PDA

View Full Version : copy and paste in Putty

samfraser
18th December 2007, 11:45 AM
I've just started using Putty to ssh to my server instead of using the standard terminal session that comes with fedora 6. I'm using the latest version that I've been able to yum 0.59 however I don't seem to be able to copy and paste as I can in windows i.e. selected text automatically is copied and a right click automatically pastes.

Anyone know if there is any setting that has to be turned on, before I revert back to the standard, not very good, fedora terminal?

bmvbab
18th December 2007, 12:07 PM
did u try the 'select' and 'click middle button' routine? :)

samfraser
19th December 2007, 10:31 AM
did u try the 'select' and 'click middle button' routine? :)

yes, no joy :confused:

bmvbab
19th December 2007, 10:47 AM
heres what i get in windows putty configure screen, maybe fiddling with one of these might help....

fnmblot
19th December 2007, 02:42 PM
Thanks a lot! I never knew that about PuTTY.

sej7278
19th December 2007, 04:34 PM
you're not tellig me there's a putty for linux? how awful, its bad enough on windows.

in regular terminal (gnome-terminal, konsole, xterm etc.) just highlight the selection and press enter to copy or ctrl-shift-c (**not** ctrl-c) and then middle mouse to paste, or ctrl-v.

pete_1967
19th December 2007, 04:39 PM
you're not tellig me there's a putty for linux? how awful, its bad enough on windows.

in regular terminal (gnome-terminal, konsole, xterm etc.) just highlight the selection and press enter to copy or ctrl-shift-c (**not** ctrl-c) and then middle mouse to paste, or ctrl-v.

Why go through extra hoop when all you need is to highlight selection and just shift+insert to paste it?

samfraser
20th December 2007, 12:49 PM
Thanks all for your feedback, I've tampered with the selection options in Putty to no avail.

I've tried out those suggestions on the gnome terminal, i like the last option as this is what I was looking for in Putty.

The reason I like Putty is that you can save many different ssh/terminal/console etc sessions + I like the way it automatically uses different colours for files with a linux terminal.

Guess I'll just have to use a combination of the two!

Thanks all!!

jcramalho
21st December 2011, 05:03 PM
Hi:

In case you want to use PuTTY on Linux you have 2 options:

1. Using PuTTY linux version:
Paste text clicking on the mouse middle button.

Usually Laptops touchpads do not have middle button anymore, so I simulated the middle button, clicking both left and right buttons.

Since Linux Mint distro I'm using had not this middle button simulation activated (The latest version of evdev, version 2.5, changed the default for the middle mouse button emulation code. This change has disabled emulation of the middle mouse button by clicking the left and right mouse buttons) I needed to enable it manually:

Enabling the middle mouse button emulation adding this to xorg.conf snippet:

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "middle button emulation class"
MatchIsPointer "on"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "on"
EndSection

2. Using PuTTY Windows version (on wine):

Copy and Paste works as in windows.

In order to connect to console serial ports, Wine needs to be configured to connect its virtual serial ports devices (COM1, etc) to teh real Linux serial port devices (ttyS0, TTYUSB0, etc).

Since wine handles com ports by having a link to the device (ie /dev/ttyUSB0), in the ~/.wine/dosdevices folder, this link would be created as follows, in order to update your wine profile configs:

ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1

I prefer this second method, since the copy paste works allways, I do not need the middle button simulation (changing Linux distro settings like Xorg parameters) and, the sherry in the top of the cake, it NEVER hangs (occasionally PuTTY for Windows hangs on some winXP installations, LOL).

Otherwise, in case you do not need/want to install wine, the first method is preferable.

I hope it helps someone.

Enjoy.

Joao

Doug G
22nd December 2011, 03:14 AM
Selected text in putty on windows is automatically copied to the clipboard. A Right-click pastes the clipboard. Open putty help and search for 'paste' you'll find the description of copy and paste in putty.