PDA

View Full Version : Need Help installing a Broadcom 4309 wirless on HP dv8000 with FC8

Flyboy(52I)
12th January 2008, 06:18 PM
I've tried the FWcutter method that have been posted in some forums and a while ago I also tried the NWSrapper neither of which worked for me. Known facts, I'm new and very green to Fedora. My computer is a HP dv8000 Triple booted with XPpro, Vista Home Premium, & FC8. I also have the Broadcom 4309 wireless card which in all of the searching in the forums I've searched, is not listed.

I've tried a few of the other type cards but when I go to the network utilities and try to configure the card, it comes back as "specific card can not be located". I'm requesting assistance at the most basic level to get my wireless card working so I can get rid of this tether know as a LAN. I've confused myself with the different ways of installing that I've tried. Please help. Thanks in advance.

bbfuller
12th January 2008, 07:02 PM
Hello Flyboy(52I)

Welcome to the forum.

There are at least two ways to configure wireless cards and you don't say much about what you have tried, like how far you got with fwcutter and where it failed.

Normally, you wouldn't try to configure the card with the network utilities you would use NetworkManager, but that can behave differently depending on if you installed from the CD or a DVD and if you are running Gnome or KDE as your desktop.

I've included a link to a pretty good howto here:

http://www.fedoraguide.info/index.php/Fedora8#Broadcom_b43_.28Method_1.29

on broadcom and wireless that may give you a few ideas but if you'd like to post back an answer to the questions above we'll try to help further.

One thing that catches many out is that Fedora no longer uses the bcm43xx-fwcutter program which many instructions reference. Although it is still in Fedora you should now use the b43-fwcutter program, a completely different beast.

Flyboy(52I)
12th January 2008, 07:20 PM
Thanks and I'll try your "how-to" and report back. As far as the telling how far I got with the other two; to be exact, well I would have to do it again to duplicate the problem. But in general, I remember I was in as root and the nwsrapper method told me something couldn't be found. Like I said there though, to be exact I can not say now.

And thanks for the Welcome.

Flyboy(52I)
12th January 2008, 09:25 PM
Ok, I'm back. I didn't get far though. results below:

1.) first go around

[Joe@localhost ~]$ su -c 'yum install b43-fwcutter'
Password:
fedora 100% |=========================| 2.1 kB 00:00
http://mirror.nuvio.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/8/i386/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] HTTP Error 503: Service Temporarily Unavailable
Trying other mirror.
updates 100% |=========================| 2.3 kB 00:00
Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
Package b43-fwcutter - 008-1.fc8.i386 is already installed.
Nothing to do
[Joe@localhost ~]$ su -c 'gedit /usr/share/doc/b43-fwcutter-008/README'
Password:

(gedit:11034): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.

When I tried to move forward I got this:

u -c 'b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware ~/Downloads/bcmwl5.sys'
Password:
Cannot open input file /root/Downloads/bcmwl5.sys
[Joe@localhost ~]$ su -c 'gedit /usr/share/doc/b43-fwcutter-008/README.Fedora'
Password:

(gedit:11568): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.
[Joe@localhost ~]$

Now, a couple other clues; I realy don't know what i'm doing in fedora terminal commands. I have to look each up to have a clue as to what is going on. any more help?

bbfuller
12th January 2008, 10:25 PM
Hello Flyboy(52I)

The first part of your output after the $ su -c 'yum install b43-fwcutter' is pretty much to be expected. The b43-cutter program is usually installed with Fedora8. Best to be sure though.

The second part is to do with the 'su' and the 'su -' commands.

You know that as an ordinary user, you only have limited rights and limited access to certain areas of your file system.

The command su still only gives you access to the areas that you would be able to get into as an ordinary user but gives you root or administrator rights in those areas.

su - gives you full root or administrator access to everywhere and to write files there as well.

Usually you issue the command su - at the beginning of a session like this and then after you have given the root password you don't need it for other commands. I see though that in this howto it is being used for each command and is reverting to your usual user after the command is finished.

I think the problem lies with the assumptions in this command:

su -c 'b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware ~/Downloads/bcmwl5.sys'

su - makes you root and the symbol ~ tells the following command to look for the files in Roots home directory.

So assuming you have the bcmwl5.sys file in /home/Joe/Downloads the command is looking in the wrong place, that is /root/Downloads

The command should read then:

su -c 'b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware /home/Joe/Downloads/bcmwl5.sys'

Try using:

su -

first and giving the root password and then:

b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware /home/Joe/Downloads/bcmwl5.sys

no need for the inverted commas then.

Hope that helps.

I'll be looking out for any replies in the next couple of hours.

Flyboy(52I)
13th January 2008, 03:27 AM
Ok, good news (I think). I was able to use the FWcutter command and it extracted b43Legacy. After rebooting and going back in to the Network Device Control, Configure, and add a device; bingo b43 is now available. I selected it, configured it and tried to activate it.

Problem: "SIOCSIFFLAGS: no such file or directory"

I haven't got a clue. I have dhcp set, the Network key and no SSID (which is supposed to be optional). but at least it sees the card now. So I'm that much further. thanks for the help so far. Any more that you have will also be appreciated.

bbfuller
13th January 2008, 10:54 AM
Hello Flyboy(52I)

The first part of what we did was relatively easy. What needs to be running now is - well, I'm not quite sure how national phrases cross the Atlantic , but I saw someone on the forum the other day refer to it as a "crap shoot". I think that's one of yours?

First way to try to configure the card is probably not through Network Device Control.

Best to remove from there any entries you have made and ensure in the same dialogue that the card is NOT set to activate to boot time.

Now open the services module:

system-config-services

from the command line will do it. It's in different places on the KDE and Gnome menu structures.

Make sure the services NetworkManager and NetworkManagerDispatcher are started and set to run at boot time. Also make sure that wpa_supplicant is set not to run (NetworkManager will call that if it needs it).

If you are running Gnome you should now have an icon representing your wireless card top right of the screen on the task bar.

In KDE you will need to go to Main Menu - System - KNetworkManager and just possibly log out and back in or even reboot before it shows. Bottom right this time.

Left clicking on that icon should list wireless networks found, left clicking on one of those should prompt you for a wireless key if needed. Note it will also ask you for a password for storing the network key as well. Some people get confused between the two.

This really is "Lap of the Gods" type stuff though. I'e got access to four wireless cards here, three work perfectly like this, one I've not yet managed to get to connect.

A few things to ponder if it doesn't work out first time.

Network Manager doesn't like hidden ssid's.

It doesn't appear to like WPA2 though that may be changing.

If it won't connect and you have WEP/WPA enabled on the access point, disable it for a time and see if you can connect that way and then add security back in.

I'll be looking for progress with interest.

Flyboy(52I)
13th January 2008, 11:55 PM
Ok, i've followed you through everything so far and I understand. Thank you. I currently have the network card icons (bottom right corner) and by left clicking on it, I can 'Connect to OTHER wireless network' and by following that through, I find the usual settings and questions. Like you suggested, i have not been able to secure a connection yet but I am going through all the possiblities which leads me to the next question: How do I remove a non-working network connection from this area? For that matter, how do I edit an existing connection so I do not have to create a new one? (would be better)

Ah, but wait! I have more.. (sounds like a TV commercial now don't it? :) ), any way, is there a way to "view existing wireless networks" or "available wireless networks"? That might be extremely helpful to see that the card is working and just not set up correctly.

Again, Thank you for the help. You've gotten me further on this in 1 day than I have gotten in 3 months.

bbfuller
14th January 2008, 12:19 AM
Hello Flyboy(52I)

The NetworkManager icon should show you all of the wireless networks in your area if it is working properly. However, there are command line equivalents.

From a root command line:

iwconfig

will tell you something about the status of your wireless card. It should at any event tell you which interface number is attached to it. Probably wlan0 but just possibly eth1.

iwlist wlan0 scan

should tell you about wireless networks in your area, but NetworkManager is probably just a frontend to it.

You don't usually create connections in NetworkManager as such although it will save invisibly, configuration options for connections. It's more like the Windows "zero conf" wireless discovery service in that it only displays networks where it finds a signal.

Your output from the first command above will tell us just how far we have got though.

I'll be signing off in 45 minutes or so but I'll be looking out tomorrow.

Don't forget to try the option in the next to last sentence of my previous post if connection fails but you have sensible output to the first command above.

Flyboy(52I)
14th January 2008, 04:01 AM
Good Morning 'BB' (or is it Mr. Fuller?)

Latest Update: Below is the 'iwconfig' result. To me, it looks like nothing is happening. It doesn't find any Access Points and I know I have 3 in my own home.

[root@localhost ~]# iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:""
Mode:Managed Channel:0 Access Point: Not-Associated
Tx-Power=0 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2352 B
Encryption key:off
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

[root@localhost ~]#

I'm going to backtrack a little and try your other method as suggested. Since tomorrow is Monday, I'll only be hitting this forum a couple times this week depending on my work load. Worst case would be Friday night this week before I'll be back. I hope you will stick around until then. Thanks again so far.

Flyboy(52I)
14th January 2008, 04:05 AM
forgot to add the iwlist scan result, so here's that as well:

[root@localhost ~]# iwlist wlan0 scan
wlan0 Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down

[root@localhost ~]#

FB

Flyboy(52I)
14th January 2008, 04:58 AM
:D

BB, You R the King!!

After my last post (30min ago) I went back to trace through the steps one more time. I repeated all the steps and this time they made a little more sense to me. I guess that's why I got through it more quickly this time. But I've very happy to say that right now I am on wireless (typing this forum). I want to thank you one more time for helping me through this. From the reading I've done in the forums, there are many out there having the same problem. So with that, I will compile my notes and post them to this set of posts all in one complete set.

I hope this will also help someone else. :cool:

THANKS AGAIN 'BB'!!

Flyboy(52I)
14th January 2008, 05:44 AM
Ok, as cleaned up as possible

Broadcom b43 (Method 2)

Find this setup at: www.fedoraguide.info/index.php/Fedora8#Broadcom_b43_.28Method_1.29

Step 1.) * Configure NetworkManager to automatically start and start the service.

su -c '/sbin/chkconfig NetworkManager on'
su -c '/sbin/service NetworkManager start'

Step 2.)
************************************************** ********************************
NOTE: I had already downloaded this file to my /home/Joe/Downloads/ folder, so I did not complete this step.
but this should do it all for you if you have not got the file yet.

* Download and extract the firmware
wget http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources/broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0.tar.bz2
tar -jxvf broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0.tar.bz2
************************************************** ********************************

Step 3.) * Cut the firmware
cd broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0/kmod
/usr/bin/b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware wl_apsta.o

NOTE:for my setup, the Broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0.tar.bz2 file downloaded to my /home/Joe/Downloads/ folder, so in terminal the above line read for me:
/usr/bin/b43-fwcutter -w /home/Joe/Downloads/ wl_apsta.o
This produce a flury of great results in the terminal window.

Step 4.) * Add the following line so that it can be configured by system-config-network
su -c 'echo "alias wlan0 b43" >> /etc/modprobe.conf'

Step 5.) * Restart NetworkManager
su -c '/sbin/service NetworkManager restart

Step 6.) *Now open the services module:
On the desktop go to 'system-administration-services' from the command line will do it. It's in different places on the KDE and Gnome menu structures.

Make sure the services NetworkManager and NetworkManagerDispatcher are started and set to run at boot time. Also make sure that wpa_supplicant is set not to run (NetworkManager will call that if it needs it).

The NetworkManager icon (which should be showing up either top right or bottom right tool bar) should show you all of the wireless networks in your area if it is working properly.

So after a ReBoot of the system, open Terminal and go to root. type in iwconfig. results should be like:
[root@localhost ~]# iwconfig

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"HomeServer"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: 00:17:3F:59:AD:20
Bit Rate=54 Mb/s Tx-Power=27 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2352 B
Encryption key:FDC4-3853-6D67-C11D-2491-E902-E5
Link Quality=68/100 Signal level=-41 dBm Noise level=-73 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

[root@localhost ~]#

and to check your radio that it is seeing something, type in "iwlist wlan0 scan". You should see something like:

[root@localhost ~]# iwlist wlan0 scan
wlan0 Scan completed :
Cell 01 - Address: 00:0F:66:CB:37:8F
ESSID:"Bench"
Mode:Master
Channel:2
Frequency:2.417 GHz (Channel 2)
Quality=55/100 Signal level=-30 dBm Noise level=-73 dBm
Encryption key:on
Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s
Extra:tsf=0000001cec07e650
Cell 02 - Address: 00:17:3F:59:AD:20
ESSID:"HomeServer"
Channel:11
Frequency:2.462 GHz (Channel 11)
Quality=65/100 Signal level=-45 dBm Noise level=-73 dBm
Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
Extra:tsf=00000043b05c5abd
Cell 03 - Address: 00:17:3F:55:DC:22
ESSID:"belkin54g"
Channel:11
Frequency:2.462 GHz (Channel 11)
Quality=25/100 Signal level=-85 dBm Noise level=-73 dBm
Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
Extra:tsf=0000064f8d5123ef

[root@localhost ~]#

Hope this helps.

bbfuller
14th January 2008, 09:48 AM
Hello Flyboy(52I)

Nice one, it's great when it all works out so well.

There is one new wrinkle that you may want to be aware of now you have a working connection.

Usually, after getting connected you will do a full system update and there have been some changes to Fedoras network configuration settings in the last couple of days.

If you open:

system-config-network

from a root command prompt you will see a list of network connections. Sometimes, but not always, your wireless connection will be listed there.

I have one card out of four where it's not listed there but it still works.

However, if you highlight the connection and "Edit" it's properties. In that properties box there will now be an option for "Controlled by NetworkManager" which wasn't there previously.

I've seen one report on the forum of a connection that wouldn't work until that was marked though it hasn't made a difference for me. "Activate on boot" should still be left unmarked.

Bernard