PDA

View Full Version : Network Manager and mulltiple devices.

metalworm
17th December 2007, 03:22 PM
Hi, I am using Fedora 8 in my laptop.

My laptop has wireless card intell 2200BG. :)

My F8 is up-to-dated. It got the lastest Network Manager update of F8. (7.0)

I wonder why the line "create a new wireless network" is dim, cannot choose in my NM. wpa_supplicant is also runned. Why????

Another question is I see they say that we can use NM with multiple devices. But how? I choose wire network, wireless disable and vice versa.

Can any one help?

Thanks.

hellork
17th December 2007, 06:59 PM
You need drivers for your
lspci -v | grep -i wireless

or use windows drivers with ndiswrapper from http://rpm.livna.org

metalworm
18th December 2007, 12:54 AM
What do u mean driver? I can connect to other wireless network normally or connect to wired network.

I just got 2 above problems in the features they said about Network Manager. I cannot find it.

Iron_Mike
18th December 2007, 01:38 AM
What do u mean driver? I can connect to other wireless network normally or connect to wired network.

I just got 2 above problems in the features they said about Network Manager. I cannot find it.

You don't need drivers, F8 fully supports the ipw series of mini pci card. A couple things to check, goto system ->administration ->services and enable the two NM services, next disable the wpa_supplicant service if it is enable and reboot the computer. When you plug an ethernet cable in it will connect and show the connection icon, when you unplug the ethernet it will go into wireless scan mode for a few seconds. Now when you left click the icon it shows AP's that happen to have the SSID broadcast feature enabled, if you know a AP that doesn't broadcast the SSID, you can us the "connect to other wireless network" and fill in the blanks.....

metalworm
18th December 2007, 12:18 PM
Hi, could u tell me why do we need to disable wpa_supplicant??? Defaut it is running and I use NM normally.

I just wonder how can we use multiple network devices like they said (for internet sharing, etc...) using NM and how to create a Ad-Hoc network using NM.

Thank you.

hellork
18th December 2007, 03:29 PM
wpa_supplicant and network devices are started when needed. It's all automatic now. You don't need to have wpa_supplicant or even your network interfaces start at boot, unless you mess up the configuration by following old guides. See documentation on network manager applet.

Iron_Mike
18th December 2007, 03:31 PM
Hi, could u tell me why do we need to disable wpa_supplicant??? Defaut it is running and I use NM normally.

I just wonder how can we use multiple network devices like they said (for internet sharing, etc...) using NM and how to create a Ad-Hoc network using NM.

Thank you.

The NetworkManager will use start/stop wpa_supplicant as it sees fit....