PDA

View Full Version : Display turns off.. ! xorg stops to work??

karlpiuemeno
3rd December 2007, 02:53 PM
I don't know what's happening.... while I surf the web, my display goes in energy saving mode............

I've an ATI X1050.... and I'm using the radeon drivers.......

this is my xorg.conf:

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "single head configuration"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "it"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "radeon"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

after I restart X ( ctrl+alt+back ) the display turns on!..........

It happens always when I surf the web.... flash plugin crashing xorg?

help!!! :D

karlpiuemeno
3rd December 2007, 03:12 PM
now without firefox.......

what's happening?? :(

leigh123linux
3rd December 2007, 03:25 PM
Try adding this section to xorg.conf

su
gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "blank time" "0"
Option "standby time" "0"
Option "suspend time" "0"
Option "off time" "0"
EndSection

karlpiuemeno
3rd December 2007, 03:44 PM
Ok I try..... tnx......

karlpiuemeno
3rd December 2007, 04:08 PM
WOW... I'm playing with the xorg.conf... and I found that:

Option "AGPFastWrite" "yes"

make my display hang at startup... the same problem that I have with fglrx.......

I must try to disable this feature in the bios, and passing NO in xorg.conf........ :D

karlpiuemeno
3rd December 2007, 04:11 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOW I DOUBLED GLXGEARS FPS :o.....

before hack: 2218 fps
now: 3720

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "radeon"
Option "AGPMode" "8"
Option "AGPFastWrite" "no"
Option "EnablePageFlip" "on"
Option "RenderAccel" "on"
Option "AccelMethod" "XXA"
Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps"
Option "DynamicClocks" "on"
Option "ColorTiling" "on"

EndSection

:D let's continue in hacking the xorg :D

karlpiuemeno
3rd December 2007, 05:13 PM
This is my final xorg.conf:

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "single head configuration"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "blank time" "0"
Option "standby time" "0"
Option "suspend time" "0"
Option "off time" "0"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbLayout" "it"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "radeon"
Option "AGPMode" "8"

EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

is it ok? :D

FriedChips
3rd December 2007, 05:25 PM
Has your display cutoff been fixed by the changes suggested by leigh? Also if you can get the fglrx drivers working you could multiply that frame rate by like 15 or something :D

karlpiuemeno
3rd December 2007, 08:19 PM
the leigh fix seems to work... :D for now :D

karlpiuemeno
4th December 2007, 09:25 AM
Noooooooo the leigh fix doesn't work :(
this morning my display turned off................. :(

same issue..........

what can I do? :'(

Hardware problem?? :( :( :( :( :(

today adobe released a new flash plugin, and yesterday fedora released new kernel and stuff...

I've freshly installed fedora three years ago, but I used for a day the (ultra-buggy) 8.43.711 fglrx driver by livna testing.......

before the fresh install, X11 worked very well.. (but fglrx always ****ty) ....

This issue is very annoying... I can't know when my display goes black........... it's worst than a kernel panic! I lose everything :(

karlpiuemeno
4th December 2007, 10:09 AM
........ let's do a clean fedora install..........

if the system continues to hang.......... it's an hardware failure............. I need to know it now, because I'm going to upgrade some parts this christmas..........

I hope it's only a corrupted system file....... :(

karlpiuemeno
4th December 2007, 05:34 PM
I REINSTALLED FEDORA, Downloading the DVD, checked for errors.... none.

SAME ISSUE...... my display black....... but this time I found a trick: ctrl+alt+f2 and after ctrl+alt+f7........ so I can continue to use my desktop without losing my work..........

but what hell is happaening? I tried to understand if is my vga... display... or fedora........ :confused:

I attached my messages and xorg log..........

please help me...

The last fedora install, I had the problem also before my "optimization" in xorg.... so I think they're not the problem....... :(

# Xorg configuration created by pyxf86config

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbLayout" "it"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "radeon"
Option "AGPMode" "8"

EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

bharat211
11th December 2007, 12:28 PM
I've got the same problem as OP. I'm using F8 with ATI Radeon 5700 with default drivers that came with F8 install. This problem didn't start happening to me until last week. Everything was well with my machine before that time.

Here is my xorg.conf:

# Xorg configuration created by pyxf86config

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbLayout" "us+inet"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "radeon"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

karlpiuemeno
11th December 2007, 12:37 PM
I've got the same problem as OP. I'm using F8 with ATI Radeon 5700 with default drivers that came with F8 install. This problem didn't start happening to me until last week. Everything was well with my machine before that time.

I'm sure it isn't an hardware problem. In this days I used windows, and that's all ok...

Now I've reinstalled fedora... and all updates (I noticed that it upgraded the ati open source drivers)

So the problem should be in the updates....

I analized the logs... there aren't crashes.... just xorg stops to work...... without any trace.......

bharat211
11th December 2007, 09:13 PM
I'm sure it isn't an hardware problem. In this days I used windows, and that's all ok...

Now I've reinstalled fedora... and all updates (I noticed that it upgraded the ati open source drivers)

So the problem should be in the updates....

I analized the logs... there aren't crashes.... just xorg stops to work...... without any trace.......

I found the similar thing as well. When my screen went blank recently, I logged into my machine using another machine on my local network and looked for anything weird that was currently running but couldn't find anything. I couldn't find my error messages either.

xszymonx
11th December 2007, 09:35 PM
so in the end you have no idea how to fix this problem ? well i got the same problem here with radeon x600pro tryed to change xorg.conf too..

karlpiuemeno
11th December 2007, 10:35 PM
The only things I know:

-NOT an hardware failure
-THIS HAPPENS AFTER the os is "ready to use" (upgrades + codecs, flash, etc)

It should be a flash problem... recently adobe updated it.... And all my "black" crashes, appened with firefox open.... and today the web is full of flash stuff....

xszymonx
11th December 2007, 10:39 PM
well i've installed NOSCRIPT plugin for firefox so you can choose wheter and which scripts you want to launch... try
but it's not a solution since i have to launch flash plugins :P
how come just few people have this problem ? ! shouldnt they upload some bugfixesif its flash ?

karlpiuemeno
11th December 2007, 11:19 PM
well i've installed NOSCRIPT plugin for firefox so you can choose wheter and which scripts you want to launch... try
but it's not a solution since i have to launch flash plugins :P
how come just few people have this problem ? ! shouldnt they upload some bugfixesif its flash ?

I don't know why we are so few... have you got an ati card?

karlpiuemeno
12th December 2007, 12:28 AM
I'm sure... THE PROBLEM IS CONNECTED TO FIREFOX. Today (I reinstalled today fedora) all was ok... I viewed tv (tvtime) listened to music...played around with the system... all ok......

but now, I was reading this article:
http://www.ansa.it/opencms/export/site/visualizza_fdg.html_40230251.html

So I clicked in one photo attached to the article and the display turned off.......

I'm 100 % sure that the problem is in firefox/stuff connected to it

-flash?
-firefox 2.0.0.10 buggy? maybe a downgrade should work!
-ati card driver?

HELP :D

karlpiuemeno
12th December 2007, 01:24 AM
I found in the "testing" (rawhide) updates repository an updated ati driver.... I hope that fixes the problem.... I'll let you know...

xszymonx
12th December 2007, 04:42 PM
@karlpiuemeno
ati radeon x600pro

it could be connected with flash but i'm not sure
i just deleted npspluginwrapper up to now no more black screens BUT i deleted it some minutes ago so i'm not sure.. AND the black screen appears when watching movies too ...
i'm gone let you know but removing that tool fixed my firefox flash problem on myspace etc...

solong,

JEO
12th December 2007, 06:50 PM
I am also seeing this problem, monitor goes into standby mode. I have an ATI Radeon 9200 and am using the radeon driver. It has happened twice so far on different days both when trying to open a new window in firefox. Workaround is to use Cntl-Alt-F1 which brings back the text mode video, then Alt-F7 to bring back gnome video.

karlpiuemeno
12th December 2007, 11:03 PM
The updated package (xorg-x11-drv-ati 6.7.196-4) that I found in the rawhide repository seems to work :D
Today no problems.... I'll let you know if the bug turns back :D

karlpiuemeno
13th December 2007, 11:43 PM
My display continues to work :D So...who has this problem...just install the new package!

xszymonx
16th December 2007, 01:16 PM
just installed it. hope it'll work :)

sedg415
26th March 2008, 06:51 PM
I just began having a similar problem a few days ago. I have a 32MB ATI Radeon 7500 (Thinkpad T42) and have been using the default settings from Fedora 8 for several months with no problem. A couple of days ago I began having a problem where my laptop screen goes blank. The backlight shuts off too and does not come back on. ctrl-alt-F1 to terminal does not help. Changing power management settings also has not helped. The problems began after a system update, so I immediately suspected this might be the problem. xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.3.0.0-42 was updated to -44 and xorg-x11-drv-amd was updated to -2.7.7.7-2. I rolled xorg-x11-server-Xorg back and removed xorg-x22-drv-amd. For the rest of the evening I had no problems. The next day when I attempted to run the laptop on battery power, I began having difficulties again. The following additional packages were also updated:
krb5-workstation
krb5-libs
audit
audit-libs-python
audit-libs
eject
libsmbclient
ustr
libnl

I'm pretty sure this is not a hardware problem because I dual-boot this machine every day (Windows XP SP2) and have seen no problems in Windows. I will try upgrading the radeon driver to the rawhide version, but I'm a little wary. Why did this problem suddenly appear after smooth operation for such a long time?

sedg415
26th March 2008, 08:05 PM
OK, I tried to install xorg-x11-drv-ati 6.7.196-4 and had no luck, since it also required an update of xorg-x11-server-Xorg and I wasn't going to go there.

I reinstalled xorg-x11-drv-amd and re-upgraded xorg-x11-server-Xorg. Right now, my display seems to be working OK with battery and with AC power. I don't know what changed.

sedg415
1st April 2008, 05:00 PM
My screen is blanking again. It has also started doing it in Windows. Windows logs record that BSOD errors from the ATI driver accompany the screen failure. After noticing that the failures seem to happen in groups, and that they are occurring more frequently after transporting or moving my laptop, I have reached the conclusion that the motherboard may be damaged in some way. The fact that this is happening in two separate operating systems suggests that in my case, at least, this is not a software problem.