PDA

View Full Version : Realtek Wireless Adapter -need help

Roasted
24th November 2007, 09:48 PM
Every new release of Ubuntu that's come out there's always been a full wiki for it where you can go and research a program you'd like to install and it'd have step by step instructions on how to install it. Is there anything like that for Fedora Core 8? I'm trying out Fedora because I just got a laptop and I'm quite sick of not being able to hear sound or have wireless internet on Ubuntu Gutsy. I'm hoping and praying I can make some magic work here on Fedora... but until then, I'm pretty confused on what to do despite my experience with Ubuntu.

bob
24th November 2007, 10:05 PM
How about this as a starting point? http://www.fedoraguide.info/index.php/Fedora8 You have to understand that Fedora's FOSS, so the Fedora guide won't have any direct reference to the codecs you might want for .mp3's, videos, etc. Dangermouse has an excellent tool for installing many of them (Guides & How-To's) and many, many members have put out their personal instructions. Let us know if you want/need more.

Roasted
24th November 2007, 10:25 PM
Well, let me just throw this out there. I'm having some issues on Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10 with installing my wireless adapter. I won't lie to you fellas, I'm an Ubuntu guy. That's just how I started and I've tried many other distros and I always come back to Ubuntu.

However, Toshiba made my wireless adapter in this particular laptop to be tied in with USB instead of PCI. Why? I don't know, but evidently that's half the problem with getting it to activate. Nonetheless, I've tried a Win98 driver + NDISWRAPPER to no luck. I'm close, but I haven't gotten it fixed just yet. In short, I can't seem to get my wireless adapter on this computer to work with Ubuntu Gutsy. I'm trying out other distros to see if anybody else can natively support it out of the box or with minimal tweaking. Until then, I'm using my Vista partition for wireless hotspots and whatnot.

So, what can you tell me? Can you tell me if Fedora Core 8 is able to fully support my wireless adapter? It's a Realtek 8187B wireless 802.11G usb 2.0 adapter.

bob
24th November 2007, 10:36 PM
Well, I don't use wireless myself so can't be of direct help. You probably should have used a bit of a different title on the thread to get the quickest answer. Mind if I change it to "Realtek Wireless Adapter -need help" ?

forkbomb
24th November 2007, 10:42 PM
Don't have any personal experience with that card (I specifically decided not to get a USB wireless NIC for compatibility concerns), but I'm wondering... why Win98 drivers? Are there no XP drivers in existence for it? I would suggest trying to find at least Win2k drivers for it. (but not Vista drivers - Ndiswrapper doesn't support Vista drivers yet, AFAIK)

Roasted
24th November 2007, 10:44 PM
Yes, there's a whole package of drivers. I guess the Windows 98 drivers were the most stable with NDISWRAPPER or something. I'm really not sure to be honest with you, it's just an assumption.

Bob - please do. :)

bob
24th November 2007, 10:47 PM
Here's a couple of guys who are running it...or trying to: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=172310 You may get more info by typing "8187B" into the 'search' box.

GallComp
24th November 2007, 10:52 PM
Thread name changed... Bob was kinda slow on doing it... :)

bob
24th November 2007, 10:59 PM
(Bob was rebooting into Fedora from gOS plus refilling the refreshments). Thanks, GallComp. (*hic.*)

Roasted
25th November 2007, 03:18 AM
I think what I may do is just go buy a PCMCIA wireless card or something. I mean, I'm trying so hard to get this thing to work, and for what? The laptop is new. The support is minimal. Yet I have other options here. What if I just got like a cheaper Belkin PCMCIA 32bit CardBus wireless adapter? Staples has one for 35 bucks...

I must say, I will probably venture back to Ubuntu. But for what it's worth, the short time I spent here I was happy to have received such mature and professional help from you folks. I'll definitely be tinkering with Fedora in the future on my spare computer... and in the event that I can't get Ubuntu to work with any new card I get, I may just end up back on Fedora!

But anyways, what do you folks think about that idea?

bob
25th November 2007, 03:30 AM
Well, you've probably made a decent choice, although a PM to some of those members who've also been using it might be helpful. In any case, Ubuntu's a great distro and we're glad you're basically enjoying linux. Be sure to stop back from time to time, maybe give Fedora another try later on.

Roasted
3rd December 2007, 07:22 AM
Guess who's back??

Turns out Ubuntu's latest release, Gutsy Gibbon 7.10 (released very recently) doesn't support the sound card that my Toshiba comes with. So at the current time, sound is out of the picture for Ubuntu. I run Gutsy on my desktop, so I figured I'd venture out a bit and try Fedora again. So... here I am, trying to get the wireless to work yet again.

In the event I don't get it working, I still have a usb adapter by 3com coming in the mail tomorrow. Supposedly, Ubuntu fully supports it, which is why I got it, but I would imagine Fedora Core 8 would support it.

Is there a web site out there that has listed everything that has been tested and deemed as fully functional with Fedora? It'd be nice if I could look up this usb adapter and see that it's been tested before I try it tomorrow evening...