PDA

View Full Version : acroread 8

BoyWonder410
10th December 2007, 11:11 AM
I've always used adobe's acroread to view pdf's inside firefox because, in general, it's copy-paste works the best. Evince (and other pdf viewers) have, historically, been more difficult to use (for me).

I'm confronting two problems with acroread 8 that have not been issues in the past,

First, the resource use of Adobe's Acroread 8 has been astronomical, at times over half a gig (according to gnome-system-monitor) for 3 pdf's open within firefox...

Second, the "find" function in Acroread does not work for any pdf's, at all. There are two separate find boxes (one at the top, and one that opens as a sidebar) and the text box that one would use to enter text is non-functional (attempts to type in the boxes fail) This is a pretty important feature for me...

I've considered uninstalling adobe 8 and reverting to an older version, and i've also considered switching to a FOSS solution.....

A few questions for anyone who is still reading this post..
1. Anyone experiencing the same problems?
2. do you think SE linux could be to blame for the failure of the Find function? in the past, SE linux prevented acroread from working.... i dont know
3. what pdf viewer do you use for firefox?
4. what is the easiest way to switch the default viewer?

glennzo
10th December 2007, 01:26 PM
1. I noticed yesterday that the find feature wouldn't work for me either. Shrugged it off as I was not interested in dealing with it at that point.
2. I have disabled SELinux on this machine.
3. Acroread 8
4. After all the time I've spent with Linux I should know this answer. Unfortunately, I don't.

For Firefox, edit > preferences > content button > file types section > manage button. Select PDF and click change action.

kldixon
10th December 2007, 04:38 PM
I have always considered the plugin a security risk and so download any pdfs and use the ordinary reader. I have always found that the open source readers eventually fail on something I want to read. That is hardly surprising as most pdfs will be created on a M$ system.

If you want to investigate whether firefox is generating any errors then copy /usr/bin/firefox to your home directory, as firefox-out say, then edit the copy so you get something like:-

$ diff -C3 /usr/bin/firefox firefox-out
*** /usr/bin/firefox 2007-11-29 03:43:46.000000000 +0000
--- firefox-out 2007-12-10 15:30:44.000000000 +0000
*** 174,180 ****
# if there's no command line argument and there's not a running
# instance then just fire up a new copy of the browser
if [ -z "$1" ]; then
! exec $MOZ_PROGRAM $MOZARGS 2>/dev/null >/dev/null
fi

unset RETURN_VAL
--- 174,180 ----
# if there's no command line argument and there's not a running
# instance then just fire up a new copy of the browser
if [ -z "$1" ]; then
! exec $MOZ_PROGRAM $MOZARGS
fi

unset RETURN_VAL

then run it from a terminal with ./firefox-out. Any output will then appear in the terminal. This is how I found the selinux issues in previous versions of acrobat.

BoyWonder410
10th December 2007, 10:50 PM
I have always considered the plugin a security risk and so download any pdfs and use the ordinary reader. I have always found that the open source readers eventually fail on something I want to read. That is hardly surprising as most pdfs will be created on a M$ system.

I wish this were practical for me... i have to read countless (ok, so i could count, but wouldn't want to) pdf's for work, school, and et cetera.

maybe i'll revert to 7.x

when i get a free second i'll follow the instructions you provide and post any errors/output i find.

Dies
11th December 2007, 01:42 AM
Well I guess it only serves to say :p

But it "just works" here...

If there's anything I can check that would help, let me know and I'll post it but since I didn't have to do anything other than install it. :confused:

orsula
11th December 2007, 08:27 PM
I also have the same problems using 'search' but with an additional annoying bug:

The pageup/pagedown keys don't work inside Firefox!! If I open the file separately with Acroread8, the search function and Up/Down keys work. No idea what to do yet but just joined the crowd on this bug. I'm using F8 with Firefox 2.0.0.10.

I actually vote for evince myself but since there's no plugin yet and printing is less hit/miss - I revert to Adobe at times of need.. :rolleyes:

Anyone else has this page Up/Down issue?

BoyWonder410
12th December 2007, 06:35 PM
I had never attempted to use the page up / page down keys in acrobat, but upon testing I find that they are not functional inside firefox. I have not attempted to use them in the stand alone acrobat viewer.

I have followed the instructions for getting output from firefox, here are the results:
1. When attempting to search a pdf using the box at the top of the screen (the quick search box) there is no output to the terminal.

2. When attempting to use the "advanced search" option in the toolbar on the right side of the screen i get the following error:

(acroread:3511): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_widget_size_allocate(): attempt to allocate widget with width -5 and height 17

3. when i close the tab that holds the PDF the following error messages are displayed over and over again,
(acroread:3511): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid uninstantiatable type `(null)' in cast to `GObject'

(acroread:3511): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: instance of invalid non-instantiatable type `(null)'

(acroread:3511): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_handlers_disconnect_matched: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(acroread:3511): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid uninstantiatable type `(null)' in cast to `GObject'

(acroread:3511): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: instance of invalid non-instantiatable type `(null)'

(acroread:3511): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_handlers_disconnect_matched: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(acroread:3511): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_destroy: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

kldixon
12th December 2007, 07:28 PM
I think you will just have to report it to adobe. It is outside my sphere of competence but i don't think there is anything there one can work around.

BoyWonder410
4th March 2008, 12:31 PM
BUMP ----
anyone know anything regarding this issue?
Fresh install of fc8 and acrobat 8, updated and everything, and the issue remains.

sej7278
4th March 2008, 01:55 PM
i've had lots of problems with the 8.1.2 from the repository, strangely enough the 8.1.1 rpm from their website worked fine on f7 32-bit, neither seems to work well on 64-bit, i.e you can only view page 1 of a pdf, or the encryption doesn't work etc.

i never use the plugin, in fact it really annoys me to load a pdf inside a browser.

orsula
4th March 2008, 02:01 PM
Actually, I have had the problem and lately tried Epiphany.....works like a charm there. No problems what so ever on F8-32bit with adobe 8.1.2 with paging up and down. Search works in the normal mode, not the advnaced mode.