PDA

View Full Version : Fedora Core PCMCIA hang

V.8mr
19th November 2007, 12:56 AM
I am new to Linux and i am taking a Linux class as part of my curriculum.

I recently installed fedora core that came with my Red Hat Fedora bible, installation went smoothie but when i boot, it hangs when it tries to load PCMCIA services. I pressed i and can get fedora to boot successfully but i cant access the internet because i believe my wireless nic utalizes PCMCIA. I also downloaded ndiswrapper-1.49 but after i extracted it and performed make install, it stopped with an error condition. I don't remember exactly what it is, but I read that the Linux kernel has to be 2.6.11 i believe but my kernel is only 2.6.8 i believe....

I dont even know if im going in the right direction.
Can anyone help me with my PCMCIA hang so that i can access the internet?

V.8mr
19th November 2007, 01:35 AM
My wireless card is a Intel Pro/wireless 2200 BG

forkbomb
19th November 2007, 01:47 AM
I have some experience with that card, but...

What version of Fedora are you using? In Fedora 7 and 8, you shouldn't need ndiswrapper. All you need to do is make sure you have the firmware installed.

V.8mr
19th November 2007, 01:51 AM
it is fedora core 4. I believe its fedora 7?!? Its on another HD so i cant see without rebooting and changing the boot order in my bios.

forkbomb
19th November 2007, 01:54 AM
Update. Fedora Core 4 hasn't been supported for about 2 years.

That card should work out of the box in newer versions, plus you'd actually have up to date software.

EDIT: most recent isn't 7, it's Fedora 8 (released a couple weeks ago)

V.8mr
19th November 2007, 01:57 AM
I see. So how can i get a current version of Fedora, do i need only to upgrade or complete install? If i were able to get onto the web i would be able to update from fedora right?

forkbomb
19th November 2007, 02:10 AM
Upgrading from version n to version n+1 is usually doable, but even that can get shaky. Going more than that gets rough and probably impossible. Just grab an install image and burn it to disc. Then do a full format and re-install. Back up first, of course. http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora

V.8mr
19th November 2007, 07:56 PM
OK so i downloaded Fedora 8 from the link you provided, burnt an ISO DVD, booted and chose to install fedora eight. It goes through a lot of "stuff" and it stops on
"running /sbin/loader"

And just freezes. Now what???? Someone help

forkbomb
19th November 2007, 09:55 PM
OK so i downloaded Fedora 8 from the link you provided, burnt an ISO DVD, booted and chose to install fedora eight. It goes through a lot of "stuff" and it stops on
"running /sbin/loader"

And just freezes. Now what???? Someone help

I read elsewhere on the forum of other people having the exact same problem. So, I just ran a search of the forum with the terms "running /sbin loader install" and this is what i got:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/search.php?searchid=5187700

You could also try LinuxQuestions:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/search.php?searchid=1871303

Maybe there's something there that would help you. I'd try the Fedora Forums first. When you have a problem, please search first before running back and saying "Someone help." If you've had the problem, chances are other people have, as well. And chances are also very good that somebody's already posted about the problem and through help has already resolved it and said how.

V.8mr
19th November 2007, 09:59 PM
I read elsewhere on the forum of other people having the exact same problem. So, I just ran a search of the forum with the terms "running /sbin loader install" and this is what i got:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/search.php?searchid=5187700

You could also try LinuxQuestions:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/search.php?searchid=1871303

Maybe there's something there that would help you. I'd try the Fedora Forums first. When you have a problem, please search first before running back and saying "Someone help." If you've had the problem, chances are other people have, as well. And chances are also very good that somebody's already posted about the problem and through help has already resolved it and said how.
Thanx for your help, I'm a little frustrated is all and i apologize. Thanx for your help! :)

forkbomb
19th November 2007, 10:03 PM
Sorry if my tone seemed snippy, but the forums see a lot of people clicking on "New Topic" when the first response should be clicking on "Search." Your frustration is warranted (we've all been there - myself included). The most important lesson of Linux use: Google.com (or whatever search engine you like) is your friend! :)

By all means make a post if the solutions in the other threads are unclear or don't work, and maybe somebody can help. Welcome to the forums and to Fedora, btw.

V.8mr
19th November 2007, 10:24 PM
Sorry if my tone seemed snippy, but the forums see a lot of people clicking on "New Topic" when the first response should be clicking on "Search." Your frustration is warranted (we've all been there - myself included). The most important lesson of Linux use: Google.com (or whatever search engine you like) is your friend! :)

By all means make a post if the solutions in the other threads are unclear or don't work, and maybe somebody can help. Welcome to the forums and to Fedora, btw.

I understand and should have known better, i have been a member of a couple of automotive forums for years and thats the first thing we tell people is to search. :D

Thanx again.