PDA

View Full Version : Hibernate in F8

sharique
28th November 2007, 03:14 PM
I'm have done kde+gnome install in my PC.
I didn't get hibernate option.

How to enable that?

I'm using kde.

ProbablyX
2nd December 2007, 03:13 PM
If you click Log out on the K-Menu, isn't there an option called "Suspend Computer"?

sharique
2nd December 2007, 03:55 PM
Suspend is not HIbernate.
Suspend doesn't poweroff PC.

From
http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/quirk/quirk-suspend-intro.html

Standby is the action where the CPU is held in a low power state but no data is saved to RAM or hard disk. It normally takes a a split second to standby and resume. You cannot remove the battery when on laptop power or work will be lost.

Suspend is the action where the computer freezes all activity, and copies working data to RAM. It then turns off the screen, and goes into a low-power mode. It normally takes a few seconds to suspend and a few seconds to resume. You cannot remove the battery when on laptop power or work will be lost.

Hibernate is the action where the computer freezes all activity and copies data to disk, turns off the screen and powers down. This takes over one minute for me to swap my ram to disk, and nearly 40 seconds to thaw.

Sleep is a composite generic term which means all of the above states.

ProbablyX
2nd December 2007, 04:11 PM
oh, do you have KPowerSave installed? I believe its the component that provides such features.

moueza
2nd December 2007, 11:43 PM
I too. I've kpowersave. But normally in the blue and red "Log out" applet we just have the choice between shutdown and logout, but no suspendRAM/ ROM or something like this!