PDA

View Full Version : Wireless NIC support Fedora 8

David08
16th January 2008, 04:05 AM
I just moved into a studio apartment, and I can only receive wireless internet connection to my desktop computer. I was wondering if there is any preferred brand name for a wireless nic card that I can add to my computer that would be supported and work with Fedora v.8?

Any suggestions? I always buy wired linksys nic cards. But I don't know what the wireless nic card support is like for Fedora 8. I don't want to buy a nic that's going to be a pain in the .... any proffered nics or any suggestion on wireless nic brand name?

Thanks.
:cool:

Jasbo
16th January 2008, 05:16 AM
I have two wireless cards running in my Thinkpad. One is the onboard Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2915ABG and the second is a pcmcia Netgear Wg511 card. I have the intel up and running with wpa2 encryption hidden ssid and the whole deal the way I wanted. It wasn't easy though and it won't work in monitor mode for me at the moment.

The Netgear card is of the Prism54 chipset. I only had to download the appropriate firmware and used the driver that was already in Fedora 8. It even works in monitor mode for kismet, and the new aircrack-ng suite. Can surf and run Kismet at the same time on the other interface....it is pretty slick.

IMHO look for an adapter with the Prism54 chip. I have had this one for a few years now and I am not up2date on the availability but I have never had an adapter that was easier to setup in Linux than this one. Hope this helps a little

David08
16th January 2008, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the reply. My intention is to put a PCI wireless adapter into my desktop computer. I tried to searching for the chipset that you told me about. I don't know how to find that particular chipset other than calling the Netgear company. Do you have any suggestions on any of the PCI wireless adapters?

Thanks.

tbaker01
29th January 2008, 04:14 AM
Look into the Atheros chipset. It is supported by the Madwifi driver (although I think it is considered "non-free" and you will need a third party repository for yum like livna). It worked perfectly when I installed Ubuntu "Dapper Drake" and it still works now with Fedora 7. Go to <a href=http://madwifi.org>madwifi.org<a> for a list of cards using the Atheros chipset and how well they work.

Also, look into the intel wireless chipsets. I just installed Fedora 8 on a less than 1 year old Dell laptop with an intel chipset and wireless worked out of the box without any tweaking.