PDA

View Full Version : VLC DVD audio not working

crainey69
24th November 2007, 02:33 AM
First of all, let me apologize because I'm pretty sure I saw another thread a couple of days ago related to this same problem but, can't find it for the life of me now.

Suddenly, in DVD playback using VLC, I have no audio. I'm running F8 I update most every day to the latest updates assuming that they are fixing bugs. As far as I know, it only started like 2 days ago but, haven't tried to watch a DVD in over a week so, not exactly sure when it broke

Thanks in advance for any help or redirection to another tread!

Cory

Anniedog
24th November 2007, 03:16 AM
I do not run vlc but had problem with Mplayer similar I had to set the audio to use pulseaudio before I could get sound.

crainey69
24th November 2007, 03:30 AM
When I put in a store bought DVD, it tries to open in VLC then stops. All of my home made DVD's actually open in VLC when I put them in but without sound. Any store bought DVD just fails as soon as it opens.

Anyone.. Please help??

Cory

Anniedog
24th November 2007, 03:36 AM
Now I know this one I had to alter the DVD device to /dev/dvd1 and had to change region to 2 in MPlayer this was the same for me home burn no problem store dvds just would not run,

crainey69
24th November 2007, 03:48 AM
Over the weekend, I added a new controller card and hard drive to the computer. When I plugged everything back in, I plugged the speakers into the wrong plug on the computer. Gawd I feel stupid.

Anyway, I feel really bad about that but, still the commercial DVD problem lives on. Thanks for your help on that!

I'll update as I figure it out.

Cory

Anniedog
24th November 2007, 04:03 AM
Dnot worry about that. But it is strange that your DVD problem was exactly the same as mine. I have two drives installed and was going mad with Mplayer and Xine that I could play my home burnt dvds but neither of them would run on store DVDs. Looking in /dev I saw loads of /dev/cdrw /dev/dvd etc. Looking at the preferences for both these players the default was set at /dev/dvd. So I played around a little and changed this to /dev/dvd1 which was one of devices listed in the /dev folder and everything worked a dream. For Mplayer I also had to set the region to europe 2. Zine never had a sound problem but Mplayer did so I posted. Glad you are getting there.

crainey69
25th November 2007, 03:12 PM
Some how in the upgrade process, libdvdcss got deleted and I didn't think about it. Just reinstalled and all is good now on my end.

To make things simple, I did a search in yumex for VLC and found what I needed and all is good

Cory

Anniedog
25th November 2007, 03:27 PM
Great happy viewing. You should have said that you upgraded. Brave Brave I always install clean. Found out the hard way that often extra packages can get screwed if I tried to upgrade to the next disto.

crainey69
25th November 2007, 03:46 PM
Well, actually I did a clean install (not by choice). Luckily, I had backed up my /home directories. anyway, everything just seemed to work after the install didn't think about it til today. Thanks for your help and attention!

Spent 1 semester in college on Linux Admin and I learn more in 1 day of actually playing than I learned in the whole semester at college. I still refer back to the book occasionally for CLI commands but, once again, I am reaffirmed in my belief that real life WAY more important than college.

Work on computers daily in my real job. It's amazing how often I boot a fedora live disk on a dead XP system and backup important data before doing a "FNR" on the windows system.

Cory