PDA

View Full Version : Worth the upgrade

RedCelica
25th November 2007, 06:59 AM
So my "behind the times" self just found out there was a fedora 8 release and a I wondering everyone's opinion on upgrading from 7 to 8? Im pretty satisfied with 7 besides the fact I cannot get it to save my WPA key for my WLAN. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

sidenote: Did a search....didnt really help much :confused:

Seve
25th November 2007, 07:05 AM
Hello:
Stating the obvious, it's up to you. :)
Here are the release notes -- on what's new with F8
What's New in Fedora 8? (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/8/ReleaseSummary#head-4f0c6fbce5ef70b1b3c850fbd9dd725ddfd48a42)

Seve

Solust
25th November 2007, 07:09 AM
Well I only ran 7 for a short while during the summer but it was my first time with it and I found it way better than Ubuntu distros. I think this version came with a better style by default. I think most of the improvements are those that you really can't see though but I know that it's working way better with my wireless card and I didn't have to do any command line to get anything working this time. Out of the 7 and Werewolf I think Werewolf is more stable when you first get it. Both have been really evil with my graphics card though. Something I don't like with either distro though is that if you have both KDE and GNOME you get a lot more apps than you need. Other than that though there isn't much I could tell you about.

@Seve

Release notes are way different than getting personal opinions from other users

kennon
25th November 2007, 08:10 AM
The differences on my home machine from 7 to 8 were pretty much all cosmetic. Your best bet is to check out the link Seve provided. My hardware was all supported very well on 7 and the same now on 8. I generally just upgrade to play around on my home machine. If you are the type of person who does a lot of serious work at home or something and can't do with interruptions I wouldn't upgrade unless there is something in that link that you really need. If you are just a tweaker like me then I think you probably wouldn't be asking unless you are just trying to make conversation :-)