PDA

View Full Version : ATI or Nvidia FC2 when finalized

gotmonkey
6th May 2004, 04:36 PM
Here is the question that I pose. I am in need to purchase a new video card for my fedora/winxp system. I am trying to decide between an ATI or a Nvidia. Core 2 is getting away from XFree86 and moving toward X.org for x-windows. I am currently running the 4.6.5.1-350 kernel in FC2T3. I haven't really been able to find anyone that has ATI working in 3D under T3.

For future support: Would I be better off with ATI or Nvidia with Fedora? The Current ATI drivers don't appear to support T3, the new kernel, or the new Xorg.

If I am wrong with any of this please correct me.

From the distros that I have played with (Suse9.0/1, MDK10, & Xandros 2 Dlx) Fedora has been my favorite and least buggy/annoying (even the . I have heard good things about Slackware, Debian, & Gentoo; but I haven't played with them yet.

Just another Noob trying to find that distro that fits him best.

Short term Goals:
*Understand more about Linux
*Have a stable system
*All needed hardware working proper
*NTSF support under linux for drive mounting

Long term Goals:
*Migrate from the Evil Empire, I mean Windows
*play Direct Rendered Games in Linux. UT2004, Savage, etc
*DVD backup and Authoring
*CD backup of Music, Games, &Files.

Longer Term Goals:
File server
Web server
DHCP & Firewall Server

Pegasus
6th May 2004, 07:04 PM
As told, me is using an ATI Radeon 9200SE.
I've made a clean install of FC2T3 - that time with kernel 2.6.5-1.329, stored on ISO's - and it worked from beginning without any problems. Me is running 1024x768 on an 19" screen and direct rendering enabled.

Meanwhile i have kernel 2.6.5-1.350 (since today's upgrade via up2date), and direct rendering is still working.

I thinks the problems are based upon different ATI chipsets. You are using a 9700Pro, and serveral ppl using 9800 series have the same probs.

The xorg.conf you displayed in another thread is ok. It's like mine, which is working.

The time i tested Suse with newest ATI drivers delivered by ATI itself to be able to run this GFX card in a correct way with XFree86 4.3.x ends up in a nightmare. RH9 was able to hande it - with SAME driver!

I hope you'll find a solution for your GFX-card, because i think FC2 will be the right choice for you ;)

gotmonkey
6th May 2004, 08:33 PM
I think that you are correct. Fedora has been easier to work with than MDK10 or Suse 9.1. I plan to stick with Fedora for a while.

If I am not alone on the ATI 9700/9800 series, I feel a bit better about it. I will just have to wait for the software to catch the hardware.

They must have just released a new kernel. I just updated to 2.6.5-1.351 (12:00pm EST). I noticed in the display settings. I could "select" 1280x1024... that didn't work (dumped me to 640x480), set back to 1024x768 with the backup file.

On Xorg:
"XFree86 has been imported on the vendor branch. The tree has been kept in sync with XFree86, through the release of their version 4.4 with the exception of changes to their files that contain their new version 1.1 license."

I think that FC2T3 shipped with version 4.3.9 of XFree / X11R6. Ati's pages support 4.3.0 at current. So, If I understand correctly... Driver's written for XFree86 will work with Xorg? Or did I misunderstand something?

Thanks for the help Pegasus.

Picomp314
6th May 2004, 09:12 PM
I believe that Fedora Core is an excellent choice to use because it has a large, and growing cooperative userbase, and it is the most stable distro I have thus far run.

Fedora Core 2 Test 3 Shipped with X.org version 6.7

Currently Nvidia is much better supported in Linux than ATI is, I am currently running the nvidia _glx driver on a custom 2.6.5 kernel

p.s. http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1702

ghaefb
6th May 2004, 10:41 PM
I must also agree that Nvidia is better supported than ATI. From my experiance I had nothing but trouble with ATI on RedHat based and allmost all GNU/Linux distributions.
But things can change in future..

dpw2atox
7th May 2004, 03:20 AM
i also agree that nvidia is better supported. im using a FX 5900xt and it works great. right now fedora core 2 doesn't work with the official nvidia drivers because of the 4k stacks feature but that will soon be resolved when the next nvidia driver release is made.

rogerdugans
8th May 2004, 05:18 PM
Working with ATI cards in linux has been a recent obsession of mine. ;)

And they DO work- but they are not as reliable or simple to install as NVidia's have proven to be.

Historically, I have seen no reason to expect any change- NVidia is doing a decent job with linux support and ATI is just barely supporting linux.

Personally, I would suggest that anyone planning on a video card purchase for use in any linux distro stick with NVidia.

gotmonkey
9th May 2004, 12:06 AM
From forum searching that I have done, it has become evident that nvidia is going to be the route for me in Linux.

ATI's history with software development has never been the best.

Looks like I will be getting that Gainward Nvidia 5900xt that I was looking at instead of the ATI 9800pro

Prometheus
9th May 2004, 08:11 PM
Ehhh, i have an ATI on Fedora and it runs great. Nvidia cards run, but they can be buggy as hell. ATI's Linux driver works pretty well actually. I jsut downloaded it from their site and it worked just fine. My 9500 Pro works great on Fedora.

foolish
10th May 2004, 11:15 AM
Nvidia drivers, and I think ATI too, doesn't work with the stock kernel for fedora core 2. Don't panic, this always happens.

Fedora Core 2 includes some kernel feature that breaks the nvidia driver. Since the nvidia driver is closed source, we (the open source community) can't fix that. But we just can't choose to not include features that will improve our system just because some closed source driver won't work. This feature I don't know the name of isn't in the vanilla kernel (the official Linus/kernel.org kernel), but is supposed to be included some time soon. It's nvidia and ATIs job to ensure that their kernels are working with Fedora, not the other way around.

I suppose history will repeat it self, as I've said, this always happens. When Core 2 is released, the nvidia driver won't work. People will scream and shout and switch distros like sane people do underwear. After a week or two the nvidia people will release an updated driver, that works just fine. All the people shouting will then move back to Fedora and stay quiet untill Core 3 is released.

gotmonkey
10th May 2004, 12:13 PM
Prometheus,
are you using Core 1 or one of the test versions of Core 2?

My 9700 pro works...... only in 2D.

Picomp314
11th May 2004, 11:42 PM
that is the difference between the ATI cards in Linux and NVIDIA, nvidia has 3d support while ATI does not ...

micha
12th May 2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Picomp314
nvidia has 3d support while ATI does not ...
That's not true. I've got an ATI Radeon Mobility 9600 on a Dell Inspiron 8600 with Fedora Core 1, and I can assure you that 3D works (I play Quake 3 and UT2004 demo).
I posted a topic about the support of ATI driver on Fedora Core 2:
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1753

But I don't know if Radeon 9700 (M11) is supported with the official driver. You might find the answer on the http://rage3d.com forum.

Picomp314
12th May 2004, 12:56 AM
whoops my bad...

gotmonkey
17th May 2004, 08:39 PM
I did some surfing and with the guys over at rage3d have a fix for direct rendering support on ati's

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33757007

When I install core 2, I will take there advice and post a how-to in the fedora forum.

micha
17th May 2004, 10:08 PM
Sounds good.