PDA

View Full Version : First Boot Problem

WandJ10
13th December 2007, 06:59 AM
Hey everyone, first time post! I was having some issues with Ubuntu so I switched over to FC8. I am just having a problem at the intial boot. In the GNOME screen where I would make my user account, when I pressed the next buttom after entering the time, the system locks up and will not proceed. I tried booting up with some of the services off but to no avail. If i turn off firstboot then the system loads and it requires a name and password ( which i dont have!) :confused: . Here are my specs:

HP Pavillion dv6000
AMD 2.2 Turion 64 X2
2.0 Gig RAM
nVidia Gefore Go 7200

Anything is appreaciated! I really want this OS to work! :D

drunkahol
13th December 2007, 09:54 AM
You could always log in as root using the password you gave root when you performed the install.

Then choose "Users and Groups" from (I think) the System->Administration menu at the top. That'll let you create your new user for normal running.

"All" that firstboot does is to carry out some "obvious" configuration tasks that you can do as root anyway. Can't help as to why firstboot is hanging though.

My only gripe about firstboot is that users get created with their own personal group. I don't want that. I want all my users in the "users" group.

Cheers

Duncan

WandJ10
13th December 2007, 06:19 PM
Ok thanks a lot! i will try this, and if it does work will it register that i got through firstboot? so i wont have to go to interactive startup each time.