PDA

View Full Version : Automount ignores /etc/auto.master?

mbratch
28th November 2007, 02:45 AM
I have just installed Fedora 8, read all the autofs, automount, and auto.xyz
man pages.

From what I can tell, the automount daemon should be determining automount location
from /etc/auto.master. My /etc/auto.master specifies /misc/... as the home directory
for CDROM and DVD drives.

However, everything that automounts mounts to /media. I can't find a reference to
/media in any file under /etc. I have no idea where automount is determining
/media as the mount location.

When I add things to /etc/auto.master or other /etc/auto.xxx files as described in manuals
and help instructions online, these are ignored.

Can anyone explain? Thanks!

mbratch
29th November 2007, 04:07 AM
still wondering... ;)

goldenbrown
29th November 2007, 11:12 AM
I believe that hal is in charge of mounting removable media and fstab does the networks and local partitions, etc. I'm no little about hal and how to modify its behaviour, but you can look on
http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/hal.
Nigel

mbratch
29th November 2007, 12:25 PM
Thanks Nigel.

What I'm observing is that any drive that does not explicitly have a label that starts with "/" is being mounted under /media. For example, any hard drive partition I have that is not part of my standard Linux installation (such as Windows partitions or other ext2 partitions I've created with their own label) get mounted under /media. These are not removable.

I did a Google search on different combinations of keywords of auto mount and "media" and came up with nothing. Also, I couldn't find any documentation that explains the default behavior of "/" names.

I will check out the hal site. Thanks!

mbratch
30th November 2007, 03:50 AM
Nothing at the hal site revealed much on this.

I'd really like to know why automount ignores the files /etc/auto.* even though the manuals say that these are the files for configuring automount.

minimumg
30th November 2007, 04:22 AM
Have the same question about the /media thing.
However my change in auto.master does things expectedly. I have configured several automount points in auto.master, and it works.
Now I suspect the /media thing is not done via automount. But I really do not know, the man page is too vague.

mbratch
1st December 2007, 04:33 PM
OK I owe an apology....

After digging further, I realize I didn't understand how automount really works. I did find that it does work as described. I put something in auto.misc, for example, and it will mount it when I attempt to access it. Cool.

But I still have some remaining questions that have led me down this path in the first place:

1) Why are some things mounted directly to /media independent of automount? What determines the name of this mount directory (in this case /media)?

2) Anything that mounts to /media is not persistent across logins. Can automount have persistence, or is that a job only /etc/fstab can handle?

3) What if I don't want one of my hard drive partitions automounted, how can I prevent it? In this case, one of my partitions is mounted under /media, so it's unaffected by anything I put in the /etc/auto.* files.

4) I tried the example that automounts ftp.kernel.org:/pub/linux and it doesn't work (it thinks for several seconds, then says it doesn't exist, so I think it's trying). I can ftp to the site fine, so the connection is there. What might be the problem? (I'm using the example options: ro,soft,intr

Thanks.