PDA

View Full Version : Can Gnome have different backgrounds for each space like KDE?

Omnicloud
19th December 2007, 02:35 PM
Sup fellas....I don't use KDE that much, but one of the features I remember was the ability to have different backgrounds on each section of your cube...

Can I do that in Gnome? Like have a few Desktop Icons only on one section of my cube and not for the other? Just wondering...

I know I did it with wallpapers in KDE and the only thing for Gnome I have that kinda resembles it is a wallpaper switcher application :(

Wayne
19th December 2007, 02:37 PM
Not 'out of the box' Don't know how stable this is:

http://wallpapoz.akbarhome.com/

Edit: D'oh, it's in the repos! I might give it a shot :)

Wayne

JN4OldSchool
19th December 2007, 02:46 PM
Sup fellas....I don't use KDE that much, but one of the features I remember was the ability to have different backgrounds on each section of your cube...

Can I do that in Gnome? Like have a few Desktop Icons only on one section of my cube and not for the other? Just wondering...

I know I did it with wallpapers in KDE and the only thing for Gnome I have that kinda resembles it is a wallpaper switcher application :(

I would also like to know how you did this in conjunction with compiz-fusion? You can have different backgrounds using kwin as the WM but not compiz as the wm. If you could this would give KDE a definite leg up on the other DEs. To the best of my knowledge you can not configure the icons differently on multiple desktops. What is on one desktop is on the others. Please prove me wrong, i dont use KDE, I just spent the last 15 minutes trying to do this in KDE and I have never heard of this being done in KDE. I would love to be wrong on this.

bob
19th December 2007, 03:46 PM
Grabbed the Wallpapoz from yum and played just a bit. Pretty simple really; select your .jpgs and then browse the wallpapoz menu tree and select one for each window. Save and 'ctrl f' to change them. It's all in the 'help' contents.

Wayne
19th December 2007, 03:49 PM
Yeah, I played with it for a few minutes too. Now it's gone and I'm back to one wallpaper, it's all I need :)

Wayne

leigh123linux
19th December 2007, 03:53 PM
The last time I tried Wallpapoz it didn't work properly with compiz :(

JN4OldSchool
19th December 2007, 03:55 PM
can anyone make this work with compiz-fusion on the cube though? I have been doing some reading on this. Apparently Compiz dumped this plugin as it wouldn't work but they claim this can be done in the cube configuration section. But, I apparently have XFCE overriding the draw desktop function. If I let compiz take over I lose my panels and all my quick launch icons etc...And I still don't get different wallpapers on the cube.

Wallpapoz is in yum!!! But since I run Xfce it apparently wont work for me. However, their website claims they can run in conjunction with Fusion. Everyone SAYS they can do this, but I haven't seen any screenshots. I don't know why this bugs me so bad, like Wayne I only WANT one wallpaper anyway, I guess it is the challenge...

Omnicloud
19th December 2007, 03:59 PM
I would also like to know how you did this in conjunction with compiz-fusion? You can have different backgrounds using kwin as the WM but not compiz as the wm. If you could this would give KDE a definite leg up on the other DEs. To the best of my knowledge you can not configure the icons differently on multiple desktops. What is on one desktop is on the others. Please prove me wrong, i dont use KDE, I just spent the last 15 minutes trying to do this in KDE and I have never heard of this being done in KDE. I would love to be wrong on this.Well I hope I'm wrong too but I don't think that you can do it with Compiz-fusion man :(

When I did have different walls in KDE I was only running Compiz, and it worked for me. Comp. fusion is a different thing altogether tho, pluz I use Gnome exclusively as it has always been a bit more stable on my Dell. Hopefully some app fulfills your request soon tho.

I have wallpaperz installed and it works fine (again, I only run basic Compiz) but I didn't know you could assign different walls to different sections of the cube?

I just have it change my background every hour or so...but I'll toy around with the settings when I get home...

it's under "preferences" right Bob?

leigh123linux
19th December 2007, 04:05 PM
can anyone make this work with compiz-fusion on the cube though? I have been doing some reading on this. Apparently Compiz dumped this plugin as it wouldn't work but they claim this can be done in the cube configuration section. But, I apparently have XFCE overriding the draw desktop function. If I let compiz take over I lose my panels and all my quick launch icons etc...And I still don't get different wallpapers on the cube.

Wallpapoz is in yum!!! But since I run Xfce it apparently wont work for me. However, their website claims they can run in conjunction with Fusion. Everyone SAYS they can do this, but I haven't seen any screenshots. I don't know why this bugs me so bad, like Wayne I only WANT one wallpaper anyway, I guess it is the challenge...

Try asking here :cool:

http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/