PDA

View Full Version : Updating Troubles

rkm
27th November 2007, 08:23 PM
I can't seem to get any updates lately, system goes to retrieving software information and hangs. Is this a bug with 8?

pseudovector
27th November 2007, 08:38 PM
In the past I've had yum/rpm hang like you describe. I fixed it by

1) ps -ewf and grepping for yum and rpm. killing any that are "hung".
2) yum clean all
3) rm /var/lib/rpm/__db.*
4) rpm --rebuilddb

might work for you as well.

vodamaxe
27th November 2007, 09:53 PM
I'm pretty sure you have the same problem with the update-related yum repository file: comps-f8.xml like discussed in that forum by a couple of posts today.

(look for comps-f8.xml or "yum hangs" or ""yumex hangs" at the topics.

To verify if you have that problem you should install yumex. Yumex gives much more messages when working that yum. Yumex should be available here: http://rpm.livna.org (There you can also find instructions how to install it manualy without having to use the GUI)

last but not least:
Update your system from the command line should still work: checkout "man yum".

pseudovector
27th November 2007, 10:10 PM
To verify if you have that problem you should install yumex. Yumex gives much more messages when working that yum. Yumex should be available here: http://rpm.livna.org (There you can also find instructions how to install it manualy without having to use the GUI)

Would you really recommend using livna for yumex? It's in the fedora core distro. Maybe there's no difference between the livna version and the fedora "core" version (I know it's technically not core anymore)? Or does the livna version provide the extra messages that the fedora version doesn't?

vodamaxe
28th November 2007, 03:43 PM
Well, I think you're right.
"yum install yumex" at the command line should just work for him - thereby automatically using the (by default enabled) fedora repository.
For my system I apparently installed yumex not from the fedora repository - but that may be caused because during the troubleshooting I "played" around with enabling/disabling the yum repositories...
As far as I know there is no difference between the fedora "core"version and other distros (as long as we talking about the same software version of yumex of course).
The yumex version at my system is 2.0.3 and it gives detailed status messages wich helps a lot when it comes to troubleshooting ...

LT72884
28th November 2007, 04:14 PM
I can't seem to get any updates lately, system goes to retrieving software information and hangs. Is this a bug with 8?

Saweet, this is exactly my question. Yesterday morning i was able to update but by the after noon it would hang and i would have to force quit while it was retriving software information. Its day two and same thing. I noticed that this morning it did not bring up the update dialog box in the upper right hand corner either. Kinda odd if you ask me. Any help would be nice. I need to do a search for a software package. i could use yum but im not sure how i would search for the program like you can in add/remove software.

vodamaxe
30th November 2007, 10:04 PM
Well as you probably noticed meanwhile everything is fine again. Apparently there was a (central) problem with the mirror servers hosting the online software inventories. This is (very) bad of course and I am sure it has caused some damage to the fedora enthusiasm in particularly of new users ...

Command line enthusiasts might even not have noticed the problem, since yum itself (the yum command) worked fine all the time.

the yum command is definitely worth to spend a minute with ! Unlike the rpm command it's not like hundred of man pages and several hundred switches and options. there are only a couple of yum commands and this allows you to have full control of the software installation/deinstallation of your system.

so, "man yum" is a must. ;-)

LT72884
30th November 2007, 10:08 PM
yup i like yum cept im trying to find a way to view all the installed software in my system and have it displayed in less. so if something screws up i can see what the actual program name is.