PDA

View Full Version : lvm tools in rescue mode not available

mrechte
16th December 2007, 12:23 PM
Hello,

When one has got a major problem with lvm and the system cannot boot and the rescue mode on CD is not able to mount any of the LV, the next step would be to use the vg* lv* commands to investigate. The problem is that no such command is there on the rescue system.

Have I missed something ?

Many thanks

erikpkn
16th December 2007, 12:53 PM
I don't know about the Rescue CD, but you can use the Live CD. All the tools are there, and you can use yum to install what's missing.

Erik.

glennzo
16th December 2007, 12:55 PM
mrechte, I've never dealt with LVM partitions in rescue mode but the tools should be there by default if I'm not mistaken. I'm not sure if this is relevant but did you cd /mnt/sysimage before you tried the commands?

mrechte
16th December 2007, 05:27 PM
Glennzo, that is the point, whenever you have a problem with the LVM the /mnt/sysimage is not existant and I did not find any LVM related commands elsewhere.

Erikpkn, the rescue CD is just the install disk (or DVD) which allow you to boot in rescue mode instead of installing. This is the basic diagnostic tool provided by Red Hat, it contains a workable kernel, commands like fdisk, etc.

Thanks

glennzo
16th December 2007, 06:51 PM
OK, point well taken. As I said, I haven't dealt wit LVM so I'll chalk this up as lesson 1. I just finished installing Fedora 8 on an older spare machine and allowed the installer to create LVM, the point of which would be for me to play around with this and learn something. If I break it then I install again. No big deal.

Seve
16th December 2007, 07:12 PM
Hello,

When one has got a major problem with lvm and the system cannot boot and the rescue mode on CD is not able to mount any of the LV, the next step would be to use the vg* lv* commands to investigate. The problem is that no such command is there on the rescue system.

Have I missed something ?

Many thanks
Hello:
I don't use LVM, but I think from the rescue mode you need to type lvm -- then the command [for example]

lvm lvscan

etc. to invoke the LVM tools

Seve

mrechte
16th December 2007, 11:27 PM
Thanks.

I tried "lvm": it just produces nothing (back to the shell prompt). Is that a bug ?

Seve
16th December 2007, 11:32 PM
Hello:
I'm only going from memory here, so I could be way off :)

When you boot into linux rescue and it is at the point of prompting you to look for installations, select skip and it will throw you to a prompt #
at that point, type
lvm lvscan
and see what if anything happens.

I'm sure that SlowJet, if he is around would know for sure.

Seve