PDA

View Full Version : Installing VMWare Tools on Fedora 8

jmacdonagh
1st December 2007, 01:50 AM
Hi all,

I'm new to Fedora, and I've decided to take the plunge by installing it in a virtual machine under VMWare Fusion.

The tar installation method has worked great on CentOS 5 and openSUSE, but I can't quite get it right on Fedora 8.

I've installed the necessary development tools (gcc, gcc-c++), as well as the kernel headers (kernel-devel), and the config script actually runs correctly. It tries to find matching kernel modules, fails, and decides to build its own. The files get built correctly, and all of the VMWare guest services start fine.

However, there is 3 problems that ruin it.

1. I lose my virtual network connection. ifconfig only shows the loopback device. I assume this is happening because we're trying to use the vmxnet module instead of the default pcnet32 module.

2. Auto-resize of X session doesn't work. On the other distro's I've tried, resizing the VMWare window auto resizes the X session to match it. This doesn't happen in Fedora 8. The resolution does get set to whatever I choose in the initial configuration, but no auto resizing.

3. Copy & paste between host and guest does not work. Not too big of a deal, but would be nice.

Has anyone been able to successfully install VMWare Tools on Fedora 8? It appears to be version 7.6.2 5 build 62573.

pugwash
1st December 2007, 02:06 AM
At the office, where I'm not right now, I've installed F8 on a vmware PC, its an old version of vmware though maybe 5? I installed from a downloaded iso image and it worked just fine. Your problems 1 & 2 didn't happen. Your problem 3 has been a pain for a long time, but I cann't C&P between any OS and the host. F8 (and 7) either have vmtools built in or don't need them.

jmacdonagh
1st December 2007, 08:40 PM
At the office, where I'm not right now, I've installed F8 on a vmware PC, its an old version of vmware though maybe 5? I installed from a downloaded iso image and it worked just fine. Your problems 1 & 2 didn't happen. Your problem 3 has been a pain for a long time, but I cann't C&P between any OS and the host. F8 (and 7) either have vmtools built in or don't need them.

Yeah, actually F8 was the first distro I've tried that automatically used the vmmouse driver, giving me a great virtual mouse experience from the get go. If you say C&P have never really worked, I'll forget that issue.

I guess the only real issue is the VGA drivers and the auto-resolution change. I'll play around a little more, but if you have some free time at the office, do you think you could give me your xorg.conf file, as well as which driver is being used for the ethernet connection? That would help me get this up and running.

Thanks!

Rod Blackwood
3rd December 2007, 11:24 AM
I have a different problem with VMware tools in Fedora 8, and I hope that someone can offer some help with it.

I installed Fedora 8 from the live CD as a guest under VMware workstation 5.0.

I installed VMWare tools using the RPM, then ran the vmware tools setup script "vmware-config-tools.pl"

It asked for the location of my core include files, expecting them to be in "/usr/src/linux/include", but not finding anything there.

I installed the kernel-devel package and ran "vmware-config-tools.pl" again, telling it that the include files are in "/usr/src/kernels/2.6.23.1-49.fc8-i686/include"

It now says "The directory of kernel headers (version @@VMWARE@@ UTS_RELEASE) does not match your running kernel (version 2.6.23.1-49.fc8). Even if the module were to compile successfully, it would not load into the running kernel."

All suggestions as to how to get round this gratefully received!

thegodfaza
9th December 2007, 11:58 PM
I am also having a similar problem. I am virtualizing Fedora 8 from VMWare Fusion on OS X Leopard. When I tried to install VMWare Tools this is what I got:

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include] /usr/src/kernels/2.6.24-0.79.rc4.git5.fc9-i686/include

The directory of kernel headers (version 2.6.24-0.79.rc4.git5.fc9) does not
match your running kernel (version 2.6.23.1-42.fc8). Even if the module were
to compile successfully, it would not load into the running kernel.

kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

mtsprout
10th December 2007, 04:51 PM
godfaza: For the VMWare tools to compile correctly, your kernel headers must match the running kernel. Install the kernel-devel package to get the correct headers:
yum -y install kernel-devel
Either that, or use the kernel compiled out of /usr/src/kernels/2.6.24-0.79.rc4.git5.fc9-i686.

Rod Blackwood: Does your arch match your running kernel? You're compiling from the fc8-i686 directory. Does uname -p return i686? That may make the difference.

I haven't been able to get the vmxnet driver to compile, but there are some instructions here (http://www.thoughtpolice.co.uk/vmware/howto/fedora-7-vmware-tools-install.html) that may work. I haven't tried it, so I couldn't vouch for its usefulness.

And, I'm going from memory here, but I don't believe that Copy & Paste is supported between Linux guests and other hosts. If I remember right, it only works for Windows guests and Windows hosts. Also, from memory, I believe that for the dynamic window-fitting to work correctly, X.org has to be version 6.

The HGFS driver compiled right out of the box, though. For me, getting the mouse to work and the HGFS module are the two biggies.

This is all with Workstation 5.5.5 build 56455.

thegodfaza
11th December 2007, 01:17 AM
I did use yum install kernel-devel. That is the version that downloaded.

Rod Blackwood
11th December 2007, 11:36 AM
Rod Blackwood: Does your arch match your running kernel? You're compiling from the fc8-i686 directory. Does uname -p return i686? That may make the difference.

My uname -p returns "i686", but I think I have a discrepancy in the kernel-devel version.

uname -r
2.6.23.8-63.fc8

rpm -q kernel-devel
kernel-devel-2.6.23.1-49.fc8
kernel-devel-2.6.23.8-63.fc8

ls -l /usr/src/kernels
2.6.23.1-49.fc8-debug-i686
2.6.23.1-49.fc8debug-i686
2.6.23.1-49.fc8-i586
2.6.23.1-49.fc8-i686
2.6.23.8-63.fc8-debug-i686
2.6.23.8-63.fc8debug-i686
2.6.23.8-63.fc8-i586

I think the
uname -r
2.6.23.8-63.fc8
explains why building the tools using headers from
/usr/src/kernels/2.6.23.1-49.fc8-i686
didn't work.

I think I should be trying to build the vmware tools using sources from
/usr/src/kernels/2.6.23.8-63.fc8-i686
so I'm off to try
yum -y upgrade kernel kernel-devel
to try to get a source directory and uname -r to match.

I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm trying to install the tools to see if they'll let Fedora access a vmware shared folder and/or a USB stick, so if anyone knows if that might work, please say.

(I'm also a bit fed up with vmware whinging about the tools not being installed, but I can live with that ;-)

Apart from that, Fedora 8 works fine as a guest under vmware workstation 5 and Windows XP SP2 without the tools installed. The mouse and networking work; the display allows me to select a range of resolutions and resizes the vmware window accordingly (which didn't happen with Fedora 4). Copy and paste between guest and host would be useful but I'm not that bothered about it.

Rod Blackwood
11th December 2007, 01:47 PM
Still stuck.

didn't do anything.

I used the package manager to install the package "kernel-devel - 2.6.23.8-63.fc8-i686" but was told that "kernel-devel - 2.6.23.1-49.fc8-i686" was already installed!
I used the package manager to remove all of the kernel-devel and kernel-debug packages that were already installed, then installed the package "kernel-devel - 2.6.23.8-63.fc8-i686" which worked that time and finally got me the /usr/src/kernels/2.6.23.8-63.fc8-i686

I tried "vmware-config-tools.pl" again, telling it that the include files are in "/usr/src/kernels/2.6.23.8-63.fc8-i686/include"

It now says "The directory of kernel headers (version @@VMWARE@@ UTS_RELEASE) does not match your running kernel (version 2.6.23.8-63.fc8). Even if the module were to compile successfully, it would not load into the running kernel."

I think this vmware script is broken.

I had a look at /usr/bin/vmware-config-tools.pl and I can see the version check starting about line 1337. Its sending a couple of lines into the C compiler and looking for a version number in the output, but its not finding it.

Any ideas anyone?

asela
11th December 2007, 01:57 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to Fedora, and I've decided to take the plunge by installing it in a virtual machine under VMWare Fusion.

The tar installation method has worked great on CentOS 5 and openSUSE, but I can't quite get it right on Fedora 8.

I've installed the necessary development tools (gcc, gcc-c++), as well as the kernel headers (kernel-devel), and the config script actually runs correctly. It tries to find matching kernel modules, fails, and decides to build its own. The files get built correctly, and all of the VMWare guest services start fine.

However, there is 3 problems that ruin it.

1. I lose my virtual network connection. ifconfig only shows the loopback device. I assume this is happening because we're trying to use the vmxnet module instead of the default pcnet32 module.

2. Auto-resize of X session doesn't work. On the other distro's I've tried, resizing the VMWare window auto resizes the X session to match it. This doesn't happen in Fedora 8. The resolution does get set to whatever I choose in the initial configuration, but no auto resizing.

3. Copy & paste between host and guest does not work. Not too big of a deal, but would be nice.

Has anyone been able to successfully install VMWare Tools on Fedora 8? It appears to be version 7.6.2 5 build 62573.

can v install vmware using like yum.. i'm just asking.. i dnt knw it is possible or not.. somthin like yum install vmware ??

mtsprout
11th December 2007, 03:05 PM
I did use yum install kernel-devel. That is the version that downloaded.

In that case, all you should have to do is make sure that when the installer asks for the location of your header files, point it to /usr/src/kernels/2.6.28.8-63.fc8-i686 instead of /usr/src/kernels/2.6.24-0.79.rc4.git5.fc9-i686.

Long story short, you must compile from the directory that matches your running kernel.

mtsprout
11th December 2007, 03:09 PM
Still stuck.

didn't do anything.

I used the package manager to install the package "kernel-devel - 2.6.23.8-63.fc8-i686" but was told that "kernel-devel - 2.6.23.1-49.fc8-i686" was already installed!
I used the package manager to remove all of the kernel-devel and kernel-debug packages that were already installed, then installed the package "kernel-devel - 2.6.23.8-63.fc8-i686" which worked that time and finally got me the /usr/src/kernels/2.6.23.8-63.fc8-i686

I tried "vmware-config-tools.pl" again, telling it that the include files are in "/usr/src/kernels/2.6.23.8-63.fc8-i686/include"

It now says "The directory of kernel headers (version @@VMWARE@@ UTS_RELEASE) does not match your running kernel (version 2.6.23.8-63.fc8). Even if the module were to compile successfully, it would not load into the running kernel."

I think this vmware script is broken.

I had a look at /usr/bin/vmware-config-tools.pl and I can see the version check starting about line 1337. Its sending a couple of lines into the C compiler and looking for a version number in the output, but its not finding it.

Any ideas anyone?

I see that you are using Workstation 5.0. I'm using 5.5.5 and have had no trouble. I suspect that your problem lies in the older version of the tools.

Rod Blackwood
12th December 2007, 10:09 AM
I see that you are using Workstation 5.0. I'm using 5.5.5 and have had no trouble. I suspect that your problem lies in the older version of the tools.

I did wonder about that. I'll try to get an upgrade.

ruratt
13th December 2007, 08:55 PM
Hello all
I installed vmware server using the rpm and run the /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl script
and then everithing was fine until

None of the pre-built vmmon modules for VMware Server is suitable for your
running kernel. Do you want this program to try to build the vmmon module for
your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)? [yes] yes

Using compiler "/usr/bin/gcc". Use environment variable CC to override.

kernel? [/lib/modules/2.6.23.8-63.fc8/build/include]

Extracting the sources of the vmmon module.

Building the vmmon module.

Using 2.6.x kernel build system.
make: Entering directory `/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only'
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.23.8-63.fc8/build/include/.. SUBDIRS=$PWD SRCROOT=$PWD/. modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.23.8-63.fc8-i686'
CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o
/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c: In function ‘LinuxDriver_Ioctl’:
/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:1659: error: ‘struct mm_struct’ has no member named ‘dumpable’
make[2]: *** [/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.23.8-63.fc8-i686'
make: *** [vmmon.ko] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only'
Unable to build the vmmon module.

Has anyone any idea what's wrong