PDA

View Full Version : FC4 - too old to update?

sternfan
27th November 2007, 09:47 PM
Hi all,

I have an old server I am moving to new hardware. To do the move, it needs the same OS - FC4.

It doesn't appear that updates are working - I've tried yum -y update, and it appears to try to work, but in the end doesn't install or update anything.

So - is FC4 too old to update? If not, is there some trick to updating it?

Thanks,
Rob

wripley
27th November 2007, 10:15 PM
yeah, you must flush your sirius radio down the toilet, and tune in to XM 202.

sternfan
27th November 2007, 10:24 PM
No idea what you are talking about...

SlowJet
27th November 2007, 10:33 PM
FC1,2,3,4,5 have been at eol for some time.
FC6 will be eol on DEC 7th.
F7 will be eol next spring.

This time next year I will be running F11 rawhide. :)

Search for a 3rd party that has the updates or try to upgade to FC6? You have a 10 days left to get the repo's rpms downloaded.

SJ

rclark
27th November 2007, 10:55 PM
Yes, end of life ... Might want to look at CentOS .... a bit longer life cycle. I just loaded it on one of my work servers which was running RH7 (it had multiple drive failure) and it went on without a hitch ...

wripley
27th November 2007, 11:03 PM
FC1,2,3,4,5 have been at eol for some time.
FC6 will be eol on DEC 7th.
F7 will be eol next spring.

This time next year I will be running F11 rawhide. :)

Search for a 3rd party that has the updates or try to upgade to FC6? You have a 10 days left to get the repo's rpms downloaded.

SJ

that really pisses me off. they release them so fast that you don't even have time to learn about all the differences between the release three releases ago before the next two are out. and how many differences are there really, F7 and F8 are pretty much the same.

JN4OldSchool
27th November 2007, 11:15 PM
that really pisses me off. they release them so fast that you don't even have time to learn about all the differences between the release three releases ago before the next two are out. and how many differences are there really, F7 and F8 are pretty much the same.

Not really the same. Things change. Which is why it is hard to upgrade. Ditch Fedora, use CentOS. You will get an easy 5 years out of that.

lazlow
28th November 2007, 12:52 AM
Centos5 has a five year support life. It is RedHat el5 with the logos removed. It "feels" like FC6.

Lot of people would vastly disagree with you that there is no difference between F7 and F8. I would be among them. F7 hated my hardware. F8 gets along with it very well. A lot of people had the opposite problem (just check posts). While on the surface not much has changed since FC6 under the hood lots has changed. If nothing else dropping the hda type drives was a HUGE switch.

I now run Centos5 on all my servers.

Lazlow

forkbomb
28th November 2007, 01:01 AM

It's no secret that Fedora is a cutting-edge distro. And the release and support cycle is published for anybody to see. It's not exactly a secret that you'll have to switch to new versions at least every 12 months or so if you want Fedora updated.

F7 and F8 have some substantial differences. FC6 was substantially different from F7. Check the wiki.

wripley
29th November 2007, 05:50 AM
so when you say that the "repo RPMS" will be gone by a certain date, what do you mean by that?

lazlow
29th November 2007, 06:06 AM
1st After a version hits end of life (EOL) there are no further official updates for that version.

2nd Most repos have a limited amount of space, so they do not waste it on unsupported versions.

wripley
29th November 2007, 06:24 AM
i guess what i meant was, will yum still be able to be used for updates for F7?

Wayne
29th November 2007, 06:31 AM
FC6 should reach EOL on December 7th and Fedora 7 will reach EOL about one month after F9 is released (End of next May)

Wayne

JN4OldSchool
29th November 2007, 02:23 PM
i guess what i meant was, will yum still be able to be used for updates for F7?

Let me give you a plain, clear answer to this. No. After EOL the Fedora project stops producing any packages for that version. Period. There are always some third party repos that will keep the last packages in stock for some time but these are not easy to find. For any new packages you may luck out and find someone that has built a Fedora RPM which you can still use but you will have a dependency nightmare. The other alternative is to just compile from source. So you are not totally screwed. But why bother with all this? Just keep Fedora within the last two versions or find another distro with longer life. This is why we recommend CentOS. It is the exact same as using Fedora or RHEL except it is not so bleeding edge.

Dan
29th November 2007, 04:03 PM
Hi wripley.

As of the end-of-life date, the repos for the dying version are removed. You will no longer be able to access them through yum. But all is not lost. However the solution will cost a nominal fee.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution/OnlineVendors

Selecting a vendor from this list will allow you to purchase DVDs of the entire repos. It is also important to realize that just because a version hits end-of-life doesn't mean it automatically breaks. I personally usually order the above mentioned discs, and then upgrade (or clean install actually) at my leisure. As an example, this system (My production box) will stay on FC6 for at least another full year.

Dan

rclark
29th November 2007, 04:23 PM
a version hits end-of-life doesn't mean it automatically breaks Good point. That's why I had RH7 for so long on a machine because it was't broke ... no need to 'fix' so to speak. Also still running FC5 on a server and it is running well ... so no need to upgrade until something really breaks down....
BTW, I also get the DVD of the system(s) I am using. Can always reinstall from that. For a 'nominal' fee for the media it is well worth it. I've been using http://www.frozentech.com/ which is on the list above....

Nice and stable CentOS 5 (as of this post) is still the best option though for a server application IMO ( I used to not think this way. I used to feel the latest FC/RH was best at time I brought up a new server ... but I've changed my mind on this now.... I can change my mind right? ;) ) .