PDA

View Full Version : repo replacement

arvsr1988
26th November 2007, 11:56 AM
hey ... i'm using fc7 and i deleted the directory that had my repos due to a lack of space....

i want to know where i can get all the files online and restore them at that location. thanks!

bbfuller
26th November 2007, 12:20 PM
Hello arvsr1988

Here is my complete yum.reps.d folder for f7 zipped up. It also contains the livna repositories.

leigh123linux
26th November 2007, 02:01 PM
hey ... i'm using fc7 and i deleted the directory that had my repos due to a lack of space....

i want to know where i can get all the files online and restore them at that location. thanks!

That saved less 200kb of space and broke yum ( What a stupid thing to do :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )

JN4OldSchool
26th November 2007, 02:46 PM
From this thread:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=909747#post909747

install kernel-devel gcc error
hey when i type the command "install kernel-devel gcc" i get the following error.

yum install kernel-devel gcc
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
file:///mnt/c/Documents%20and%20Settings/Arvind/Desktop/Linux%20Software/Fedora/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 5] OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/mnt/c/Documents and Settings/Arvind/Desktop/Linux Software/Fedora/repodata/repomd.xml'
Trying other mirror.
Error: Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: Everything

what am i supposed to do?

If bbfuller's file didnt work then I suspect you have been doing some more spring cleaning?

What are you to do? I suspect reinstall. :)

FriedChips
26th November 2007, 02:50 PM
That saved less 200kb of space and broke yum ( What a stupid thing to do :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )

That's a little harsh, but yeah, I have to agree :eek: If you really are in that bad 'o shape with space, maybe it's time to start thinking about using Damn Small Linux, or puppy or something. Something like that would run wayyy better on a starving for specs computer anyway.

bbfuller
26th November 2007, 03:24 PM
Hello arvsr1988

I'm not sure why your Yum is trying to find the repomod file on a desktop in Windows. The place for the directory and files within it I posted is directly off the:

/etc

directory.

Be aware though, that Yum remembers at least some parameters from previous times it starts. If I change any of my Yum repo files I find that I have to remove the appropriate contents of the /var/cache/yum folder before Yum recognises the change.

Please note I said the "APPROPRIATE" contents. If you are going down that road please restrain your enthusiasm for deleting and double check what you are doing.

leigh123linux
26th November 2007, 08:05 PM
Try

su
rm -rf /etc/yum.repos.d
mkdir /etc/yum.repos.d
wget http://ftp.uni-bayreuth.de/linux/fedora/linux/releases/7/Fedora/i386/os/Fedora/fedora-release-7-3.noarch.rpm
rpm -U --replacefiles --replacepkgs --force fedora-release-7-3.noarch.rpm
yum clean all

arvsr1988
27th November 2007, 03:12 AM
hey.... i deleted my whole repo folder which i set to be on my windows partition (becuase my windows partition has much more space than linux partition) because i wasnt having some space at a time i needed it .... however i have enough space on my hard disk and theres no need to shift to another distro... so is reinstalling the best way to go or what?

arvsr1988
27th November 2007, 03:15 AM
yea and i had about 12GB of repos which is why i deleted them after i completed an update because i thought i wouldn't be needing them again

arvsr1988
27th November 2007, 03:54 AM
Try

su
rm -rf /etc/yum.repos.d
mkdir /etc/yum.repos.d
wget http://ftp.uni-bayreuth.de/linux/fedora/linux/releases/7/Fedora/i386/os/Fedora/fedora-release-7-3.noarch.rpm
rpm -U --replacefiles --replacepkgs --force fedora-release-7-3.noarch.rpm
yum clean all

hey i tried this but i think the website doesn't exist or something ... heres what i got.

wget http://ftp.uni-bayreuth.de/linux/fedora/linux/releases/7/Fedora/i386/os/Fedora/Fedora-release-7-3.noarch.rpm
--10:35:25-- http://ftp.uni-bayreuth.de/linux/fedora/linux/releases/7/Fedora/i386/os/Fedora/Fedora-release-7-3.noarch.rpm
=> `Fedora-release-7-3.noarch.rpm'
Resolving ftp.uni-bayreuth.de... 132.180.15.2
Connecting to ftp.uni-bayreuth.de|132.180.15.2|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
10:35:31 ERROR 404: Not Found.

leigh123linux
27th November 2007, 09:15 AM
hey i tried this but i think the website doesn't exist or something ... heres what i got.

wget http://ftp.uni-bayreuth.de/linux/fedora/linux/releases/7/Fedora/i386/os/Fedora/Fedora-release-7-3.noarch.rpm
--10:35:25-- http://ftp.uni-bayreuth.de/linux/fedora/linux/releases/7/Fedora/i386/os/Fedora/Fedora-release-7-3.noarch.rpm
=> `Fedora-release-7-3.noarch.rpm'
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
10:35:31 ERROR 404: Not Found.

The site is fine you must have a DNS problem as well

[leigh@localhost ~]$ wget http://ftp.uni-bayreuth.de/linux/fedora/linux/releases/7/Fedora/i386/os/Fedora/fedora-release-7-3.noarch.rpm
--08:14:29-- http://ftp.uni-bayreuth.de/linux/fedora/linux/releases/7/Fedora/i386/os/Fedora/fedora-release-7-3.noarch.rpm
=> `fedora-release-7-3.noarch.rpm'
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 20,294 (20K) [audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin]

100%[====================================>] 20,294 --.--K/s

08:14:30 (190.39 KB/s) - `fedora-release-7-3.noarch.rpm' saved [20294/20294]

[leigh@localhost ~]$

arvsr1988
27th November 2007, 10:11 AM
lol i tried this morning and didnt get it but i got it now...

arvsr1988
27th November 2007, 10:13 AM
when i apply the package it says its already installed so do i copy any of the files somewhere??

leigh123linux
27th November 2007, 10:16 AM
hey.... i deleted my whole repo folder which i set to be on my windows partition (becuase my windows partition has much more space than linux partition) because i wasnt having some space at a time i needed it .... however i have enough space on my hard disk and theres no need to shift to another distro... so is reinstalling the best way to go or what?

That explains the path to windows in this output ( you where using local repo instead of using the net )

yum install kernel-devel gcc
file:///mnt/c/Documents%20and%20Settings/Arvind/Desktop/Linux%20Software/Fedora/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 5] OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/mnt/c/Documents and Settings/Arvind/Desktop/Linux Software/Fedora/repodata/repomd.xml'
Trying other mirror.
Error: Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: Everything

Does yum work now ?

leigh123linux
27th November 2007, 10:18 AM
when i apply the package it says its already installed so do i copy any of the files somewhere??

Try deleting the old package first .

rpm -e --nodeps fedora-release
rpm -i fedora-release-7-3.noarch.rpm
yum clean all

arvsr1988
27th November 2007, 10:29 AM
hey why do i need to delete and re install if i have the same thing?and i tried the 2 commands and got this:

[arvsr1988@localhost ~]$ rpm -e --nodeps fedora-release
error: can't create transaction lock on /var/lib/rpm/__db.000
[arvsr1988@localhost ~]$ rpm -i fedora-release-7-3.noarch.rpm
warning: fedora-release-7-3.noarch.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 4f2a6fd2

and how do i check if yum works? sorry it may sound like a stupid question but i'm still getting used to linux..

leigh123linux
27th November 2007, 10:35 AM
hey why do i need to delete and re install if i have the same thing?and i tried the 2 commands and got this:

[arvsr1988@localhost ~]$ rpm -i fedora-release-7-3.noarch.rpm
warning: fedora-release-7-3.noarch.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 4f2a6fd2

and how do i check if yum works? sorry it may sound like a stupid question but i'm still getting used to linux..

You have to delete it because its wrong . ( you have edited these files when you made your custom repo )

try

su
rpm -e --nodeps fedora-release
rpm -i fedora-release-7-3.noarch.rpm

markkuk
27th November 2007, 11:17 AM
and i tried the 2 commands and got this:

You are logged in as a non-privileged user, but you must be root (http://www.fedorafaq.org/basics/#root) to remove or install packages.

arvsr1988
28th November 2007, 05:52 AM
ok now i logged in as root and did the 3 commands given in the previous page... and then i tried to install the repos given in the previous page.... and it said /home/desktop/(that filename) is already installed... then i launched appliactions->add/remove software and i get "Unable to retrieve software information. This could be caused by not having a network connection available" ... and in the terminal when i do "su -c 'yum install yumex'" i get

[arvsr1988@localhost ~]$ su -c 'yum install yumex'
Password:
file:///home/updates/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 5] OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/home/updates/repodata/repomd.xml'
Trying other mirror.
Error: Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: Updates

and here's my yum.conf file

plugins=1
metadata_expire=1800

# PUT YOUR REPOS HERE OR IN separate files named file.repo
# in /etc/yum.repos.d
[Everything]
name=Fedora $releasever - $basearch
baseurl=file:///mnt/c/Documents%20and%20Settings/Arvind/Desktop/Linux%20Software/Fedora
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0

[Livna]
baseurl=file:///var/www/livna/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0

[Updates]
baseurl=file:///home/updates/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0

now .... is it possible for me to change the repo folder back to my linux filesystem? I only have 5 gigs free on it tho...

arvsr1988
28th November 2007, 11:11 AM
hello?? any help?

bbfuller
28th November 2007, 12:12 PM
Hello arvsr1988

Two things spring to mind, firstly not all Linux command line software is happy with spaces in the path/filename

Secondly, have you mirrored the complete Fedora repository there or do you just have a selection of rpm's you have downloaded. If the latter then you need to run a program - available from the repositories - called 'createrepo' against all of your repositories. It's purpose is to create the repomod.xml file, among others, that yum looks for.

Not sure if it will run across a network - or with spaces in the path/filename - but that is what you will have to try as it won't run directly on your windows machine.

arvsr1988
28th November 2007, 01:45 PM
hey .... the repo files i have are in the attachment. i have a feeling that they are my update files because they were in /home/updates

i also have another folder called Fedora/repodata and under this folder are the following:

filelists.xml.gz other.xml.gz primary.xml.gz repomd.xml

so i think i have my update files but i have deleted my repodata and my livna .... also i wanna reset the repo folder back to my linux partition so please tell me the default place for the repos so that i can keep them there. Thanks!

bbfuller
28th November 2007, 03:39 PM
Hello arvsr1988

It depends exactly what you mean by repo files.

The files within the folder I attached to post #2 are usually referred to as the repo files. As you see they are within a folder named yum.repos.d and that folder goes within the etc folder so a path name to one of the files is:

/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo

As to the folder that contains all the downloaded rpm files. That is something that only a few people do and there is no hard and fast rule where it should go. Wherever you can access it easily is a good rule of thumb.

arvsr1988
29th November 2007, 04:20 AM
ok so if those are the repos it means ive lost my updates and livna files.... what do i do now?

arvsr1988
29th November 2007, 04:22 AM
and by repo files i meant those that are not update files or livna files...

bbfuller
29th November 2007, 11:30 AM
Hello arvsr1988

That really depends on what you are trying to achieve. Usually, the only reason for keeping a whole lot of rpm's from one or the other of the online repositories is because a) you don't have internet access on the machine you want to update, or b) you have several machines to update and only want to do the downloading part once.

For myself, I keep a complete copy of the Fedora Updates repo here to save downloading what I want many times but I pull in what I want from Livna and others as I want it. The quantity that I download being much less from non-fedora sources.

You will see that I said a "complete" copy of the Fedora Updates repo. The problem with mirroring only part of it is that you can find when you try to use your mirrored repository that you have not got all the packages that the rpm you are trying to install requires. If you hadn't come across the term, those packages are known as dependencies.

That's the reason most Fedora installation and updating apart from the initial install is done over the internet.

If you have already downloaded rpms I'm not sure how you can loose them unless you deliberately delete them.

Apart from that it really doesn't matter too much how you approach it.

You need directories that are easily accessible from Linux to hold the downloaded files in. These will be the "Repositories".

You need "repo files" held in the directory:

/etc/yum.repos.d

that have the path to those repository directories written in them.

You need to run the program 'createrepo' against each of the repository directories:

createrepo /home/bbfuller/my repository directory

would be an example where you would substitute your repositories.

You may well need to delete the contents of the /var/cache/yum folder as it will still have a memory of previous locations of any repostiories. Yum will rebuild what was there with the correct paths the next time you run it.

Hope that helps.

arvsr1988
30th November 2007, 02:43 AM
hey all i want to do is to get the right files in my repo,update, adn livna folder. U say that the only reason u need the repos is due to a lack of internet connectivity or multiple systems, Right now i'm not in either of those situations so do i need those rpm files that i showed u on the attached file before? Also i just want to know what files (as in the xml files) i need to have in each of the repo, updates and livna folders and i want to be able to install software that i download from the net thru the applications->add/remove software menu. (right now i get "Unable to retrieve software information. This could be due to not having a network connection available." )

Please email me at arvsr2002@yahoo.com or add my msn/yahoo (arvsr2002@yahoo.com) so that we can get this done more quickly. Thanks.

bbfuller
30th November 2007, 11:11 AM
Hello arvsr1988

As I said, usually when you request Fedora to install or update software it does it over the internet. So if you have internet access you do not need the rpm files or your own repositories.

If you put the files that I attached to post#2 into the /etc/yum.repos.d folder - or the whole folder into /etc - and make an internet connection, then Yum - or whatever frontend you are using for it - should learn about available packages from the internet repositories and allow you to install them from there.

That will apply if you use the yum command directly from the command line or if you use applications > add/remove software.

You may though find it necessary to do what I outlined in the next to last paragraph of my previous post to make yum forget previous attempts that failed.

JN4OldSchool
30th November 2007, 02:17 PM
Sorry to butt in again, but this has been going on for four-five days now. Maybe it would be simpler to just reinstall? Of course you will never know what exactly you did wrong or learn how to fix it, but sometimes it is best to just move on. You are highly unclear on what exactly the problem is or what you hope to accomplish. As bbfuller says, if you have an internet connection then you shouldnt even be messing with the repos or the yum.repos.d file. Just go to a guide such as:

http://fedoraguide.info/index.php/Fedora8

or

http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f8.html

and follow the directions to get the Livna repo. You shouldnt have to mess with the files themselves. Just like Windows, you dont go around randomly deleting files. If you want to ditch an app go through yum. I also highly recommend yumex. "yum install yumex." It really allows you to "see" the packages and what you are doing. You do not need to "install" software you download through add-remove programs (which is called pirut and is just another frontend for yum the same as yumex) these programs are being installed by yum. If you cannot find them in the menu then you will need to find the CLI name to invoke them from the terminal. But trust me, they are installed. I also suggest, if you havent already, at least skim this material:

http://www.fedorafaq.org/

It will answer many questions and misconceptions you may have.

Take this post at face value, I do not know your situation, only what I have read and interpreted through this thread. I am just saying that if it were me I would just stop now and spend the next 2-3 hours doing a fresh install and going from there. You are beating your head against the wall on a problem that shouldnt exist.

bbfuller
30th November 2007, 05:14 PM
Hello arvsr1988

Sometime we get so close to a problem that we only see what might be causing the grief when someone else writes about it.

You may have the Windows attitude to software install here. Where you download files onto your computer and then go through a separate process to install them.

Most times you don't do it like that in Linux.

What you do is decide the program you want, issue a command either from the command line or a graphical interface and Linux goes out onto the internet collects what it needs and installs it in one go.

So for example, if you decided you wanted the gnucash program you wouldn't find a place to download gnucash from and then once you had it install it somehow. You would issue the command:

yum install gnucash

and yum would go away, collect the pieces off the internet (usually there are extra bits needed - you may have heard people mention dependencies) and install them all in one go.

I agree with JN4OldSchool though, if that is the case and if you haven't customised too much, it might be better to install again.

arvsr1988
1st December 2007, 09:26 AM
hey ... i got the problem solved and i put the files in post #2 into the /etc/yum.repos.d folder...
however the createrepo command didnt work on me. ...
so i left that alone and cleared the /var/cache/yum directory... it cleared fine
then i did the "yum install yumex" and that worked fine too ...
now i get an alert on the taskbar saying that 221 updates are available. I click "apply updates" and they download, but after that i get this error:

"Error downloading packages:
Errors were encountered while downloading packages
Details:
checkpolicy - 2.0.3-1.fc7.i386: failure: checkpolicy-2.0.3-1.fc7.i386.rpm from Everything: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.
libupnp - 1.6.0-1.fc7.i386: failure: libupnp-1.6.0-1.fc7.i386.rpm from Everything: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.
"

whats the problem here? I think its all almost solved. Just some small mistake somewhere along the line

bbfuller
1st December 2007, 10:54 AM
Hello arvsr1988

Well, I'm glad that's working so far.

You don't need the createrepo command unless you are going to save all the files you download and then install them on another machine. That is a different subject and we won't go there unless we need to.

If you've chosen to apply updates and have got no more errors than that then I think we can assume that the other 219 updates have been downloaded and installed on your system safely.

As for the other two, I'd just wait and see what happens the next time you try to install some software or update and see if they are mentioned again.

JN4OldSchool
1st December 2007, 02:41 PM
congrats! :) When dealing with yum you need much patience. The mirrors are always busy and you always seem to get that "no more mirrors" error. What is cool is that the downloads it did accept are now on the drive unless you do a "yum clean all". This means you can simply restart yumex and dl those last two packages. Also be aware that yum will often shoot dependency errors at you. Well, not often, but it does happen. I have found it is best to just wait these out, they will usually clear in a day or so. What happens is one package gets added to a repo forcing another package to upgrade but a third package relies on the older version of package two. When they get around to upgrading package three then the dep can also upgrade with no problems. You can usually isolate package one through yumex and just update the rest.

The key here is dont freak every time you get an error. I would let things go a day before I started worrying that something is broke.

arvsr1988
1st December 2007, 03:39 PM
well cool...everything got updated except that one that had errors but thats ok ... but now i cant use the windows partitions that i mounted... when i access them through /mnt/c/ nothing displays. in the file /etc/fstab i have mounted both the partitions and i have used the partitions all the time before updating but after the updates i cant see anything in my mounted partition directory.