PDA

View Full Version : Backup before F7 to F8 upgrade

cr22rc
25th November 2007, 01:02 AM
I'd like to backup before upgrading an F7 install to F8. I did some basic looking around. I came across something called clonezilla. This looked perfect, but I have 4 SATA drives with SiI3114 controller. I was able with that controller to configure the 4 disks as a single raid 0. F7 installed ok. It has several partitions using different volume groups of this large drive(4disks). All has been running ok. But clonezilla does not seem to recognize it as a single drive. Any ideas why and how to work around? But most important can some recommend something better ? Better approach? Would like to back up (disaster recovery type) either to network or mounted ntfs USB drive. Also this is a x86_64 install.
Thanks

stevea
25th November 2007, 01:30 AM
Yeah - unfortunately gparted and grub and clonezilla(a guess) do not understand the LVM system.

Look at the lvm tool for making a snapshot. HOWTO is here
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/index.html

iamzen
25th November 2007, 01:50 AM
You have some options. The only thing you really should need to backup is your home folder. What a lot of people actually do in your case because of the multiple drives is store it on another drive/partition and remove the /home/username folder then make a symbolic link(ln -s) there to their real home directory.

A quick and dirty way to do it is just copy the folder over to another drive first and copy it back after the install - you will have to probably do a chown -R username:username * on the contents so you own them again, but that is easy to do. I have also zipped my home folder and put it on another drive too as a backup.

For a friend, I created a backup and recover system of the entire boot drive but I don't think that is exactly what you are trying to do. In the case of an update, you really don't need more than the user home directory backed up to keep all your personal settings and data.

cr22rc
25th November 2007, 02:33 AM
Imazen: I think I was looking more for what stevea replied. If the F8 upgrade fails or has some issues, I'd like to revert to the old F7 installl as painlessly as possible. But thanks, appreciate your help.

Stevea: the LVM snapshots look real interesting. There seems to be only one glitch. From what I read you need to have a free partition space available for your snapshot changes. Guess what I don't have? :(

Thanks

tmick
25th November 2007, 02:36 AM
If you use Evolution follow this http://www.go-evolution.org/FAQ#How_can_I_transfer_all_my_Evolution_data_betwe en_computers.2Fto_a_new_partition.2Fto_a_new_compu ter.3F

iamzen
25th November 2007, 02:51 AM
Ok, here is the easy way. Still backup your home folder separately in case you just need that. I am assuming you have enough hard drive space free on a partition for the size of the image of your main drive. What I normally do in that case is get a boot disk of Knoppix. Open the drive you will be using by clicking the icon on the desktop. Then right click over that icon, pick Change Read/Write mode and say yes - that will make the partition writeable. Go into terminal and cd /mnt/hdXX to get where you want to store the image and then type(change /dev/hda for the drive you want to backup:
dd if=/dev/hda | gzip > system_drive_backup.img.gz

Follow the same steps to restore but type:
gzip -dc system_drive_backup.img.gz | dd of=/dev/hda

The first command makes a zipped image of the entire drive and the second restores it.

I just did that for someones computer recently so they would have a backup and restore of the whole hard drive. You can even fine tune the above by using /dev/hda1 for a specific partition. Using Knoppix makes sure Fedora is not running to get a perfect full image. Troy

vinu
25th November 2007, 03:01 AM
You would need to backup your /home and /etc directories. If you have a lot of customised non-rpm packages installed, then /opt and /usr/local and /var might also be considered.