PDA

View Full Version : This stop is... FC8

Gnathorhizidae
19th November 2007, 09:10 AM
Greetings. :)
After using Ubuntu for about 1.5 years I eventually got frustrated enough to move on..
I think discovering that my Desktop had been living in my recycle bin ( I emptied it and lost my Desktop files being the last straw)
For me I need something simple, functional and easy to use for the novice.
Installation of FC8 was fast and smooth :)
I like the way it saw all my other NTFS drives. My application requirements are the basics - web, music and video. Although I was used to synaptic and apt-get, automatix2.. Yum and useful guides helped me get things going well enough... thus so far..

But there's one thing I can't work out in Gnome / Nautilus....

Currently my file system window is just the most basic view -folders opening into new windows, new windows, new windows... :rolleyes: etc

So how make the window partitioned so folders are on the left and sub folders/files on the right? .. ( so called 'explorer' style I want to have something like this - http://thunar.xfce.org/images/filewindow-1.png)

I have looked through the various menu edit options and preferences look and feel everything that could be described as 'intuitive'. Also searched the forum and the web. (maybe the terms are too generic to get accurate results )
I don't really prefer KDE ( I have tried it a few times)

Thunar looks pretty nice ( though the installation on the website looks a bit daunting for me!) (I will try this as Plan B.!! :eek: :cool: )

-Thanks in advance.
David.

leadgolem
19th November 2007, 09:32 AM
In nautilus, click view, check off sidebar. Click the down arrow and set it to Places. See attached image. The weird strip is caused from trying to take a screenshot while a compositing engine is running effects.

Uh, thunar is packaged for fedora.
su
yum install Thunar

jtang613
19th November 2007, 11:03 AM
Nautilus -> Edit -> Preferences -> Behaviour -> Always Open in Browser Windows

Gnathorhizidae
19th November 2007, 12:08 PM
Dear Leadgolum.. firstly thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I couldn't see this option - but I do sincerely thank you for trying
however JTangs suggest worked!!
VERY HAPPY!! :) VERRYYYY!!

Thanks for the help.

Now I literally punching the wall trying to get JRE working so can play Yahoo Pool!
Its a nightmare

iamzen
19th November 2007, 01:48 PM
You need to click on Terminal (Applications, then system tools) then do the su and yum install Thunar - it does work. You might also want to look for it under Add/Remove software since it listed in the fedora repository.

As far as the JRE thing, it is a well documented problem right now. Shouldn't be long before it is fixed though. Troy

Gnathorhizidae
19th November 2007, 02:21 PM
Thanks Imazen :)
Since I have Nautilus working ok now, I am satisfied and will not try to 'fix what ain't broke' but many thanks to you too for helping out..
Also, I thought I was the only one going crazy with this JRE.
I am suprised my keyboard could suffer such abuse without losing a few keys..Philips wireless' - very sturdy!
Sadly I am back using XP for the moment.. which all things considered probably deserves more credit sometimes on Linux forums..so I don't mind it.
I have found these Fedora forums very useful and thank all who replied- you have my deepest gratitude.

iamzen
19th November 2007, 03:24 PM
You are welcomed. One thing that might make your life a little easier is to install yumex which I find easier to use for installing new software and finding out what is out there. You just need to go into the Terminal and do su enter yum install yumex enter to have it up and running. Plus, you might want to make sure that you have the Livna repository (http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/) on your list.

It looks like they have figured out that JRE problem. This link might help your JRE problems. (http://fedoraguide.info/index.php/Main_Page#Firefox_Plugins)

Troy

Gnathorhizidae
22nd November 2007, 11:08 AM
Thanks I installed Yumex and livna repository. Even got Thundar going - thanks :)
The problem in JRE!!!
The little man can dance on the webpage ( but only with Konquorer) so its 'installed'
however go to Yahoo and its not installed..
It's so easy to install on XP :(( its not fair :(( it's idiot proof
So score for today
progress : YES
success : NO.
Not sure what I can do now
Java.com says YES
Yahoo.com says NO
XP says "take the easy way out!"
>:(

iamzen
22nd November 2007, 11:56 AM
Well, I wouldn't say idiot proof with XP, I have had students mess that up LOL.

First, where is Java installed on your machine? Depending on how you installed it, there can be a couple of places that it ends up. Is it under /opt or /usr/java? Did you setup the ln -s for libjavaplugin_oji.so ?

iamzen
22nd November 2007, 12:19 PM
I just went through and did it on my machine. I just needed to do in Terminal:
su
ln -s /usr/java/latest/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

In your case, the /usr/java/latest might be a bit different depending on where java is on your machine. Troy

p.s. I am curious, in Firefox does the java on this page (http://iamzen.home.att.net/java/TTT.html) work for you? Can you give a link for the Yahoo one that does not work so I can check it out? Troy

Gnathorhizidae
23rd November 2007, 02:31 AM
Hi
SCREENSHOT: shows the problem
You can see the Java ' Dancing man ' and other webpages such as Yahoo! Pool and 'Tic-tac-toe' :confused:

Java is installed in /usr/java
I guess i had created the symbolic link before when I went through the tutorial
TERMINAL ______________________
[kez@localhost ~]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost kez]# ln -s /usr/java/latest/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
ln: creating symbolic link `/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so': File exists
[root@localhost kez]#

``````NEWS FLASH```````
Eureka!!
Whilst writing this reply below which I will leave on in case anyone reads this thread with similar issues..
But what I did was Go to Konqueror>Settings>Configure Konqueror> ( window pops up) Java and JavaScript > select "Use KIO"

Bingo its working in Konqueror :cool:
Firefox is still "install missing plugin" doesn't seem to have this KIO option
but good enough for me

Thanks your persistence to help me. I hope you share the feeling of success too!!!! :p

JohnVV
23rd November 2007, 03:49 AM
i too was having the same issue

Nautilus -> Edit -> Preferences -> Behaviour -> Always Open in Browser Windows

I knew it was something so simple that it was staring it in the face and not seeing it

iamzen
23rd November 2007, 04:45 AM
I got it to work, but a little different than the "manuals" say. I installed the jdk-6u3-linux-i586-rpm.bin (http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp) version from Sun since I do write java programs. It installs to /usr/java instead of /opt
*note on retrospection; I should have used /usr/java/latest instead of /usr/java/jdk1.6.0_3

I saved it to my home folder, opened terminal and did:
su -
./jdk-6u3-linux-i586-rpm.bin

Before installing it, I had already installed the libs needed - ie in terminal:
su -
yum -y install compat-libstdc++-33 compat-libstdc++-296
/sbin/ldconfig

Then I made the link to the browser plugin:
su -
ln -sf /usr/java/jdk1.6.0_03/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

The next step, you have to log out(not reboot) and re-login as root
opened gedit(text editor) and put in the following before saving it as /etc/profile.d/java.sh
export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jdk1.6.0_03
PATH="/usr/java/jdk1.6.0_03/bin:$PATH"

In terminal, did:
source /etc/profile.d/java.sh

The next step, you have to log out(not reboot) and re-login as yourself:
Finally, I did:
su -
/usr/sbin/alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java /usr/java/jdk1.6.0_03/bin/java 2
/usr/sbin/alternatives --config java
/usr/sbin/alternatives --install /usr/bin/javac javac /usr/jdk1.6.0_03/bin 2
/usr/sbin/alternatives --config javac
sed -i 's/XINERAMA/FAKEEXTN/g' /usr/java/jdk1.6.0_03/jre/lib/i386/xawt/libmawt.so

Opened up Firefox and was running Sun's Java in the browser.

The "sed -i 's/XINERAMA/FAKEEXTN/g' /usr/java/jdk1.6.0_03/jre/lib/i386/xawt/libmawt.so" set turned out to be really important for it to work in Firefox.

Troy