PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 8 Security Update Notice ...

w m z
22nd November 2007, 05:06 AM
Hi there,

Earlier I had a notice on my Fedora 8 install saying I had 30 Security updates to install.

After running:

# yum update

57 packages / updates were adding to the system.

I am assuming that 'yum update' applied the 30 Security updates as well as updating the rest of the packages.

My questions are ...

1. Does yum update automatically apply Security updates?

2. Is there a way of manually just applying security updates without waiting for the 'notice' to appear. i.e. typing a command?

Thank you for your help :)

Captn
22nd November 2007, 08:56 AM
I was wondering this myself, I was having issues using the auto updater thats pops up, it said i had 62 updates, but its taking forever to download them. Is thier another way to get these updates via the terminal? Sorry, not trying to hijack this thread, did't want to start another for a smiliar issue. Thank you in advance.

robatino
22nd November 2007, 09:05 AM
yum install yum-security

Then read the yum-security man page. This package adds certain options to the yum command, in particular the --security option, so you can apply just the security updates with

yum --security update

Edit: And in response to the first question, "yum update" applies all of the updates, including security updates.

robatino
22nd November 2007, 09:08 AM
I was wondering this myself, I was having issues using the auto updater thats pops up, it said i had 62 updates, but its taking forever to download them. Is thier another way to get these updates via the terminal? Sorry, not trying to hijack this thread, did't want to start another for a smiliar issue. Thank you in advance.

I always use command-line yum for updating. One of my gripes with the graphical tool is that it doesn't show the size of packages (or which repo they come from, last time I checked, another important piece of info).

Captn
22nd November 2007, 09:19 AM
yum install yum-security

Then read the yum-security man page. This package adds certain options to the yum command, in particular the --security option, so you can apply just the security updates with

yum --security update

Edit: And in response to the first question, "yum update" applies all of the updates, including security updates.

Awsome, thank you very much.

w m z
23rd November 2007, 04:36 AM
Captn ... np about hijacking the post ... any time ;)

Thanks 4 the answers robatino ;)

Have a great w/e!