerry screen. Here is the scoop so far, Linux only sends 100 mWa to USB ports by default but devices like phones want 500 mWa to charge. You are effectively getting a trickle charge but nothing sufficient to charge the device quickly. Modifying the correct setting somewhere will fix this. I am try to get Barry-0.11 working but it is somewhat messing and can't find dependencies in it's own parent directory right now for some reason.

Try this link for help

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-ma.mjfMjfqJUD4zlQThXHOek1nbwzg--?cq=1

glennzo
16th January 2008, 08:10 PM
Nice link Leigh. I was able to get MultiSync installed. There is, I think, a lot that's assumed of the reader. Following the authors' writings doesn't 'just work'. There were a lot of errors that I encountered, especially since I didn't have any development tools installed, but with a little work on my part I was able to get everything installed and working so I can sync the BlackBerry with Evolution, but we still ain't charging off of the laptop while running Linux. :)