PDA

View Full Version : Menu items

glennzo
27th November 2007, 02:38 AM
Hi guys and girls. Got bored and installed KDE. Wanted to see what it looks like these days. Anyhow, Now my Gnome menus are scattered with a ton of KDE apps. I don't want that. I would like to see Gnome only apps in the menus when running Gnome and KDE apps only when running KDE, which is like, never. Is there a safe simple way to remove the KDE apps from the menus other than manually removing them? No offense to KDE lovers.

Seve
27th November 2007, 02:46 AM
Hello:
I usually have Gnome, KDE and a few others installed in case I bork one of them :)

What I do, is type alacarte and just de-select Show for the ones I don't want to see in the Gnome menus.

I figured this was the safest way, but I'm sure there is probably another way as well.

Seve

Iron_Mike
27th November 2007, 03:08 AM
What I do is install gnome version of F8 on it's own partitions, then install the kde version of F8 on it's own separate partitions. Modify the grub.conf to use the "chainloader" option so if any updates bork an install you know not to install the updates on other DE

glennzo
27th November 2007, 10:20 AM
Hello:
I usually have Gnome, KDE and a few others installed in case I bork one of them :)

What I do, is type alacarte and just de-select Show for the ones I don't want to see in the Gnome menus.

I figured this was the safest way, but I'm sure there is probably another way as well.

SeveThanks Seve. I was hoping that there would be something less time consuming than deselecting menu items one at a time. I'll have a look see.

glennzo
27th November 2007, 10:21 AM
What I do is install gnome version of F8 on it's own partitions, then install the kde version of F8 on it's own separate partitions. Modify the grub.conf to use the "chainloader" option so if any updates bork an install you know not to install the updates on other DE
Hi IronMike. How's that work regarding grub.conf ?