PDA

View Full Version : Port 21 problem

Henry2630
25th November 2007, 10:21 PM
I just installed a new Fedora 8 server. \i installed proftpd and GProftpd. Everything works perfectly.

If I try to connect with CuteFTPPro, it won't connect me on Port 21, but uses Port 22 SHTP. This is fine, I have no problem with that BUT. I'm trying to install a SimpleMachines Forum and the install.php doesn't support anything other than Port 21.

Is it something I did wrong? How can I get to conect via Port 21? Is it something built in to Fedora?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

NibblerUK
25th November 2007, 10:58 PM
Is port 21 open on your firewall?

Check using system-config-firewall or setup if you don't have a GUI installed.

Henry2630
26th November 2007, 09:18 AM
:confused: No, I switchedd off the Fedora Firewall and it has Firestarter on it (we have a Hardware Firewall that will be installed once it's working properly.

I checked the Firestarter Policies and Ports 20 and 21 are open, so is Port 22. Even if I switch firestarter OFF, the problem remains.

Even if I try to run the install.php script on the box itself, it won't work. It's as though Port 21 has ceased to exist for some reason.

NibblerUK
26th November 2007, 09:23 AM
What happens if you telnet to it? from local and remote?

Zero-Override
26th November 2007, 09:25 AM
install nmap, the run "nmap <your ip> -p21" and see what that tells you ;) (nmap is a portscanner)

Henry2630
27th November 2007, 06:05 PM
I get : -

PORT 21/tcp
STATE filtered
Service ftp

Zero-Override
27th November 2007, 06:59 PM
then it's firewalled

best thing to try is: activate your firewall, get some sort of firewall manager (firestarter might be good, i tried it and strongly disliked it but to each his own) and manually open 21, and allow it to go both ways (incoming and outgoing)

also watch out for multiple firewall configs blocking eachother out ;)