PDA

View Full Version : Pirut keeps on crashing

bas r
17th December 2007, 10:00 PM
Hello,

I'm a n00b, I'm coming from n00buntu, but finally I want to make the plunge and play with the big boys, so Fedora it is.
However I keep stumbling upon 2 problems, one is minor, the other one major.

First, there seems to be much less software available in the repo's, than on the ubuntu repo's. I only selected the Livnia repo. Is that correct or am I missing something here? I already did this: http://www.fedorafaq.org/#installsoftware

My second problem derives from the first, and that is that Pirut keeps on crashing on me whilst trying to install an .rpm. Check www.ijlander.nl/fedora/pirut for my bug log.

Please help me out, I'm very satisfied with this distro, and think it's a keeper!

Bas.

glennzo
17th December 2007, 10:45 PM
Are you also using the ATRpms repo?

JN4OldSchool
17th December 2007, 10:54 PM
Glennzo! You have changed!

You have to be patient with Yum. Provided you dont have anything wrong sometimes the mirrors are just busy. We dont have as many packages as the debian repos but you will find most of the common ones. Of course chances are very good for finding an rpm outside the repos if you have to go that route. I have had to compile very few packages, and those mostly through choice and not lack of an RPM somewhere. I would also suggest trying yumex. "yum install yumex." (without the quotes and period, of course). It is another frontend for yum like pirut is but it gives much better control. Pirut still seems to load very slowly for me, yumex gets quicker and quicker with every new version. It is almost to the point where I can say yumex is as good as synaptic...almost...

edit: Man, that bug report is some heavy duty reading. Yeah, atrpm? Does yum work from the terminal? Can you do a "yum clean all?"

glennzo
17th December 2007, 10:59 PM
Glennzo! You have changed! Nope. I'm still wearing the same stuff I put on this morning :D

The bottom of his dump mentioned atrpms. Thought that might be a clue. <Insert picture of magnifying glass here>

JN4OldSchool
17th December 2007, 11:06 PM
Nope. I'm still wearing the same stuff I put on this morning :D

The bottom of his dump mentioned atrpms. Thought that might be a clue. <Insert picture of magnifying glass here>

Yeah, I saw that too. I was asking him about that, not you. Maybe try disabling that repo if he indeed has it? Also, I wonder what kind of yum plugins he got going in that birdsnest?

edit:

We gotta find another paw print, that's the second clue
We put it in our notebook
Cause they're whose clues? Blue's Clues!

glennzo
17th December 2007, 11:15 PM
I knew who you were asking.

Blues Clues? You must have little J4N's running around....

Yes, yum --disablerepo=atrpms install wickedcoolproggy. But why am I telling you? Bas r, try this if you are using the atrpms repo.

bas r
18th December 2007, 09:23 AM
Thanks so much for the quick responses!
Right now I've just arrived in work, (Europe), so I can't check which repo's I've selected, the only thing I can remember is that I installed the Livnia repository, but I willl check that when I get home this evening (in 10 hours time that is).
All the other hints I will check/do.

I'll be back! (Hate that quote)

bas r
19th December 2007, 06:00 PM
Allright girls, finally made it back home, it's a bloody hectic time now with the end of the year coming and stuff.

Anywys, I've checked, and I haven't got the atrpms repo enabled: what I did is basically this:
- I did a fresh install,
- tried to install some proggy's,
- then Yum complained that it couldn't find anything,
- I googled to find out what repo I had to add
- then I enabled the Livnia repo,
- and that did the trick for most stuff, but some proggie's I couldn't find, (namely gpar2)
- so I tried installing with the rpm's, and as you can see, that was a big cock-up.

So has anyone got any idea what is wrong with my Pirut?
Installing stuff through the terminal does work (yum install another_amazing_gtk_proggie does work), only rpm's don't...

/edit
Installing an rpm from the terminal gives me this error:
[root@helios-desktop Desktop]# rpm -iv gpar2-0.3-2.i386.rpm
Preparing packages for installation...
gpar2-0.3-2
postinst called with unknown argument `1'
error: %post(gpar2-0.3-2.i386) scriptlet failed, exit status 1