PDA

View Full Version : CPU Fan trouble

Agares
14th January 2008, 01:14 PM
I am having trouble with my cpu fan increasing in speed as the cpu core temp rises. It is currently at 63 and I am concerned considering this is just below dangerous levels and I am only on the internet. Also it just shuts down after getting so hot naturally. Furthermore the fan is just barely running but under any other OS I have not had this kind of trouble. The computer I am using is an Inspiron 1501 with an AMD Turion X2 and here is my kernel version 2.6.23.9-85.fc8 (maybe its a kernel issue?) if this is any help. I also set acpi=on in the grub.conf but this seemed to have no effect.

Thanks for any help

forkbomb
14th January 2008, 01:27 PM
I am having trouble with my cpu fan increasing in speed as the cpu core temp rises. It is currently at 63 and I am concerned considering this is just below dangerous levels and I am only on the internet. Also it just shuts down after getting so hot naturally. Furthermore the fan is just barely running but under any other OS I have not had this kind of trouble. The computer I am using is an Inspiron 1501 with an AMD Turion X2 and here is my kernel version 2.6.23.9-85.fc8 (maybe its a kernel issue?) if this is any help. I also set acpi=on in the grub.conf but this seemed to have no effect.

Thanks for any help
Turion is a laptop processor, right?

63 celsius, I assume? You're right - that is hot. I get mad when my laptop runs far above 40.

Maybe the issue is with dust on the heatsinks or occluding the exhaust ports. First I'd try ripping the laptop apart and blasting all the dust out (I've had to do that on my Inspiron 6000 a few times).

(Also, I believe I read somewhere about that model of laptop having some serious overheating problems because of bad exhaust design on the bottom. Depending on how new it is, you may have gotten one from the bad line that had massive overheating issues.)

Evil_Bert
14th January 2008, 01:45 PM
I'd second the dust theory.

The first time I took the fan off a CPU heatsink (years ago, now), I was amazed how much dust had accumulated inside. I've found that taking the vacuum cleaner to it (via the crevice or slim brush attachments) works as well as any other method and only takes about five minutes. Unscrew/unplug the fan, vacuum, then screw the fan back on and plug-in and you're away. I do this at least annually.

With AMD64 CPUs, my workstations usually run around 45-50 deg C. Pentium 4's are a tad hotter.

Footnote: I've had the dubious pleasure of being responsible for some very expensive computing and electronic equipment in an industrial environment. Dust is the no. 1 enemy, and those equipment rooms were kept as dust-free as possible. Air filters were fitted on all intakes, which were inspected and cleaned regularly. In the most critical equipment, circuit cards were removed, cleaned and replaced on a periodic basis to keep them dust-free.

Evil_Bert
14th January 2008, 03:25 PM
On a related topic ...

Over a couple of years or so, the thermal compound between chip and heatsink can degrade - not always, but sometimes - depending on its quality and how well it was applied.

In a couple of cases, after a re-burn in period, I've been able to achieve a 6-to-7 deg C. CPU temperature reduction after disassembling the heatsink, cleaning the surfaces and reapplying good-quality thermal compound.

Agares
15th January 2008, 06:47 PM
I recently did take apart the laptop to replace the motherboard and put new thermal grease on and its clear of dust (it is pretty new). Furthermore I have had this problem before so I am pretty sure the heat sink is seated correctly especially considering how cramped it is in the laptop there is hardly any room for parts being seated wrong. Also I have read like some of you that earlier Inspiron models had some bad heat management issues so I am considering this as a problem with design not necessarily a Fedora issue.

Thanks for the help I'll keep in mind next time not to buy a Dell lol.

forkbomb
15th January 2008, 08:39 PM
I recently did take apart the laptop to replace the motherboard and put new thermal grease on and its clear of dust (it is pretty new). Furthermore I have had this problem before so I am pretty sure the heat sink is seated correctly especially considering how cramped it is in the laptop there is hardly any room for parts being seated wrong. Also I have read like some of you that earlier Inspiron models had some bad heat management issues so I am considering this as a problem with design not necessarily a Fedora issue.

Thanks for the help I'll keep in mind next time not to buy a Dell lol.
Well, I don't think you can go wrong with Dell. May sound funny coming out of a Linux user, but I've found Dell machines to be solid in the past. Then again, I've only bought two - 1 was a refurb that my parents use now; works great and is still kickin' after 5+ years. My other one is my Inspiron 6000. Chews through batteries like nobody's business, but it's a solid machine that keeps kicking as well.

This one's a tough call. On the one hand, you said that you applied thermal grease (I've never done that - I should do that once, huh?) and all that jazz, but on the other hand you said you've not had this problem in other operating systems. Can't think of anything that would specifically make this a Fedora issue.

A.Serbinski
15th January 2008, 10:02 PM
Check CPU activity. Anything taking up a large number of CPU cycles? Is the frequency dropping down to 800 MHz when idle, or is it sitting pegged at maximum?

bbfuller
15th January 2008, 11:27 PM
Hello Agares

I used to have this trouble with my Turion 64 HP/Compaq laptop, there was kernel fix for my problem during the life of F7 which went missing in early F8 and has now been reinstated again. So my problem is not quite the same as yours.

I did find that the cure for mine was to run with acpi=off

That caused the fan to run at a steady rate all the time, the machine wouldn't power off automatically, but at least it didn't overheat.

Might be worth trying.

Incidentally, the fan still doesn't work properly if I reboot the machine. I have to actually shut the machine down and then start up again to keep things sane.