PDA

View Full Version : Samba Workgroup Lower/Upper Case

Snpbond
25th November 2007, 03:12 AM
Ok, so I've installed Fedora Core 8 on my linux box, and its working good, however I have a slight problem with Samba. I have the workgroup set to "MSHOME", now everytime the linux pc gets restarted the workgroup changes to "mshome". This shouldn't normally be a problem, however when it is in lowercase none of the other computers in the house can see it it seems. Any ideas as to what is going on?

Whether this is the problem or it is not starting samba on startup (I have it checked in services though) Im not sure, ideas please :)

Anniedog
25th November 2007, 02:17 PM
This seems to depend on how you set up the samba conf file . I have found that everytime I use system>administraion>samba to set up even though I type in my workgroup in upper case it will not hold in the actual upper case in /etc/samba/smb.conf. As soon as I open this up to for instance add/delete shares. I always use the terminal and gedit the workgroup in the actual file and nine times out of ten find that the workgroup case has been changed. This might not be your problem but it works for me on the below setup.

Snpbond
25th November 2007, 04:16 PM
I have checked it, when I set it up using the GUI it sets it in the config correctly, however maybe it does not retain it. Next time it resets I will try editting the conf and restarting the service in hopes that it retains it. Thanks!

Anniedog
25th November 2007, 06:35 PM
It is probably easier for me as I have kept a samba.conf file printed out and I tend to edit this file directly and not go through the desktop. Others I know use samba swat (a browser interface) but I have never bothered. best of luck.