PDA

View Full Version : fluxbox/gnome/fedora 8 issue

szandor
12th December 2007, 05:57 AM
i installed fc8 on my m1210 laptop and was using gnome while making sure wireless, sound, keys, video, etc was working. after installing fluxbox things were ok. after a couple shutdown/startups, xmodmap no longer works, the background keeps randomly reverting back to a gnome background, soundcard randomly stops working, etc. everything runs fine and dandy when i was just in gnome. i just don't like the interface. if i wanted icons, task bars, etc, i'd stick with windows. i've never had this problem before with fluxbox/gnome on laptops or desktops. i've never really liked gnome, but, now i find it quite rude. any tips or suggestions before i go mad? with every update minor things keep changing and i have to make minor edits to get things working correctly with fluxbox. this is why i quit using enlightenment. all i want is a background image and to be able to click on the desktop if i need to open a program/make a change. that's it. why is that so complicated? maybe i should go back to enlightenment or try out something else blackbox-ish.

forkbomb
12th December 2007, 06:19 AM
i installed fc8 on my m1210 laptop and was using gnome while making sure wireless, sound, keys, video, etc was working. after installing fluxbox things were ok. after a couple shutdown/startups, xmodmap no longer works, the background keeps randomly reverting back to a gnome background, soundcard randomly stops working, etc. everything runs fine and dandy when i was just in gnome. i just don't like the interface. if i wanted icons, task bars, etc, i'd stick with windows. i've never had this problem before with fluxbox/gnome on laptops or desktops. i've never really liked gnome, but, now i find it quite rude. any tips or suggestions before i go mad? with every update minor things keep changing and i have to make minor edits to get things working correctly with fluxbox. this is why i quit using enlightenment. all i want is a background image and to be able to click on the desktop if i need to open a program/make a change. that's it. why is that so complicated? maybe i should go back to enlightenment or try out something else blackbox-ish.

I've had the same ridiculous problems on F8 x86_64, but with KDE apps in Fluxbox. K apps constantly crashed, the sound server stopped, apps wouldn't even launch sometimes, and the background issue you describe.

Fedora 7, here I come again. Installed it this morning and worked all day to get it running the way I want, and I'm much happier. Fedora 8 is 0/2 on my boxes.

Sorry I can't help, but I'm posting to mention that you're not alone in this problem.

szandor
12th December 2007, 06:25 AM
I've had the same ridiculous problems on F8 x86_64, but with KDE apps in Fluxbox. K apps constantly crashed, the sound server stopped, apps wouldn't even launch sometimes, and the background issue you describe.

Fedora 7, here I come again. Installed it this morning and worked all day to get it running the way I want, and I'm much happier.

Sorry I can't help, but I'm posting to mention that you're not alone in this problem.

thanks. needed that. i hate it when fluxbox makes me feel like a newb each time i install the mofo. i really wish i liked gnome. my life would be a lot easier. i have to say, though, (if i was just using gnome) everything in fc8 worked great after updating to 2.6.23.8-63 on this laptop.

forkbomb
12th December 2007, 06:32 AM
thanks. needed that. i hate it when fluxbox makes me feel like a newb each time i install the mofo. i really wish i liked gnome. my life would be a lot easier. i have to say, though, (if i was just using gnome) everything in fc8 worked great after updating to 2.6.23.8-63 on this laptop.
From what I remember, it was the opposite for me. Things were fine before the kernel upgrade. And then Fluxbox got angered with the new kernel, I guess.

scottro
12th December 2007, 12:54 PM
I haven't had major trouble with fluxbox on F8. However, when you say xmodmap stopped working--I have noticed that my mod4 key stopped working, even if typing xmodmap showed that it was properly mapped. I got around it by making an .xmodmaprc

keycode 115 = Super_L
add Mod4 = Super_L

For awhile, it was sporadic, so I just put in another keyboard shortcut using Control and Mod1 to run the command xmodmap ~/.xmodmaprc. Then it became pretty constant, so I just put that in my .xinitrc.

The other thing that I've seen (possibly in Fedora's known bugs) is that if you aren't using Gnome, because of some things tied in with it, e.g., ConsoleKit, various other things break. So, I'm sure you folks aren't alone, I've just been lucky so far, perhaps.

However, I haven't had major issues, save for sound, and IIRC, I was having that with Gnome as well.

szandor
12th December 2007, 01:02 PM
I haven't had major trouble with fluxbox on F8. However, when you say xmodmap stopped working--I have noticed that my mod4 key stopped working, even if typing xmodmap showed that it was properly mapped. I got around it by making an .xmodmaprc

keycode 115 = Super_L
add Mod4 = Super_L

For awhile, it was sporadic, so I just put in another keyboard shortcut using Control and Mod1 to run the command xmodmap ~/.xmodmaprc. Then it became pretty constant, so I just put that in my .xinitrc.

The other thing that I've seen (possibly in Fedora's known bugs) is that if you aren't using Gnome, because of some things tied in with it, e.g., ConsoleKit, various other things break. So, I'm sure you folks aren't alone, I've just been lucky so far, perhaps.

However, I haven't had major issues, save for sound, and IIRC, I was having that with Gnome as well.

i've been looking around and i see references for setting up .fluxbox/keys after creating a .Xmodmap file. not sure why but it makes sense as gnome may have been controlling my XF86 keys for .Xmodmap. so once i reboot and use fluxbox solely, it may have caused .Xmodmap to quit working until i run gnome apps. i had to remove pulseaudio to get sound working but now, when i try and run a mixer, i.e. amixer, from .fluxbox/keys, i get a pulseaudio error. that's the as far as i've gotten a chance to work with it. i'm sure i'll get it sorted out eventually.