PDA

View Full Version : F8 KDE vs GNOME

StormChaser
23rd November 2007, 07:40 AM
Turns out KDE on F8 is rather slow for me... So I'm switching over to GNOME as its much quicker however I noticed something.. KDE software is on GNOME and I can use it.. How so? I thought KDE Software couldn't be ran on GNOME.. For instance I was able to start KOPETE which I think is way better then GAIM.. It's cleaner.. Now I'm going to need a fresh reinstall because I got dang near every K series program on there so my menus are outrageous..

But.. I do like Kopete more then Gaim.. After I reinstall with just GNOME, will I be able to install Kopete and run it?

jamesjpn
23rd November 2007, 08:02 AM
Now you know why I prefer Gnome over KDE! Yes, all KDE programs are available in Gnome, but Gnome applets are NOT available in KDE. At least that was my last observation. I like the Gnome applets that run the the taskbar. But there are some KDE program I just love, like K3b CD/DVD burning software, and Kolour Paint which is very similar to MS Paint which I was already used to.

drunkahol
23rd November 2007, 11:00 AM
KDE apps run just fine on Gnome and vice versa. Don't know where I'd be without Amarok under Gnome - oh yes, I remember; wouldn't have needed all that extra memory ;)

Gnome apps generally rely on the GTK toolset while KDE apps rely on Qt. Although you can only run one desktop in a session (I get the niggling feeling that someone will show me wrong here), there is nothing to stop Qt and GTK apps sharing the same desktop.

Way back in the dark ages, Red Hat created the Bluecurve theme (which I remember was roundly criticised by all parties) to enable a KDE desktop and Gnome desktop to look almost identical. The theory behind it was that Joe or Jane user shouldn't care whether an app is Gnome or KDE, but it should integrate completely with whichever desktop is currently running.

If you are re-installing, select both KDE and Gnome. That way you can run Kopete and whatever other KDE apps you fancy under Gnome. As I said at the top, I run Amarok most of the time under Gnome.

Cheers

Duncan

pete_1967
23rd November 2007, 12:01 PM
If you are re-installing, select both KDE and Gnome. That way you can run Kopete and whatever other KDE apps you fancy under Gnome. As I said at the top, I run Amarok most of the time under Gnome.

Only if you want to use both DEs.

You can install any KDE application and run on Gnome without having to install full KDE (same goes other way around). When you install a KDE application it will automatically install all required QT libraries which it then loads when you run the program (QT libraries are no different from any other dependencies).

Unless you plan to use 2 different DEs for what ever reason, there is no point to install more than one of them for the sake of using 1 or 2 "non-native" application.

lmo
23rd November 2007, 03:31 PM
Turns out KDE on F8 is rather slow for me... So I'm switching over to GNOME as its much quicker however I noticed something.. KDE software is on GNOME and I can use it.. How so? I thought KDE Software couldn't be ran on GNOME.. For instance I was able to start KOPETE which I think is way better then GAIM.. It's cleaner.. Now I'm going to need a fresh reinstall because I got dang near every K series program on there so my menus are outrageous..
Yup!
I went through every *.desktop in /usr/share/applications/kde and pasted at the bottom
OnlyShowIn=KDE;:)

HaydnH
23rd November 2007, 05:06 PM
Personally I can't stand either gnome or kde, they seem far too bloated & slow for my liking. I still use Window Maker (screenie attached for a laugh) although I do still use some gnome/kde apps (e.g: gnomePilot, k3b). I really don't need bells & whistles - all I need is to be able to press ctrl-alt-t to get a terminal :p