PDA

View Full Version : Useful YUM Commands

ZuriJAckshoT
24th November 2007, 02:31 AM
Can anyone tell me important and usefull commands of yum? I mean, the ones use use every day. (like installing, updating, uninstalling, updating all current installed packages, etc...)

bob
24th November 2007, 02:34 AM
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/yum/en/ You'll find that 'yum update' is the one you use most often as you check for updates to existing software. Then perhaps 'yum search .....' and of course 'yum install'. It may help to use yumex for searches for awhile too.

JN4OldSchool
24th November 2007, 02:41 AM
man yum

*************** :) **********************

bob
24th November 2007, 02:43 AM
Or...what JN4 said.... ;) But jeez, we've got that whole nice wiki on it and all.... somebody's gotta read it once in awhile.

ZuriJAckshoT
24th November 2007, 02:48 AM
thanks, now i get it. :)

(it's much easier to have a jump start by asking to people rather than reading from a wordy documentation page or a man page, that's why I asked :)

JN4OldSchool
24th November 2007, 02:54 AM
thanks, now i get it. :)

(it's much easier to have a jump start by asking to people rather than reading from a wordy documentation page or a man page, that's why I asked :)

Man pages can be cryptic and hard to understand, but they can also be your best friend. Whenever I install a new app I will see if it has a man page and read through it. Chances are I will never use 99% of that info, but at least I know what the app is capable of.

As far as yum, as Bob says, "update" is the main command. You will also use "clean all" on occasion. "list" is OK, but I prefer yumex for window shopping. Yumex adds a new layer to the experience and allows you to visually control repos and packages with the mouse click.